Last week I noticed that my oil pressure dropped from a normal of 40 psi to 20 psi. I had checked the oil before I started that morning and it was OK, so I stopped along the road and checked it again--OK again. There were no abnormal noises or vibrations but I didn't like this sudden, major drop so I took it to Cat to have them look it over. To my dismay, it appears a cam follower broke, which ruined the camshaft and perhaps the cylinder head. The tech at Cat said that this is not common but that he had seen it before. Now for my questions: How much does a typical overhaul cost for a C-12 (1999 model) and has this happened to anyone you know?
Get a second morgage , just kidding and that is the last thing you need ,but seriously looking around $12,000 to $14,000 depending the shop ,but if it is Cat shop is gong to be around this two figures.
yea looking around $14k more than likely , that should include the requal on CAT warranty as well..........then motor on , if the tech hasnt seen that too often they must not see a whole lotta c-12/c-10 engines up your way..........heck I only work at a non-cat dealer and I've seen it prob 3-4 times in the past year
Cat got the engine tore down some more and found that the head is OK, so we are looking at a bill of $6500. We are going to fix this truck and run it while we shop for a comparably equipped newer one. This truck will then go to a satellite store that needs a truck but doesn't do enough business (yet) to warrant a newer truck.
Glad to hear it got a bit easier to swallow. Bad times for bad things to be happening.
Yes but that's when they happen.
:exactlyyep you definately are correct sir!I've got a few customers who happen to be victems of murphys law on the regular ointhead