Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

BUYING Mini_Excavator (8Ton)

btX1218 ยท 2015-05-08 14:10

Hi guys, I am looking for a 8-ton mini excavator in the market. The job would be mainly for foundation work, pile cap digging not particularly deep excavation work involve. From local market analysis, I have a couple brands to choose in my region, CAT, Volvo (ECR88), Doosan(DX-85R) and Hyundai|(80-7) . Prices are from high to low repeatedly. CAT price is too high for me so thats out of question, which then left me Volvo (ECR88), Doosan(DX-85R), Hyundai|(80-7) . I am totally new to the field with limited knowledge to decide, very much appreciate you guys suggestions. Prices are follow Volvo - USD$90,000 Dossan - USD$67,500 Hyundai- USD$54,000 1) Expense wise, i would jump right into hyundai any time, BUT the brand is so new to me that I really doubt the quality compare to the other two. 2) Volvo and Dossan share same country of origin and very much similar specs. therefor i dont see that i would be paying more money for Volvo. 3) If its worth that money i might even consider getting CAT as while. Anyway these are just my newbie thought. Feel free to point me wrong. this matter is urgent, so your pin point suggestion are very much needed. I hope to hear someone with experience with these machineries can guide me through this.

Replies7
  1. #1Landclearer2015-05-08 16:52

    I cannot give any opinions in the three you mentioned but we have a Kubota KX-080 and are very happy with the machine. I have run a Cat 308 and thought it was not very impressive especially for the money.

  2. #2JDfan500C2015-05-09 23:28

    Look at Deere they are very good machines.

  3. #3NumberFour2015-05-10 01:31

    I'd go Volvo, assuming their support is up to par. Unfortunately you won't know this until you really need help, I'd opt for the Doosan before the Hyundai strictly based on their partnership with bobcat. If a brand like bobcat is willing to allow doosan to supply their power plants, I'd be willing to stand behind a doosan. That being said I've personally never been a bobcat guy but really they have given kubota the best run for the money, next to Takeuchi but that goes without saying. Since we are strictly talking 'midis' hands down I'd opt for a tak tb290. Next I'd go kubota, Volvo, hitachi/Deere, cat. With the price jump of a Volvo I'd go to a tak or kubota and risk it. We have a hard 4200 hours on our kubota and our operators can't say enough good things about it. Any serious **** up will put you down for a week,I'd rather run problem free 8+ years and deal with the odd issues then deal with a couple issues each year which will more then likely happen with Hyundai or Doosan. Our kubota has only needed a track tensioner, which again after 4200 hours is nothing! At the end is the day it's nice having a matching fleet, brand name equipment, but for a few hundred psi in hydraulic specs its not worth the jump. For the 30k you save you could get another machine/truck/trailer/operator/ two used skids. Again it is strictly based on application. You want ground pressure? Volvo/komatsu. you want depth, power, and reliability? Kubota. Want a kubota but not enough flow? Takeuchi. After any of these factors, go for price it will benefit you in the long run.

  4. #4TrentNz2015-05-10 02:32

    Im not a big fan of hyundai or doosan under 14t. Be better off getting a low hour hitachi/deere in my opinion.

  5. #5cdm1232015-05-10 20:03

    The Kubota 080's are a very capable machine.

  6. #6btX12182015-05-11 13:21

    Thank you guys for the helpful reply. Heard a lot about Kobota being a beast in the forum but sadly they dont have a dealer in my country:beatsme.Special thanks to NumberFour for the thorough explaining on the machines. That is the answer i like to be told. Anyway, i just pick up Doosan (Dx-85R). Hope less trouble in the future.

  7. #7cdm1232015-05-11 22:19

    Good luck, hope it works out for you.