Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Buying parts online?

Welder Dave ยท 2021-06-01 17:57

I need a new water pump for my 931B. It is an aftermarket pump being replaced. Cat wants $1200 for a new pump and over $600 for a rebuilt. Prices from a couple local dealers are $465 and $399 for aftermarket but no stock. Online I get pump from a dealer I've dealt with before(Finney) for $175 cad. plus about $60 shipping. Seems like a no brainer but thought I'd ask here? Anybody buy aftermarket online?

Replies11
  1. #1stinky642021-06-01 20:02

    Ya get what ya pay for Dave, aftermarket provides a quick cheap fix , but over the years I've found that cheap ain't always good, whether it be a cheap Chinese chainsaw jug/piston kit or hydraulic pump on a hoe, nowadays I just suck it up and spend the extra chicken for one and done parts that last...you can buy a die grinder from Garbage Freight that lasts 2 weeks or 2 years, its always a crap shoot.....

  2. #2treemuncher2021-06-01 20:12

    I've had difficult to find water pumps that were overpriced before. My solution is to purchase the ceramic seal kit and a new set of bearings and rebuild it myself. If you have access to a small hydraulic press, it is fairly easy to do. The last one on my welder was over $250 for a tiny pump that was rebuilt with parts for under $75.

  3. #3Welder Dave2021-06-01 21:23

    Cat has rebuild kits but it's not a Cat pump. $610 for a rebuilt Cat pump is still crazy. Maybe I could see if the gravel pit near me could get it cheaper. They have a bunch of fairly new Cat equipment. $500 might be more realistic.

  4. #4Tugger22021-06-01 22:21

    I found a carb for my International cub online ,ordered it and it arrived on my doorstep a few days later,It fit works great. Just imagine the disappointment if the porch pirates had got it first ,who the H@ll wants a carb for a Cub anyhow.

  5. #5joe--h2021-06-02 12:35

    Rebuilding a water pump isn't rocket science, usually heat the impeller so it doesn't break if it's cast iron. The seal and the bearing is all you need no matter what brand it is. Joe H

  6. #6Welder Dave2021-06-02 13:40

    Finding the bearing and seal might be the hard part on an aftermarket pump.

  7. #7treemuncher2021-06-03 08:17

    I purchased some ceramic seal kits from a supplier in Nashville. I wish I could remember the name of the dealer but it's been a long time ago. I used to have a product sheet with all of the standard sizes offered. There were only so many standard sizes in the chart and of the two pumps that I had rebuilt in the past, they were of the standard sizings offered. Even if the outer hub dimension is off a few thousands, it still needs to be pressed in and that material is just the outer cup and quite malleable. As long as your inner shaft seal dimension is correct, you should be good.

  8. #8joe--h2021-06-06 00:53

    Dave, the seals are pretty common. I used to do Jag pumps & the seals were from the local appliance repair store. Same type ceramic seals fit in washing machines believe it or not. Bearings are bearings, might be hard to find but I was doing them pre internet so it was hunt & peck. Now I'd guess you can find what you need easily. Just don't break the impeller, then you are screwed. Joe H

  9. #9JLarson2021-06-06 01:07

    Probably can get a kit from Agkits for like 60-80 bucks.

  10. #10Sberry2021-06-10 08:23

    I would try the 175 pump and see how it goes. Does it need to last another 35 years? Lots of that stuff now is the same in a different box with different number on it, some only 1 digit off. We just went thru this with some wheel bearings. A guy says, I would never put that cheap thuing in my Cad but willing to pyut the one with a Napa sticker slapped over it in. Not always true but more and more due to the fact so little savings to short run products to try to cheapen them and so much money to be made putting it in a different box and even sold thru a different store. First slave in my pickup, 5 years, second 300$ one about the sa,e and got a aftermarket for half last longer than the first 2 and now the 65$ one has outlasted them all. You can pay as much as you want but doesnt mean you get more every time.

  11. #11Welder Dave2021-06-10 20:45

    Pump is on it's way but I'm kind of pizzed with Fedex. I should have bought direct from the supplier and had it shipped by mail. In the future I will not have anything shipped by Fedex. From what I've read they have the highest extra costs when shipping to Canada from the US. For almost a week Fedex states delivery by Friday June 11 end of day. I check today and they now say Monday June 14. I changed an appointment so I would be home all day on Friday. I don't know if it was held up in customs or what. Sure isn't as fast as sending by mail like my armrests were.