I got sent out the other day to "dig a hole". My tools were a rental mini and a 3.5 tonne truck (max legal load around 700 kilos). About a foot down, it was mostly clay. It stuck in the bucket and it stuck to the bed.
There's nothing really exceptional about this job, but there was about a half inch of mud coating everything. It wouldn't be worth mentioning if the tires on the little dump truck (cart imo) had any form of tread on them. Notice the way the driveway is. The rows of pavers combined with the mud acted like rails that made steering interesting.
That can't weigh more than 700 kilos. Every 5th load, I had to scrape out the bed.
After I finished leveling the gravel, one of the owners' dogs jumped in the hole and ran around in there. I made the mistake of putting the machine down in the hole to level out the gravel. The machine was too gutless to run the hoe and the track motors at the same time for climbing back out.:Banghead I couldn't dig my way out because there's a concrete footing running the perimeter of the hole just below grade. I had to set the machine at more of an angle than I liked before swinging around and pushing the machine up so that it was level and then walk it out.
The driver gave up on backing the trailer down the driveway. The trailer kept sliding off to the side. The decision was made to drop the trailer at a nearby parking lot and carry the pool 200 meters to the site with the truck crane. This is the first pool I've ever installed. The funny thing is, I'm working for a carpentry/roof framing company. The boss took this job as a subcontractor for the pool sales company because he knew he could put me on the job. The pool company owner told me he wants me to be his pool installer. This works out nicely because I had already given notice at work and will be starting out on my own in January. We've been swamped with rain this past week, so I haven't been able to finish the job yet. The forcast for the week ahead doesn't look much better, so don't hold your breath for any pictures of the finished product.
I think it was safe to say that you had more than 700KGs on thsat van more like 1600 +!!!!! at least you weren't driving on the road with it. Nice job though. Is that a libra mini you hired? Who's is the pel-job mini?
Yeah, there's no way I would have taken that out on the road. I told my future-former employer that it could only handle about 1 cubic meter at a time. He told me to just heap it on. :beatsme The pin at the body on the dump ram looks a little bent after that job. This job convinced me that I will need a 7.5 to 10 ton truck. The rental was a Messersi (sp?) with 4,600 hrs on it. It had no power on the crowd and no work equip. functions while tracking. The pel-job belongs to my boss....I mean future ex boss. Cheers. :drinkup
No power on the dipper crowd or bucket crowd/curl? Not good either way!! Messersi are/were sold as Libra mini's over here in the UK
It had no power on the dipper crowd....and it had no power on the bucket curl. I suspect that the rental outfit had lowered the relief pressure settings. They'd benefit both in reduced wear on the machine and in longer rentals because it just can't work as fast as it should. I mentioned it to them. I said that it doesn't have the power of a new machine. They laughed and said "That's because it's not a new machine". They stopped laughing when I pointed out that their rental rates were the same as the rental houses that rent out new machines. The weather should be better tomorrow. I should be heading back there with a helper.
Priceless