Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

slack in steering box W900 Kenworth

coastlogger ยท 2021-05-31 22:33

ive got about 4 inches of play in steering wheel and its all coming from the steering box. Ball joints etc are all good. I get a really annoying "hammering" sound when driving empty on washboard and Im reasonably sure its from the steering box. Loaded I dont get the hammering. Its a hydrapower box. I know theres an adjustment for this but I blv I have to remove box to access the adjuster.A bit of work to get box off,wonder if I should try the adjuster or order a rebuilt box to replace it. How much slack will the adjuster look after Im wondering. Im guessing that depends on the state of wear of the gears and whether theres enough adjustment available. Input appreciated.

Replies3
  1. #1Truck Shop2021-06-01 07:30

    Replace the steering gear and flush the system.

  2. #2Old Doug2021-06-01 21:54

    The on;y thing the adjuster will do is take some slack up were it is worn and were its not it will be to tight Yes it needs replaced.

  3. #3coastlogger2021-06-02 16:06

    Thanks. Ordered a rebuilt steering box