Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Buying out of state question

JNB ยท 2015-08-13 11:58

I've been looking at single axle dumps for awhile now. If I purchase out of state, do I pay their local tax or handle it in my own state when I get back? Seems it would have to be paid there. I bought a new horse trailer in SoCal before I left and they gave me a form that covered the trailer licensing (for a set time) while I traveled to Texas. That was a long time ago and I don't remember the details on the tax.

Replies11
  1. #1Delmer2015-08-13 12:06

    I think it varies with the state. MN collects the tax and makes you sort it out later. WI lets the vehicle leave and the tax be paid when it's registered in another state. I'm not sure how they handle temporary plates. I don't think you ever pay the sales tax twice.

  2. #2lantraxco2015-08-13 12:24

    If you have a resale certificate in your state for any reason, or if you're one of the lucky holdouts like me here in Oregon where there is no state sales tax, you get a pass when you pick it up. But then you would have to report it to your state and pay tax on it when it is sold. Six/half dozen? That's my understanding.

  3. #3JNB2015-08-13 12:40

    I just checked with our DMV. I can get a temp/travel form and pay when I get back. There are a lot of clean trucks in Cal and the Phoenix area. I have friends in both areas that drive dumps for a living to go check them out real good before I make a trip. Separate question - I'll mainly be using the truck to haul a 10 ton tag and do haul-offs when I need. Is there any reason to go heavier than a 26k truck? Reg price (and I'm sure insurance) is based on weight. Don't want to pay more if I don't need it.

  4. #4Knocker of rock2015-08-13 12:46

    Tax at the point of sale is dependent on the state at which the sale occurs. If the vehicle is to be exported (immediately moved and licensed in another state), sales or excise tax in that state may be waived. The new state will require either sales or excise tax when the vehicle is imported and registered in the new state of operation. But any sales tax or equivalent paid in the previous state is subtracted form the amount due in the new state. So you are not doubled taxed.

  5. #5lantraxco2015-08-13 12:55

    Depends on your state's regs. Here in Oregon we have to license based on GCVW, so if you license for 26K and you're over that with the trailer you are supposed to buy a permit every time you move with it.

  6. #6Knocker of rock2015-08-13 12:58

    The OP's question was about sales tax or the equivalent. Trip permits an the like are a different mater.

  7. #7lantraxco2015-08-13 13:19

    :beatsme

  8. #8JNB2015-08-13 13:34

    Uh....the permit comment was by the OP. Thanks for the info though!

  9. #9mowingman2015-08-13 14:54

    I buy out of state trucks and trailers quite often. You will want to get a "one trip tag". It is a temporary lic. tag that allows you to drive the truck home to Texas. The cost is less than $25.00 as I recall. There is no sales tax to pay in any other state, unless you register the truck in that state for some reason. You will be charged sales tax at the current Texas Motor Vehicle Tax rate, when you go register the truck and get your plates. I believe it is still 6.25%, but I could be wrong. Jeff

  10. #10JNB2015-08-13 15:28

    Thanks Jeff, I appreciate the info.

  11. #11old-iron-habit2015-08-13 18:20

    I bought a rig in CA a few years back and the dealer and I drove it to the border and he sold it to me in Nevada to save me paying CA taxes. They were dealer licensed in both states. Not sure how it works now.