On my D3G (2005) there is a lip seal at each end of the bearing where the C-frame is pinned to the frame. I am referring to that joint where the C-frame articulates with the frame. It is greased by a remote grease fitting. While I was cleaning and greasing that joint, I found part of the rubber lip seal (that is the name that Cat has on the part in their diagram in the PartStore). In the diagram, it shows there is a rubber lip seal at each end of the bearing that the C-frame pivots on. I guess that its function is to help hold grease around the bearing. In any case, it is no longer intact at the joint on the right side of my machine. I grease my machine every time I use it. The grease can be seen coming up on both sides of the joint. I do not plan to replace the seal. I always have plenty of grease on that bearing. I am asking anyone who might know if this seal is important enough to replace. The C-frame bears on the bearing so the rubber seal would obviously have nothing to do with support. Afterall it is rubber. My guess is that the seal probably on both sides have lost function many hours ago. Please comment. Thanks.
I would say that the seal is supposed to keep the grease in and also keep water & dirt out, the same water & dirt that can turn itself into a grinding compound and take a bearing out. If it's missing the seal it can't do either very well despite the fact you're greasing the joint regularly to keep it lubricated. I would plan to replace it when you have a suitable opportunity, so long as you are greasing regularly and grease is coming out on both sides the joint itself should be OK in the short term.
Nige, that is what I think too. It would seal out water and dirt. I grease with a 14 volt cordless gun. I grease this zerk just like the others, until I see grease. I wonder if I broke the seal by over-greasing. I did not see anything in the O&M manual that said to grease this one differently. But I do recall that these joints often did not take grease easily and I thought the remote line to the joint was maybe stopped up. Anyone know more about this being a sealed joint? This is a 2005 D3G Cat.
Usually the lips of the seal are like a one-way valve. They are installed facing outwards so as to let grease flow out easily but not let water/dirt in. Greasing them shouldn't force them out of the joint. If you do replace the seal at some time install the new one with a bit of red Loctite on it just to make sure it's well stuck in place. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a seal installed backwards either ........
Hey inyati13, i saw in one of your old post a question about the trunion. Did you re shim that ? I have never personally done that . Just wondering if its a PITA?
dirtmonkey, it was not that big of a pain. I was able to set the blade on the ground and remove the trunnion cap without the blade moving. I did block up the c-frame. After removing one shim from each side, it made an awful noise when the blade was angled. I poured oil around the joint and it has now settled-in without any noise.
Thanks Nige. The lip seal looks just like you stated. That helps my understanding. Now if this seal is replaced, it seems like a big job. The blade and c-frame have to come off. That would take equipment I do not have to handle the weight. What would be the estimate for this job if done by a Cat dealer?
Thanks for your reply! The book was very generic in the explanation. Did you angle the blade and do each side at a time or all at once? I dont mean to be ''needy'', I have been very busy this year and dont want risk any ''brain fart '' down time if you know what i mean :Banghead I wasnt sure if the cap bolts would come out unless the blade was angled or if the blade would want to move , since ill probably be doing this by myself, as usual. Thanx again
A lot I would imagine. ...... As a thought about removing what you need to get at that pin. Instead of pulling the blade first could you leave it installed, then block both sides of the C-Frame with timber and/or jacks. Pull the pins on the C-Frame and then reverse the machine back just enough to be able to get at the seal to change it ...? Sorry can't come up with anything better without seeing it.
I would just keep greasing it. Sure it will wear out quicker but if you grease it often it will purge all the dirt. When it does wear out, just replace the seals, pin and bearing. Most C-frames dont use a lip seal and have an oscillating bearing that gets dirt directly on it and only greasing keeps it clean.
First, thank you Lee. I had decided to follow that plan. First, if I were to pull the blade and c-frame off, I would replace the bearing anyway at that point. So why not keep on greasing and running until I need to replace the bearing.
dirtmonkey, to get to the four bolt heads (1 3/16 inch heads), I had to angle the blade as far as it would go. I then used a one inch breaked bar and pipe to losen the bolts. I did one side a a time. The blade will stay in place. I did mine by my-self. It really went very easy.
Hey THANKS! I know i got you off topic but thank you again I like to go in ''armed'' if you know what i mean. Have a great week end !