Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Buying track loader for our Ranch cat 963b

mike tbo ยท 2013-08-21 14:29

I have a ranch in Missouri and with the help of some of you folks steered me to a track loader. I need to dig out ponds, clear trees, dig creek rock to rebuild roads, and fix some rough fields. Its 2600 acres and we intend to keep it for the long term. I want something big enough so I don't regret not stepping up later. I have two I am looking at, first is a 1997 CAT 963b 8500 hrs new engine now 150hrs on new has AC but undercarriage and tracks (maybe more) look to be under 50% priced in the low $40'S. The second one is 1999 936 b 9300 hours has a 85% undercarriage and tracks a very noticeable difference in the heights of the tracks. It has "HYDRAULIC QUICK COUPLER GP BKT AND FORKS!" the engine is currently being rebuilt at the top with NO AC and priced at the upper $40's. . From what I read when the tracks are full and not worn down the machine runs more efficiently as it bites better and less slippage and or power. so my question is. 1, No 2 Seems like the smarter choice as engine has new top end and 85% undercarriage and I can add AC for about $3500. 2, How about the forks they must be 6' long and super thick. so I was wondering if there are other attachments available and does this really work exchanging buckets and forks without compromising the integrity of the machine just to have options. Thanks for anyone's time.

Replies11
  1. #1Anthonycecil2013-08-21 21:41

    I just think you maybe buying nothing but problems, that may take more days than you want to loose...tony

  2. #2Andrew_D2013-08-21 22:40

    Not seeing the machine's, so take this with a (big) grain of salt.... You're looking at roughly $10-15K difference by the time you get the second one set up the way you want (A/C, buckets, etc). Can you afford the extra? If so, I'd look at #2 with a new engine and 85% undercarriage.... #2 machine says General Purpose bucket and Forks. Are these 2 seperate pieces? Or is it one of those x-in-1 buckets with the flip over forks? You might be able to use it as is for now until you figure what style of bucket(s) you want. Also, do you NEED the A/C right away? If it can be added now, it could be added later. Maybe opening the windows is enough if you've got a breeze. But then, I'm a bit further north (and away from the ocean) so my climate is a bit different! Andrew

  3. #3mike tbo2013-08-21 23:36

    Good point thanks guys, don't really know if putting a new head on will solve the problem on no 2, the forks and bucket are separate like a tractor and you change them out, hence was thinking this may compromise the function of the bucket to allow to switch the bucket is smaller than standard, and or maybe there are other attachments but this may be nothing but trouble. I also found one in Georgia that has a 98% undercarriage and 6600 hours look at this track will post a picture sprocket everything new

  4. #4mike tbo2013-08-21 23:39

    price on this on is upper 40's

  5. #5mike tbo2013-08-21 23:56

    this is what ad says "Contractor Maintained 1996 CAT 963B, 6,630 hours. 98% undercarriage, original paint, AC hot & Cold. More photos available upon request" as you see it looks as the undercarriage has been repainted when replaced. I may drive up and take a look.

  6. #6bret1912013-08-22 02:54

    Mike Sounds like your looking for a machine that can do several jobs. As far as the 963 goes they are a fairly versatile tractor and if you plan on keeping it you will definitely want a QC! I have worked on these machine's and they are really easy to work on compared to a regular dozer (CAT). They are small enough to still be price per production on a small ranch as a big dozer can brake a person fairly quickly. The QC caterpillar installs on there machines are very strong and you will never have to worry about it accept for the normal wear items of course. The QC is a very nice thing to have, it make your machine a loader, dozer, fork lift street sweeper, hammer ect. and you do not have to invest in all the attachments as your rental store usually will handle them. I have seen a man on one of these in a grove of trees and rocks that needed to be cleared (360) acres approx and this thing with a clam shell bucket made quick work of it when every other machine we threw at it struggled. So QC is a must. As for the undercarriage, there is a lot more to seeing wear than just the grousers, you have the pins(you can feel them under the pad) then the link it self, it gets worn on the bottom that rides on the rollers, and the length, the pin bushings get worn and it stretches. I personally wouldn't buy any tracked machine without having it measured (unscrupulous people will throw decent pads on a worn out chain and hope no one notices)! it gives you a base to go on, as you can usually have the grouser built up to new height several times in the life of the pad. So the less wear on the tracks the better. Any Cat dealer will be more than happy to do it for you, and while there at it have them run the ser# threw there system and trace any recalls, warranty, updates that have or haven't been done to the machine, Cat has a web sight just for that purpose. CHEAP insurance! As for the A/C, you can have an after market top cab one put on fairy reasonable buy and good A/C person. Cat or a good Tech. will give you a list of parts you need or put a kit together for you. GOOD LUCK Bret

  7. #7Andrew_D2013-08-22 06:40

    Sounds like this one might be an even better deal. Might be in better shape than #2, already has the A/C, yet similar price. Andrew

  8. #8mike tbo2013-08-22 08:11

    Thanks Bret, I need to check out the pins did not know they could build up the pads, when I was at the dealer they showed me worn pins now it makes sense about the chain itself stretching and just adding new sprockets.

  9. #9mitch5042013-08-22 10:31

    Most Cat dealers will have a product support rep measure undercarriage and run the serial number for free, or cheap if they know you aren't going to give them more Business

  10. #10Barky2013-08-23 00:19

    Take someone with you to look at the UC. Have same drive machine and shift, load it down and listen, feel, for the trans and drives to sound/feel right. If you havent been on one enough to know what they are suppose to run like find someone to take with you. An extra set of eyes is good for spotting problems. Start motor stone cold and get it full hot during the demo. Take flashlight mirrors etc and also use your nose. Report back here on what you find. There are a lot of very knowledgeable guys on here that will help out a newbie and save you money I am a newbie and this is the place to learn. B Good luck..... Forgot, that's a hydro machine, possible to do a pressure test and drain test on motors?

  11. #11mike tbo2013-08-23 07:51

    Great Advise thanks, I tracked down the owner last night as there was a sticker from the place that sold it, ran the serial # and they told me the owner's name looked him up and called him. Both him and the shop that sold it had the same story which made me feel better. They both told me he ran a grading company bought this in 07 paid 79K for it and part of the deal was to replace the entire undercarriage some of the sheet metal and make it like new. He put 400 hours on it and said business dropped of so much that it has sat for several years and he cant afford it. Said he started it periodically backed it up and forward said only things wrong with it is AC needing charging and the wipers on cylinders were barely dripping from sitting and maybe would stop with use. He first told me it was under contract from the place in florida "Sam's" which I told him It was "me"', I am putting a refundable deposit and am trying to locate a mechanic to meet me there. He was a real "good ol boy" I hadn't made the deposit yes and was pleased to see that both of us did not want to cut out the sales center in Florida as the spent lots of $$ marketing it. So it appears it has sat for a wile, I guess the AC is like a car where the orings can dry out and needs to be recharged, it has spent its life in the Roswell area east of Atalanta with no rocks and has 6600 actual hours and they want 47K for it. so I may drive up Saturday if i can get someone to meet me there. Its a long drive But I think its best for me to see it myself I know how to check the pins and thanks for the great advice Barky!!!