Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

NEED HELP!!!! Vin locations on CAT D-8K No date plate

dressed2kill ยท 2011-10-04 14:02

I bought this D8 around 7 years ago from an individual who owned at least 60 of these cat's. Now its time to sell it, I have had it on the market since march and had several buyers, but I can't find a serial number anywhere on the machine. Everyone has told me to look on the left side of the frame under the fuel take but, again nothing. I have even gone as far as sanding the paint off several places to see if i could find some. Can anyone give me more exact places to look or even a photo of where it should be before I completely tear this machine apart!! thanks in advance

Replies11
  1. #1loggah2011-10-04 14:37

    There should be one stamped on the rear of the machine ,just under the fuel tank, if you have anything mounted on the rear,ripper,winch,pushing cushion ,it may be covering it up. Don

  2. #2Old Magnet2011-10-04 17:24

    s/n plates are normally located on the back of the bevel gear case, the left hand side of the cylinder block and on the lower right hand dash plate. If there are non it's history might be a little suspicious.

  3. #3dressed2kill2011-10-04 17:57

    thanks man, the machine get repainted about 5 years before it got it. the vin plates where never put on ( so im told). Where exactly on the block would it be? I have the engine code, and under the belly there's a spot that says b77 which might be the beginning numbers. every part on it has a stamped number. I hope I can find it, I have a potential buyer coming tomorrow.

  4. #4Old Magnet2011-10-04 21:02

    Here is where the numbers live.....or should live.

  5. #5Rusted2011-10-05 05:30

    On the 8K the engine serial number and the tractor serial number will be different. The tractor serial will begin with either 66V (U.K. built) or 77V if it's a powershift machine, or 76V if it's a direct drive.

  6. #6dressed2kill2011-10-05 16:53

    ok guys thanks for all the help so far, I found out today that it's 100% an H model, so that might change some things. I has the compression release for a pony motor, but the engine is an 8100 series 6 cylinder.

  7. #7Nige2011-10-05 17:28

    Engine is electric start I take it ....?? D8H was sold in both donkey engine start and direct electric start versions. If the transmission is a direct drive it is a 36A prefix machine. If it is a powershift then it is 46A prefix. Does it have a cable or hydraulic-operated blade..? This might be a long shot, but look for a casting somewhere on the machine and see if you can find a Code on it with 6 letters. Even something as mundane as a hydraulic filter or oil filter housing (they used to be cast in those days) These will be raised letters on the steel of the casting, NOT stamped. It will look something like UNREDD or similar. Post that Code here and I can tell you what date it was produced. That will NOT give you a definite year that you can use to your machine but it will get you damn close.

  8. #8dressed2kill2011-10-05 18:38

    It's a power shift machine. with electric start, however it does have the decompression lever under the dash, i have included pics of one plate I found, as well as the only numbers i could find stamped in the engine, as well as the machine. You guys have been a huge help so far I have delt with this for several months now and after having 2 different partys come look today I'm am ready to see this thing go.

  9. #9Nige2011-10-05 18:51

    183 hydraulic control 36E prefix was used on all D8H tractors with prefix 35A, 36A, & 46A. So I guess we've confirmed the machine is a D8H, but we're no nearer narrowing it down to a Serial Number.

  10. #10dressed2kill2011-10-05 18:58

    where exactly is this bevel gear case? Ill go take a look

  11. #111970Cat162011-10-09 17:54

    Its a low horsepower d8h 7 roller frame with no OROPs, it had a pony motor but was converted to electric start, tilt is nice for sure, looks like its high on the rollers, what kind of rollers and chains does it have wet or dry cat or aftermarket??? Take a picture of it starting and running and pushing some dirt and using the steering clutches on utube and put it on ebay, if you are looking at the rear of the tractor from the back the serial number plate is on the left below the fuel tank, it may be gone but the tractor is stamped on the case itself as well as the al plate about 1 x 1 inch, they bring $15 to $20k down here in that shape, clean it up with a steam cleaner and repaint it and decal it will bring $5000 more, good luck, lots of old d8 chuggers down here like that have 40,000 frame hours on them, there are the 57 chevy of the ranch dozers, everbody who has a d8 36a or 46a usually keeps them forever, best dozer ever made by cat for sure and easy to rebuild and buy cheap parts anywhere for