Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

C-15 High Voltage warning – won’t start

wgfunk ยท 2024-11-09 11:17

Hi have a Cat C-15 Genset. All active events cleared, but error light is on. The present warning is that its reading high voltage, and it showing over 20 volts. I assume (but I'm not sure) that its 12V? I've found a voltage adjustment in the controls, but can't change it. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2024-11-09 11:21

    Do you have a Serial Number for the genset.? It would help in finding information. Is the electrical system 12v or 24v.?

  2. #2wgfunk2024-11-09 11:39

    It says there are 3 active events, but there are 2 high volage warnings only (another for high voltage shutdown)

  3. #3MarshallPowerGen2024-11-09 11:53

    Ah, a C1.5 , not C15. Little Olympian replacer. What's the actual voltage at the battery terminals checked with a meter? If you disconnect the battery cables, what's the voltage show at the battery? Need to see if the charger has failed and boiling the battery, or if the battery has failed and the charger is trying to reach float.

  4. #4wgfunk2024-11-09 12:24

    13.54 Volts when the charger is on. Turned off the charger: And now its only reading 4.5 Volts Seems like the battery is not holding a charge. It says maintenance free, but has fill caps (looks like the previous owners had opened it before). I have a spare 12V car batter that I could swap as a test.

  5. #5wgfunk2024-11-09 17:26

    I tried my spare battery and removed the red error light. Thanks for the help.

  6. #6MarshallPowerGen2024-11-09 19:14

    Should be a standard Group 31 battery to replace it.

  7. #7wgfunk2024-11-09 19:29

    Thanks!