Hey Y'all, I have a few questions about my 2005 CAT C13 KCB engine. First off , Yes it's a Twin Turbo , so there in lies the problem I am having. I don't have the cash yet to do the Single Turbo Conversion. I blew the secondary turbo the other day out on the road and had to have it towed. My first question is ; Will I be able to put used turbos from a different KCB serial number engine onto my KCB engine ? My serial # is ( KCB17377) & the doner engine is a ( KCB22009).... will they match up fine ? Next question ; If they match up fine , will I have to put a new or different program in , or can I keep what is in there now ? Also , I'm not sure if I hosed the Primary turbo , but I did get oil coming out of the bellose coupler and clamps on the pipes going up to it from the secondary turbo. Any serious Mechanical help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks. Tuck-N-Roll
Unfortunately the turbos are not the same on the two engines. They have different internal parts. The turbos on KCB17377 are 229-3549 (HP) & 249-3550 (LP). The turbos on KCB22009 are 229-3553 (HP) & 229-3554 (LP). However the Part Numbers of both LP & HP turbos service to the same numbers. 229-2549 & 229-3553 both service to 284-7707 229-3550 & 229-3554 both service to 239-2581 I would suggest to buy the turbos from the donor engine and fit them as a matched pair. To answer your other question there will be no need for any software modifications on your engine.
Thanks for your help Nige . This helps alot.
I do not know your exact engine but have worked on some other Cat truck engines. Some of them have sleeves built into the manifold gaskets of sorts. When those rust out they can send scrap metal to the turbo. Check to see if your engine has those. Replace them if so. Hate to see a repeat. Do not reuse manifold bolts.
See here, also on a C-15 but in a dozer - HeavyEquipmentForums I am not sure if these sleeves are on your engine because the exhaust ports appear to be square as opposed to circular. If they are fitted you will find them sandwiched in between between the exhaust manifold and the cylinder head. See below. Absolutely agree in replacing the exhaust manifold bolts/studs, whichever are fitted on your engine.