Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

C.M.C. Lincolnton

N.CarolinaDozer ยท 2008-10-22 18:52

We started a new job on Tuesday in Lincolnton, NC. 55 acre tract of land. Carolina's Medical Center is building a new hospital. All we have done so far is building a rock drive, and started removing old fence lines. They moved a 320 hoe in the first day to build the drive, and today they moved in the D6R and two 621's. Tomorrow they are bringing in a D8, another D6, and two rollers. I hate to see this beautiful farm get tore up but, it's work for us.

Replies108
  1. #1N.CarolinaDozer2008-10-22 18:55

    more pics....

  2. #2Dirtman20072008-10-22 19:28

    I always get a kick out of seeing workers with hard hats on out in the middle of a 55 acre grass covered field. I guess rules are rules though. Keep us updated on the progress.

  3. #3JDMGrading2008-10-22 19:38

    I was wondering what was going on over there...

  4. #4wilddanz712008-10-22 20:01

    That is some GREEN grass, kind of a shame that it is all going to get torn up oh well thats life, glad to see you got plenty of work

  5. #5N.CarolinaDozer2008-10-22 23:03

    Yeah they general contractor has some crazy safety rules. One which is upseting many is no tobacco products on any part of the site what so ever. Can't even smoke inside the equipment. It doesnt bother me because I dont smoke, but of the others are pretty mad. There going to be very strict! JDM have you came by the job? Are you sure you are coming, by where we are?

  6. #6fireman0502008-10-23 01:16

    is that a firehouse i see in the background of pic 5

  7. #7Turbo218352008-10-23 05:44

    A lot of generals are getting that way. The worst i have dealt with is Turner Construction. Saftey glasses in the cab of a machine, hard hat on, works hours from 7am until 6pm. That just doesnt cut it in the dirt world. That gets worse if you are working in the rainy season. For some reason they just dont understand make hay while the sun shines. If you think Generals are getting bad, try working at a chemical plant. Add all the generals rules on top, it gets to be a pain in the rear. The one most hate is the no smoking on the property. Top that off, it takes 20 minutes to walk out with security, another 5 to get off property, and the smokers just cant seem to make a half hour lunch work. Must be all the time they spend trying to light the patch.

  8. #8curly2008-10-23 06:39

    I'm sorry but if the general doesn't own the equipment and I did and had him tell me no smoking I would have to tell him where to shove it. I've worked factory jobs where you have to smoke out in your car and that was borderline for me.

  9. #9Komatsu 1502008-10-23 07:31

    ""No Smoking" might coming from the customer. It is a hospital after all.

  10. #10JDMGrading2008-10-23 17:34

    Yea I'm pretty sure I went right by it....we're building a warehouse right off of 321 in the Lincolnton Industrial park. I'm not sure if we're gonna be doing the iron work on this job or not...We've done the Nascar hall of fame and the tiltwalls on the new dragstrip and also the Medical center in Asheville.

  11. #11N.CarolinaDozer2008-10-23 18:11

    Yeah fireman that is a fire department in the background. It's Boger City Fire Department. JDM the site is at the intersection of Mcallister Rd. and Buffalo Shoals Rd. off of Hwy. 150. More pics from today. They brought the D8 and 815 roller in today.

  12. #12N.CarolinaDozer2008-10-23 18:15

    more....

  13. #13N.CarolinaDozer2008-10-23 18:22

    Dont you love when those pesky salesman try to make there way on the jobsite! We set boobie traps for them. I threatened to use this against him later on if he ever came back. After we got him out, the general made us put caution tape around it.

  14. #14Dirtman20072008-10-23 18:41

    I bet the fool fell in the hole when he opened the door too!!:lmao 55 acres of feilds and he has to drive right into the one and only hole on the jobsite. Maybe an EX dump truck driver :stirthepot

  15. #15Turbo218352008-10-23 19:02

    Ill tell you where that general would tell you to take that equipment your sitting. He tell you to get it the hell off of his job site. His site, His rules. Dont play by his rules, he can, and will kick you out of his sand box. He might even kick sand in your eye while youre down. With the current economy, and all the other companies starving for work, they will gladly jump in and take your place. If I was the foreman on the jobsite, and you were my operator, and you didnt play by the rules, you would be standing in the soup line.

  16. #16Reuben2008-10-23 20:50

    :falldownlaugh

  17. #17bigblueox2008-10-23 21:50

    i like the " do not enter part" so much more applicable than caution tape!

  18. #18Steve Frazier2008-10-23 23:53

    How mauch material does the Sterling haul? That's about the biggest box I've seen on a straight truck.

  19. #19N.CarolinaDozer2008-10-24 10:19

    Not sure steve. Next time he is there, I'll ask.

  20. #20WColtharp2008-10-24 15:18

    Classic! I couldn't have said it any better!

  21. #21JDMGrading2008-10-27 19:49

    haha...Ole TW Dellinger is doing your hauling, our current Lowboy driver use to drive that very truck. Use to look real good when he had it. All polished up and waxed, The driver driving it now put acid on the wheels and took it all off.

  22. #22Northart2008-11-02 22:14

    Work Rules ? I've seen the changes over the years, some good , some ornery! The hard hat rule is a petty rule in some places. Strictly enforced no matter what . The orange safety vests I like, gives visibility of the people on the ground, to the operators. Also defines the cons't workers that belong on the job. The safety glasses are an MSHA rule, on mine sites. The plastic glasses suck. Scratch easily and ill fitting most of them. And MSHA wheel chocks for parking , even when on level ground. Duck ponds for oil leaks. I like the No Smoking Ban. As I don't smoke, the cabs stay cleaner. Not all contractors have that rule , but more and more are getting it. But the owner dictates to the contractor ! Lot of petty rules, speed limits, noise limits, dust control,permits for work, ID Badges, Drug and Alcohol screening, etc,etc. but it is their job ! And it is written into the contract, if people don't comply, they are terminated !

  23. #23fireman0502008-11-03 04:31

    if it's not to much trouble when you get some free time could you go down to the fd and take some pics of the trucks for me please and in return i'll stop by the local dealership and get some pics of the new deere equipment they have parked out front

  24. #24N.CarolinaDozer2008-11-04 19:23

    There you go fireman, thats all I could get.

  25. #25N.CarolinaDozer2008-11-04 19:28

    We started last week on building the five ponds we have to get in.

  26. #26N.CarolinaDozer2008-11-04 19:32

    more pics of the pond work....

  27. #27N.CarolinaDozer2008-11-04 19:36

    they brought in a D8 today we call the "Stump Buster"

  28. #28Dirtman20072008-11-04 20:21

    What would it take for me to take a spin on the stump buster? other than a 4 hour drive to get there lol Nice ponds!

  29. #29N.CarolinaDozer2008-11-04 20:25

    As strict as our company is. You need to fill out an application and take a drug test. But We don't know nothing if you came down while we weren't there on the weekend.

  30. #30N.CarolinaDozer2008-11-04 20:29

    there was the first victim of the buster today

  31. #31bigblueox2008-11-04 22:20

    man nothing like new track work! how many hours on them NCDozer?

  32. #32N.CarolinaDozer2008-11-04 22:54

    as of today, about 4 hours

  33. #33stretch2008-11-05 20:31

    Is it a factory blade or custom built?

  34. #34N.CarolinaDozer2008-11-05 21:39

    I believe they said it was a custom built by a machine shop in N.C. They have four other D8's with the same blades. I'm sure someone mass produces these somewhere though.

  35. #35D5G2008-11-05 22:08

    thats too cool, think about that on a D9....talk about power. Can't wait to see the next pics...

  36. #36N.CarolinaDozer2008-11-05 22:15

    I'm going to try to post every week. The buster is only going to be there for a week. Thats all the time we will need it.

  37. #37ScottAR2008-11-06 01:25

    Rome makes blades that are very similar... A D9 size is available last I checked.

  38. #38N.CarolinaDozer2008-11-06 19:55

    more clearing today and we started on the build pad today as well...we switched out the buster blade on the D8 to the rake

  39. #39N.CarolinaDozer2008-11-06 19:59

    more pics...

  40. #40N.CarolinaDozer2008-11-06 20:01

    couple more...

  41. #41Dirtman20072008-11-06 21:43

    Nice work, even nicer fire! I was burning today and it was hard to get that green stuff going. What machine do you run?

  42. #42N.CarolinaDozer2008-11-07 18:30

    I'm sharing the D6R with a new employee. It's a nightmare to be the only one besides my boss to read grade stakes, and being able to check grade. I'm waiting on a motorgrader to come, that is in the Cat shop. My foreman told me, I was going to doing all the fine grading, starting with the building pad.

  43. #43D5G2008-11-08 22:42

    how many acres to be cleared? And what kind of time frame are you looking at? Keep the pics commin!

  44. #44N.CarolinaDozer2008-11-09 10:15

    Well I'm guessing about five acres, not much. We have dropped all the timber, it's just burning the brush and stumps, and loading what wood could go to the mill. Should be done by the end of this coming week. The grading will take about six months. We have to get the building pad in by Thanksgiving. I'll keep the pics coming, just keep watching for them!

  45. #45N.CarolinaDozer2008-11-18 18:31

    :update We are still cutting and filling on the building pad. The pipe crew showed up Monday, and starting with the drains on the ponds. My motorgrader finally showed up!

  46. #46N.CarolinaDozer2008-11-18 18:47

    pics...

  47. #47N.CarolinaDozer2008-11-18 18:53

    more....

  48. #48N.CarolinaDozer2008-11-22 09:30

    :usa

  49. #49AtlasRob2008-11-22 10:08

    Great pics and info NCD thanks for sharing. You kept your part of the bargain, now wheres the dealer pics :stirthepot It is quite suprising how you do get in to the habit of automatically putting the lid on as soon as you exit the machine, you think you never will but over time it becomes habit In the UK now it is illegal to smoke in a public building and also illegal to smoke in a work vehicle that has more than one possible operator. As an owner op I can smoke in my cab ( I'm a non smoker :Banghead ) but a single cab mobile crane that has 2 different operators ( weekends or nights maybe ) that BOTH smoke, cannot smoke in the cab :ban :beatsme :falldownlaugh I think thats one nil to U :thumbsup On a serious note there would have been a severe rollicking for the people that left that hole unattended or fenced off. We feel its petty at times, geez its a hole any dumbass can see it. Then that happens :yup you cant cure stupid.

  50. #50knucklehead982008-11-26 18:13

    Could be worse, get caught smoking were I work and it is a Federal Offense!!!!!!!

  51. #51fireman0502008-11-27 06:44

    hey atlas if you are refering to the dealer pics i said i would get if he got a few pics of the fd for me they are posted here

  52. #52ronnie2008-12-01 23:31

    phillips &jordan from robinsville, n.c. built the first ever k/g or cutter blade ever built at 1 time they were the biggest clearing contractor in the world you don't have to have the tree down to get the stump you can actually make tooth picks out of the entire tree if you know how don't sharpin the point to much or your just hung in the tree nd the cuttin edges are like a knife on a stump to tell the truth the dozer looks like an old p&j tractor p&J has the patten on the blade and there all kinds of them stacked up in robinsville. i set a good friend of mine from there back on his tracks because he was hung in a tree one time and rolled the 8 over he could'nt get loose and the guy on the hoe was pushin it over there's alot of good hands on a cutter tractor from there and andrews

  53. #53Wolf2008-12-03 00:58

    Looks like that buster does the job real nice. bout how many victims did the buster claim on that job? How many trees did you push with it, man. looks pretty powerful.

  54. #54N.CarolinaDozer2008-12-04 18:42

    New Toy! Well I was surprised yesterday with a new 12M Motorgrader. Wow what a difference in the controls, but I love the joysticks! I took me only about an hour to learn them. Some massive concrete boxes came in today, they had to be set with a crane.

  55. #55N.CarolinaDozer2008-12-04 18:46

    concrete box pics:

  56. #56JimBruce422008-12-04 19:41

    Great pics man. Those concrete structures for storm line or an underground basin? As for hard hats... it's second nature for me to put my on as soon as I get out of my truck in the morning now... Rules are rules, and we have to wear them 100% of the time. Doesn't really bother me though.

  57. #57N.CarolinaDozer2008-12-04 19:49

    They are for store drains. There are two different boxes that size. 62 inch pipe going into those. One joint alone of the pipe ways 17,000 pds.

  58. #58AtlasRob2008-12-06 15:41

    I think you meant storm drains, either way, great pics and it shows ( for me ) the different ways things get done. I dont do serious drainage/pipework but have worked around it enough to get the idea of what is going on. In the UK ( as far as I am aware ) we do not do prefabricated manhole sections :beatsme We have manhole rings and pipe but to my knowledge bases, junctions and the like get built in the ground. That in itself is an education when having dug a big hole the man wants you to build a donut with concrete then he sets about it with a shovel, then asks for a stub, ah ! starting to see where were going, a couple of stubs and a few more metres of concrete later, VOILA. a manhole for 48" pipe :notworth

  59. #59N.CarolinaDozer2008-12-06 16:01

    I think you meant meters, instead of metres. Our last job was a state D.O.T. road job, and we had to build each box with block. But most of our jobs call for prefab. boxes. It's whatever the blueprints call for to us. We don't get to make the call on how they are built.

  60. #60AtlasRob2008-12-06 16:13

    :lmao:lmao:wink2 I belive the French expression is Too Shay BUT just to clarify, a meter in the UK would be a tool to measure fluid or power, and a metre is a unit of measure. Either way, great pics and thanks for sharing. :drinkup

  61. #61Wilhelm9112008-12-11 10:31

    Great pictures! Looks like you have some wonderful material to be working with. I'm used to rocks and mud! I love seeing the jobsite progression pictutres. Keep them up! Thanks! Bryan

  62. #62N.CarolinaDozer2008-12-11 10:43

    Thanks, I went in this morning and after 2 inches of rain, it's nothing but a mud pit. And the rain is still coming down. My boss has already called tomorrow off, so I'll try to get some pics next week.

  63. #63N.CarolinaDozer2008-12-31 20:54

    Update: Well we finally got the building pad dry and we are putting the stone on it as fast as we can before it rains again. We have yet to hall any dirt yet because the field is still to wet, notice the D8 in the background with the disk on it. The dirt thats getting loaded is backfilling in pipe. As you can see at the top of the hill, we received a lot of pipe in the last two weeks.

  64. #64N.CarolinaDozer2009-01-01 19:30

    Pics of the building pad, D6 disking, and the pipe crew at work.

  65. #65N.CarolinaDozer2009-01-01 19:36

    more

  66. #66T_S_S2009-01-05 18:04

    Nice pictures! Keep them coming! Looks like you will be busy for a little bit

  67. #67JimBruce422009-01-05 19:18

    Nice pics as always, How come that storm run is all still open like that? Was the pipe crew having trouble getting "good" fill or is it standard practice for you guys to do things like that. Not complaining, just curious. :usa

  68. #68N.CarolinaDozer2009-01-05 20:00

    Well I don't work with the pipe crew, but thats how we and them always do it. Put a run in from box to box, then back fill it. They also had trouble getting dry dirt. That's why they were using the Volvo ADT to get dry dirt from our cut area.

  69. #69JDMGrading2009-03-11 20:49

    How about some current pics? I was out there today with the crawler crane we just brought in. You still runnin the D6 or was that you on the grader?

  70. #70N.CarolinaDozer2009-03-13 21:33

    Hey JDM, I took my cam today but didn't get a chance to take any pics. Wow what a crane! How high is the reach on that Link Belt? Are you there now or where you one of the guys just there to set it up? If you are still there, I would like to see the inside of that crane if you could give me a chance. If I remember I will take my cam on Monday, I was out last monday because my daughter was in the hospital for R.S.V., so I've been busy.

  71. #71N.CarolinaDozer2009-03-13 21:35

    Oh buy the way i was the one running the little 305 excavator, doing eroison control. We have four crews now on that job, and a second crew came in to fine grade so they are using the D6R and the 120H. Five of our men where layed off today, we are slow right now.

  72. #72JDMGrading2009-03-14 11:12

    It has 220' of main boom and 40' jib. I was only out there for a short time making sure everything was going as fast as it should. Yea I saw you trackin around on that 305, I was thinking to myself how much fun I could have on that thing. You can go check out that crane anytime you want as long as hes not doing anything. Hes a great op. Now the other guy running the 70ton hydro, hes a good operator just has a not so good attitude. Next time i'm out there I'll come find you and let you swing it around a little bit.

  73. #73AtlasRob2009-03-14 11:40

    I see a deal being done here and two people getting to have a dream come true. Remember the pics :drinkup

  74. #74JDMGrading2009-03-14 14:00

    Were 2 of those 5 guys running the 613 scrapers?

  75. #75N.CarolinaDozer2009-03-14 14:21

    No the ones layed of were running the D5N, the 320 hoe, the cat sheep foot roller, the D8, and the last one was checking grade for us.

  76. #76N.CarolinaDozer2009-03-14 14:28

    I'd love to just sit in the seat of that crane, I'm not sure about running it? You guys have too much steel standing already. All the grading guys are drooling over that crane! When the tracks came in on seperate trailers, I knew it was going to be a beast! If you come out just ask one of the grading guys who I am, but don't ask the pipe crews because we don't know each other that much. I drive the black nissan frontier that parks on the right side coming into the job. Find me, I'd like to talk and ask questions.

  77. #77N.CarolinaDozer2009-03-16 12:42

    Well it was raining this morning, so no dirt moving. But i did get a few pics of the building with the two cranes. One hugh crawler and a wheeled Link Belt. I know nothing about cranes, so JDMGrading will have to tell you about them since he knows about these to paticular ones.

  78. #78N.CarolinaDozer2009-03-16 12:44

    more pics, I'll take more pics tomorrow of the sitework and cranes

  79. #79JDMGrading2009-03-16 15:52

    The squirtcan is a Link-belt 8670 (70t), The crawler is a 248 hylab 5 (200t).

  80. #80N.CarolinaDozer2009-03-17 16:26

    Well went in this mornig and it was still to wet to work. Me and another stayed around to help one of our mechanics to put new cutting edges on our two 613 Scrapers, so I took some more pics of the cranes and a pic of the scrapers.

  81. #81N.CarolinaDozer2009-03-17 16:29

    When I gets dry enough to move around the job without tearing our fine grading up, I will take more pics.

  82. #82JDMGrading2009-03-17 23:16

    Was the crawler not operating today?? I see that the op is out there? Or maybe just not at that time.

  83. #83N.CarolinaDozer2009-03-18 10:31

    Yeah JDM it was. I think they stoped to unload the truck full of steel with the Lull in the five picture. I had to pull the smaller crane out of the mud with the D8 earlier that morning.

  84. #84JDMGrading2009-03-18 17:26

    Was he stuck in an avoidable position?? did you use steel chokers or the small nylon on the front? Last time he got stuck he somehow did'nt notice the side steps he was ripping off on our 50ton.

  85. #85N.CarolinaDozer2009-03-19 21:04

    No it wasn't aviodable. They were set up for a long time in a good dry spot, but after the rain it got really sloppy. They hooked two chokers to the rear end of the D8. Me and the crane operator had a small scare when the chokers popped loadly when I started pulling, but they held very well. I was more worried about the boom which was raised right over my cab. But we got it out without an incident, so no harm done. We were told to go home for the rest of the week by my boss due to the mud and incoming rain due on Thursday.

  86. #86JDMGrading2009-03-19 21:35

    Cool, just making sure he was'nt in a ditch or hung up on a berm or something. He's one of our newest op's. One time me and the owner randomly stopped by a jobsite only to find out that a 330 Cat was using that small 3 foot strap to pull it out with the bucket curled so much that it was touching the bumper. Hes turning out to be a better op than we thought he would be. This sucks about the rain, 3 cranes need to be moved by monday. And we're down to about 4 truckdrivers.

  87. #87N.CarolinaDozer2009-04-09 23:13

    Well I finally got a chance to take some pics at work. We were cutting for the main entrance and filling a temporary retention pond. I handed my camera over to a fellow co-worker, and he got some good shots of me running the D5N and the 320. Its amazing that when I take my camera I never get pics of myself running equipment, I always get pics of everyone else. Enjoy!

  88. #88N.CarolinaDozer2009-04-09 23:18

    more pics.......

  89. #89N.CarolinaDozer2009-04-09 23:22

    and three more, the last two are pics of the progress on the hospital

  90. #90D5G2009-04-09 23:29

    Looks good Jeremy, looks real good. How has the weather been for you guys lately?

  91. #91N.CarolinaDozer2009-04-09 23:34

    Well the last month we have been rained out. This week has finally been dry enough to work. The last two days were in the 50's as the highs, but today it got up to the 70's. Crazy April weather as usual in North Carolina.

  92. #92N.CarolinaDozer2009-04-10 19:13

    Well I guess I spoke to soon! It started raining again today! ointhead

  93. #93N.CarolinaDozer2009-04-20 20:01

    :usa

  94. #94N.CarolinaDozer2009-04-25 11:58

    I found out the Hospital was taking photos, and put them online. There are some good aerial pics on there aswell. Check it out at http://www.cmc-lincoln.org/body.cfm?id=138

  95. #95N.CarolinaDozer2009-05-16 11:04

    Aerial Shot 1 Aerial Shot 2

  96. #96BCB2009-05-30 00:01

    man i need to get over to the job on 19 and take some pics. i believe i saw 2 of the "Stump Buster" D8's, a D10 and a 385 up there. of course along with plenty of d6's, D8's, 320's, and 637's all T&M. You guys working much down there?

  97. #97D5G2009-05-30 00:06

    I can't wait to see those pics, sounds like a ton of big iron.:drinkup

  98. #98N.CarolinaDozer2009-05-30 07:31

    We are doing finish work here in Lincolnton. We have about two miles worth of sidewalk to do around our site. Our 19 job is the only thing keeping T&M going right now. You should go to the shop in Asheville, our new D10T and three 631's are sitting there. I don't know if you have heard but we have two new jobs coming up soon. One in Orlando, Fl, doing a new power plant, and one in Nashville, Tn.,not sure what it is though.

  99. #99BCB2009-05-30 20:54

    yeah me and my foreman where down there last week. i'm working about 5 miles from the 19 job so i'll ride over there next week

  100. #100BCB2009-05-30 20:56

    edit... man if i could talk them into sending me to orlando i'd leave tonight! i love it down there

  101. #101N.CarolinaDozer2009-08-06 14:40

    Well I haven't posted pics in a long time, so here you go. I got up to the roof and took some pics. Front view of the hospital. Mason's working. Another view, notice how the Lull's make a mess very quickly. Back parking lot. Front parking lot. They just poured the curb two days ago, so we haven't backfilled it yet.

  102. #102N.CarolinaDozer2009-08-06 14:46

    more pics... Another building pad. Front Entrance leading into the hospital. Utility Building, house the boilers, generators, etc. Employee Parking Lot. Concrete pad at the loading dock.

  103. #103N.CarolinaDozer2009-08-06 14:48

    Last one, back of the building with one of the two retention ponds in behind.

  104. #104D5G2009-08-06 14:56

    Great pics Jeremy! It has been very interesting watching this hosital progress.

  105. #105N.CarolinaDozer2009-08-06 20:14

    Yeah it's coming along quite fast. I started cutting the sidewalks with the 303 Mini Ex. seen in the pics. We have until August of next year to get done, so we are far ahead. It's weird to think I will spend another full year there.

  106. #106AtlasRob2009-08-30 15:48

    Great pics, I still find it quite incredible the amount of slipform curb you guys do in the states, even the islands in the parking lot are slipped. We just dont do it over here, its all precast concrete, although regurgated plastic has started to appear. That said, we do slipform drainage channel and centre reservation barrier on the motorway upgrades. It seems if we cant do a few thousand feet in a straight line it aint worth doing :Banghead :beatsme

  107. #107tippatone2009-08-30 16:51

    Its amazing to see a hospital come from a plot of land gradually. You guys did great work NCDozer:drinkup

  108. #108N.CarolinaDozer2009-08-30 21:12

    Thank, we are in a battle with the Lulls and Scrissor Lifts now around the building. Everytime we get an area grading and cleaned up, they come in a turn and twist on it.