Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Spicer 7 speed ID

doublewide ยท 2015-08-13 19:23

Hey guys, Hope someone out there could help me out here. I'm looking for info on a Spicer 7 speed transmission (I think) model PS97 - 7A, in a 1991 International tractor model 800SER. It's behind (from what I've been told) a 300 Cummins. I am inheriting the responsibility of driving this thing and there are no maintenance records for anything. Specifically looking for what oil to use in the trans. Also, synchronized or not. Thanks for any help.

Replies7
  1. #1lantraxco2015-08-13 19:46

    Closes thing I could find: http://www.tremec.com/anexos/2369_18.pdf Does not appear to be a synchro transmission.

  2. #2doublewide2015-08-14 06:39

    Thanks lantraxco , I appreciate your help.

  3. #3Nige2015-08-14 07:19

    Spicer's are (were) generally constant mesh transmissions, not synchro.

  4. #4GregsHD2015-08-14 11:10

    The only synchro Spicers are a medium duty trans, 5, 6, and a 7 speed known as a 6+1. They are mostly found in 5 tons. Your Spicer 7 speed is an old girl, large case, constant mesh. SAE 50w transmission oil is what you'll want to fill her up with.

  5. #5doublewide2015-08-14 20:00

    Hey guys, thanks for the help. You know I called the local International dealer today and the parts guy couldn't find any info for me and when he transferred me to the service department the mechanic said "yeah we put gear oil in those trannys" I said, you mean 90 weight and he said "well I think it says 85 something" and I said you mean 85w90 gear oil? and he said "yeah, gear oil, we put it in all our trannys" OK thanks, click. Thanks again!

  6. #6lantraxco2015-08-14 20:12

    85w90 and 50w TO-4 gear oil are different but roughly the same if that makes any sense? I agree the 50w is usually better, I buy mine from CAT (TDTO 50) for my planetary final drives.

  7. #7doublewide2018-03-25 19:30

    Wondering if you guys could help me out here. This truck has always blown a lot of soot, but lately, it seems to be blowing a lot of blue smoke. What might that suggest?