Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Buzzing or Alarm

Ranch Hand · 2011-09-18 19:04

I don't know if the picture up load worked I'll assume so. I got the picture out of my user manual for my John Deere 160LC excavator. When I was running the machine today and was back by the hydraulic pump I heard a buzzing or alarm sounding and I have no idea what it is. The sound seemed to come from an area or even the box with the red arrow pointed to it. I don’t know if a hydraulic pump alarm, low fluid (it’s not I checked), clogged filter or some other system failure? Any one ever come across this issue?

Replies3
  1. #1willie592011-09-18 19:07

    Looks like a typical back up alarm that's used as a motion alarm when machine is in operation. Don't know why it would be beeping continuously though.

  2. #2sultan2011-09-18 20:22

    That's indeed the travel alarm for the machine. It should come on whenever the machine is moving backwards or forwards, and it should be cancellable by the alarm cancel button. Something must have gone wrong with the circuit that detects when the travel pedals are depressed and opens the relay that feeds the alarm. This probably isn't a very serious issue.

  3. #3Ranch Hand2011-09-18 21:15

    The travel alarm beeps on and off. This sound is constant. However; this machine is old and has a lot of oil covering this area. Could the oil possible be shorting out the travel alarm where it is a constant buzzing sound?