Hi, I have been lurking on here for about a month and got some great information. I am looking into buying a mini excavator to develop a 15,000 sq foot piece of land i bought to build a duplex on. I plan to do everything I can with the size of the machine and within my capabilities. I already removed all of the big stumps with a tb235, which I rented for a day. I need to be able to haul the mini-x with a f-250. I do not have a big enough trailer either so I am looking into going with a 12,000lb dump trailer with d-rings to tie the mini-x down. So I am looking for adivce and tips on buying used equipment, it migh be a long shot but I would like to get the machine and trailer for around 20,000. I have operated a Case CX25 and the Takeuchi TB235, the tak seemed a better machine but the case was in rough shape from united rentals. There is not a big selection on used gear in Nova Scotia, I will travel to get a good deal. And what are your takes on buying rental equipment? Sorry for the long first post!
A mini like that is very useful for the type of project you are talking about. I have a Takeuchi TB145 that I am very happy with. I tried out several other brnads before I deciced on mine. Sometimes I am amazed at all the different things you can do with them. You can certainly dig footings backfill, do utility trenches, and a whole variety of other things. I have used it a a crane many times and do a lot of loading and unloading with it. About the only thing they don't do is move dirt a long distance because of the slow travel speed. I would say find a good deal and buy it. If you calculate your savings by being able to do a lot of parts of the project by yourself, it may not end up costing you that much.
It would seem that while it might be nice to have around for a few things on this project, it would certainly not accomplish all that you will need to do. It would seem to me that a backhoe would be better suited for a job like this, you can move material around the jobsite, grade, dig deeper (as for sewer tie in). I do the mini ex thing as well, and prefer it over backhoe but a mini ex isn't a stand alone piece for a lot jobs. If I could only have one piece of gear it would be tough to have that be a mini ex, especially that size of mini. Unless your planning on building numerous duplexs, does buying a machine (any machine) to put one up one duplex pencil out? Unless there are no excavators in that area or someother situation like it, it would seem that hiring out would be more cost effective.
Thanks for the input! We will be living in one side of the duplex and renting out the other, so after about 6 years, or sooner if we can do it we will build our house, then if all goes well build another duplex. Originally I was looking at a backhoe as it would be usefull to plow snow with, but with the size of it i figured it would be hard to do the landscaping and finish work once the house was up. Contracting out maybe be a little more cost effective, but with my primary job I have a great work schedule of 4 days on 6 days off, which gives me lots of time to do this kind of work which I enjoy. Between the building of the duplex and house, if I still enjoyed doing this type of work I would try to pick up a few odd jobs with the machine I had during my days off. I figure I could also sell the machine if I had to once done with it and get around what I paid for it. But I will give the backhoes another look, and also give a few local excavating companies a call to get a price on the work, rather then go from what guys are telling me it cost.
Has anyone had any experience with this type of machine? http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-...ticulating-Tractor-REDUCED-W0QQAdIdZ239852552
Not with the 310 but the 410's and 510's get used in the mines here a lot, mostly as forklifts but also with backhoes for odd jobs. They are tough, hold up well and everybody seems to want to get a deal on a used one when they get replaced. Personally I like them better than a skidsteer for small jobs.
I own a kabota kx91-3. When I bought it I also tested out a tak tb 135. Also an awesome machine. The only thing the turned me to the kabota was the angle blade. Other than that they both are pretty much equally matched
Get the Takeuchi. You'll know why when it comes time to repair it.
I may be with ksss on this. as much as I detest rubber tired hoes. If you can only have one machine they are the way to go. other wise buy a large skid steer 8-9000 lbs and a large mini x 10-12000 lbs. that is my opinion .
Ive run tlb's but when it came down to buying my own I went with a lg. mini, a tak tb53fr and havent looked back one bit. That being said, if I didn't have any other support equipment, I'd have had a nh tld I believe and a 115 at that. 1/2 the time I'm using my excavator, I'm using the dump truck too. Now I need the dump for transport as well so its already there. Single axle gas dumps are not that expensive, 6k with get you a nice older one, 1500 will get you one that isn't road worthy but makes a nice site rig. Only time I use a loader is when I'm backfilling a foundation and if I have alot of dirt to move I bring in a ctl or skidloader for pushing off. If I have a house foundation or other big dig, I bring my 450c tracloader in, but thats just till I can get a 110 or 120 sized hoe.
I have just over 100 hours on the little 3500lb Takeuchi TB-016 I bought at auction (United rental unit) for work around my, not quite 1/4 acre yard.That's right 1/4 acre. Yes,all my friends think I'm nuts (they may be right). For me,I can't just 'hire out' for a project.Due to my schedule I can't be around most of the times when a worker is available or wants to do the job. And I won't hire those that don't respect my country. The big jobs that will be forthcoming include digging out a cracked foundation for the main house,removing a cracked/heaved slab in a garage,demo a shed (and slab) and check for remnants of a septic system that might need removing. All this would be more than 1/2 the price of a new TB-016. Work done so far includes removing a 10'-12' swath of bamboo from the back property line,3 tree removals-working on a fourth for my neighbor (putting a 'ripper-saw' together for that one) and have 3 more very large Camphor's to plan on. I've also done a sewer repair (clay to CI),removed a small section of heaved driveway slab,dug out and prepared a bed for a small tree planting (2-quad stem,1-single stem aspens),dug out and prepared a bed for transplanting 3 other smaller aspens, and most recently,again,removed the blackberries that encroach between two garages w/o a scratch. The TB-016 is the biggest machine I can make use of on this small lot and I feel I would be crippled without it. And then there's another neighbor who really lit up when I drove across the street to scrape off the crabgrass (it hurt watching the old guy shovel) and dig out a rose for him. Not a typical situation to consider owning equipment but I'm a believer. Now if I can just finish hooking up the auger I can start the fence.Which means I'll have to complete the rear property line grade and gravel first,then paint out the graffiti on the garages before the fabric goes up. Yep, lots to do with that little machine! Skies. Jay
1997 JD 8100 Tractor Sells for Record $91,000 on Nebraska Auction!!! See more Here!!!
I take it that a Takeuchi is easy to work on or that parts are inexpensive? I was also thinking about going with a skidsteer with a hoe attachment, about 15 years ago a contractor dug the basement for my parents addition with that kind of set up. I also remember him getting stuck in the mud and had to get pulled out by the cement truck. The day I rented the mini-ex for my land, a wheeled machine would of made a big mess or would have been stuck alot because of the constant light rain. I can only get one machine and would like to get the most out of it, and a full-sized tlb would be great before the house is up, but after that it would be tough to get around. What are your guys takes on a skid with a hoe?
I had one when first got started. I never much cared for it but if your not doing a lot of serious digging it may work. Really depends on what you expect to do with it. Productive is low, dig depth is poor, breakout marginal. It is a pain to have to unhook to use the bucket to move material with then hook up the hoe to go back to excavating. From a contractor standpoint, where productivity is everything, they are not a good solution for anything but shallow, sparse digging. A mini ex or backhoe is way more productive. Maybe you should look at it like this: Buy the machine that will make/save you the most money and rent or hire out for the remainder. So if a backhoe will allow you to get the utilities in, dig the footings or foundation and backfill, but will struggle final grading and landscaping then rent a skid steer or CTL for that. Its all about getting the best Return On Investment whatever the machine is that will give that to you, buy it.
just get a rubber tire and call it good.
First off my experience is only a bit over 20hrs on my MX45 Excavator but probably a hundred or so on the skidsteer - I am not a commercial operator! Love having both of them. The skidsteer is set up with a decent backhoe attachment but I have never used it seriously. It had no roll protection and was isolated from the skidsteer controls - seemed outright dangerous to me. Having used the excavator and understanding it's limitations I would regard the skidsteer backhoe as a bit of a toy or ornament - good maybe for digging a trench on level ground and that is about it. The excavator on the other hand with the offsetting boom is really useful. It does not have the reach of a single piece boom but more than makes up for it in versatility in digging next to a trench and also digging on slopes you can keep the weight to the higher side with less chance of tipping. Hard to see how I could have dug the 100 meters of trenching I did recently on 15 degree slope and more with straight boom. Used the blade to stabilise all the time. I also used it as a crane to lift the install of some 10 Solar Trackers into place - dont know how I would do that without it???? So I would say the skidsteer is indispensable for general use - I am on 20 acres and take care of about 5 or so. The Excavator is light years ahead of the skidsteer backhoe attachment. Just my 20c worth! Best of Luck, MX45 - you can see my machine on the this site.