Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Buying parts

Welder Dave · 2024-07-19 19:03

Not really heavy equipment parts but could apply to parts for anything. I need new blades for a 3pt. finish mower but the distributor for over 30 years has dropped the line with no idea where to get new blades. I went to a larger mower shop to inquire about getting blades I found on the internet. On a couple occasions when the guy said he'd call me he never did. He was waiting to here from a couple places that had the right blades but they weren't getting back to him. I found some similar blades that would work on a Bobcat mower. They just need the center hole enlarged. I let him know about these blades and he said a warehouse in Ont. has only 3 in stick which is what I need. I can get them from the Bobcat too with no shipping if I wait for their normal Bobcat order which would be around the end of the month. Talking to him he said he spent a couple hours looking for suitable blades. I don't mind paying a little more since he spent a bunch of time looking and contacting suppliers for me. There were standard blades and lazer edge blades and he was going to call this morning to see the difference in price and call to let me later today. I never got a call so called his shop but he had to make a delivery and was gone for the day. As I mentioned this isn't the first time he hasn't called when he said he would. I was actually finding blades that could be suitable. As much as I appreciate him spending time looking, I'm a little peaved he doesn't call when says he will. I'm wondering if others would accept this or just go to Bobcat and order them and save $30 or so and get them on the way?

Replies10
  1. #1Diesel Dave2024-07-19 20:11

    Dave, Cut him loose, the guy is taking advantage of your patience. He knows very well that poor customer communication doesn’t fly but is still willing to risk his time investment and ultimately losing the sale.

  2. #2TCat2024-07-19 22:02

    Buy them cheaper elsewhere. He will probably never call you back, but if he does I would let him know hey I was trying to keep the business with you but my equipment was down and you failed to call me back when you said you would. I try to help local small businesses when I can, but I’m not going to work harder to keep them in business than they do themselves.

  3. #3Welder Dave2024-07-19 22:04

    I'll see if he calls tomorrow. When I said I could get the blades through Bobcat he was surprised there was no shipping charge and that's when he mentioned he'd spent a couple hours trying to find blades. I was the one that actually found the blades and was trying to see if he could cross reference them or get them. He said to let him know and he'll stop looking if I'm going somewhere else. I thought he was trying pretty hard to find the blades so I went to see him yesterday (he's pretty close) and asked what shipping would be. He said probably about $30. A Bobcat warehouse had 1 set of std. blades. His price was about $1 more than Bobcat, no big deal. I figured I could pay an extra $30 for shipping since he was working on trying to find blades. I wouldn't like it if I spent time trying to help someone and they went somewhere else but I found the blades. He said he was going to see about the laser edge blades and cost and then call me to today to discuss which blades to get. I waited till about 4pm and after being on hold for 5 minutes was told he had to make a delivery and was gone for the day. A few days earlier he never called me back either. It's not the worst customer service but if he doesn't want to be ticked off if go to Bobcat, I think he should call me back when he says he will. I was willing to pay more to give him the sale. If he's too busy to call me and loses the sale is on him. Not a big sale but still not very good customer service. I'm not wanting the blades for next year. The end of the month is fine but the sooner ordered the sooner I get them unless I go through Bobcat. Bobcat said to let them know by Tuesday. I'll see if I get a call before Mon. afternoon. I don't think I should have to keep calling him back. The thing I'd like is if he could a get response for some blades that are the same as the originals. Apparently he's e-mailed and called but hasn't got a response yet. I'm not waiting forever if I can modify some similar style blades to work and get them fairly quickly.

  4. #4JAJ2024-07-19 23:18

    We have similar problems with people not calling back... I am sometimes guilty of it myself I must admit, but I do try to avoid doing it to other people. What really annoys me on top of the "fail to call back" is we don't have mobile network coverage any where near us so until recently we only the landline for calls, so you sit around in the house for half a day waiting for someone to call you back.... only to get sick of waiting and they call back 5 minutes after you walk out. You miss the call and the whole process often repeats when you call them back!!! The wasted time drives me up the wall. We have recently got a new type of satellite internet that is good enough to do wifi calling on our mobiles so I have a Wifi extender out in the shed now and at least I can do something productive in the shed (or get on the HEF forum ) while I wait. The wifi doesn't go far from the shed though so the same still frequently happens. But back to the point you are making, I just don't think unfortunately most people care much about the job they are doing or the inconvenience they cause other people or businesses. I try hard to support local businesses where I can and we have some awesome local businesses, but I am finding I am getting more and more stuff online. My strengthening belief (for better or worse??) is, if they don't want to support me why should I suffer to support them. Best of luck finding your blades, its shocking how hard you are having to look for them!!

  5. #5Welder Dave2024-07-19 23:57

    I found the exact blades online in the US but they don't mention shipping to Canada. I sent an an e-mail I hope they get. If they don't ship to Canada has anyone used Shippsy or another shipping broker to get US products to Canada?

  6. #692U 34062024-07-20 14:16

    I've noticed the same thing. I'd rather buy something off the internet than deal with people that don't care enough to follow through with something they've agreed to do.

  7. #7Welder Dave2024-07-20 22:55

    Well no call today. He's got till early Monday or I'll go somewhere else. I sent a text to a place and it asked for my e-mail. I came home to check my e-mails and it says my account isn't active. ***, this damn place we get out internet and cable is constantly having problems.

  8. #892U 34062024-07-20 23:10

    Maybe they got blue screened by that massive Windows screwup that bricked a ton of computers last week?

  9. #9Welder Dave2024-07-20 23:40

    Maybe but it's Shaw so who knows??

  10. #10Welder Dave2024-07-22 16:09

    I called a supplier in the US and they are shipping me 2 new sets of blades. It's just easier getting the proper blades. I think the guy was confused though and got the blade cost and shipping confused. The blades are about $85cad. for a set and I think shipping is about $40. I'll call tomorrow and confirm when I get a tracking number for UPS. I'm getting 2 sets since they are hard to find in Canada. Could have a new set if I decide to sell the property in a few years. Never heard from the guy at the lawnmower shop. Maybe he was hoping I'd go away?