Mbn prefix. Turbo p/n 222-1133. This morning I had to check this turbo. Cat c15. The waste gate linkage has broken and the bushing for the waste gate is no longer there. I think I had to replace this turbo 4 or 5 years ago. That time the plug... I don't know how to explain this.. Behind the waste gate disappeared.
Today
The first turbo lasted 15 years, the second only 5. I know I need a new turbo. Anyone have an idea why I am having multiple waste gate issues?
Hey, bonus. You all get to see my wrinkled bald head in that last picture.
Nothing unusual about it, waste gate linkage typically disintegrates from heat over that period of time.
Was the second turbo OEM (if yes, new or Reman), or will fit.?
I’m not saying THIS is your problem, but 90% of turbo failures are due to hot shut downs.. If u pull the stop or turn off the key, without first letting the turbo wind down, there’s no oil going to the turbo bearings and it roasts the bearings.. What we’re calling bearings is just 2 brass/copper tubes on each end of the turbine shaft with holes in it to allow oil to flow thru.. So when you shut the engine down, no oil is pumping to the turbo bearings..
There is a field replacement for that Part Number - 261-6857/10R2962. Reman for 222-1133 is 10R1065.
Is the problem interference between compressor turbine/wheel and housing or the waste gate taking a dump. Because most rebuilt don't typically last near as long as new. From my experience about 6 years average on rebuilt with average driver.
Your going to have to put on a toupee before I can be of any assistance
Where's your clown suit?
Need a bigger one and turn the fuel to it!!!!
It was a cat reman..
If it was a 6nz I would. But not a mbn.
See the comment above by @Truck Shop . If you are going to replace it again I would go for the Field Replacement Part Number.
We had same issue on our heavy haul tractor, ran really hot egts and would snap off the valve in there. Found Mr Haney on another fourm, did non waste gate turbo and his 625 tune. Truck rips now. U really gotta lug it down to get egt over a 1000, but at that point the non waste gate turbo will start to flutter. So I just dont let it pull down to 1200rpm and all is well at 900-1000degrees. Stock with 525hp tune it always ran up around 1200+ degrees and it was a dog.
Still waiting to hear from the owner on this. I think they have a line on a turbo with a bent shaft and just want me to replace the hot side of the turbo. I am not really a modification kind of guy, but I was under the impression that there weren't a lot of options for tuning up a c15 with an MBN prefix. Last year I wanted to when I had to.replace the computer but the supplier told me that it wasn't an option with my prefix. So it looks like I am stuck at 425hp. And since then the company lost its best driver. When he was in the seat I had a lot of confidence in uptuning the tractor. But now the two cdl drivers in the company are a fairly new driver and a guy that has been there for 20 years that I didn't even know had a license until last year. On the topic of egt, I installed a pyrometer on this unit a few years ago. It is on the pipe about 4 or 5 inches from the turbo flange. I kind of wonder what the difference is between the gauge and the actual turbo temperature.
Actually, Nige, I am not really sure. The turbo on the machine does not have the same tag as the original (which is still riding around in the back of my service truck). And cat has no record of me buying it in the last six years. Neither does my Kenworth dealer. Between myself, the owner and the foreman/ driver; apparently no one has any idea where this turbo came from. I need to look into it a little more. I know I did manifold seals when I swapped the turbo. I will try to drill it down from there.
Not much difference from 6nz to mbn , I forget exactly , cam, turbo and tune if I remember correctly. Its been 10yrs since I researched it. Just Google mbn issues and look on the old truck fourms, all the info if there. 525 was max from factory for that yr. Kw or cat won't put any other tune in it, they go by the engine model. Basically what mine says when they plug it in is I have a 550 tune. But the guy that did the tune Basically modified the cat tune back in the day and ran it and dyno his own truck so he knows what works. We have a 02 w9 6nz and I had him do his 575hp tune in it, It walks away from new Cummins with the 585 tune on hills, same 18s trans, same 4.10 gears pulling same trailers with same crane counterweights. Its pretty funny cause the guys think its more then a 575 tune. That's it. 8-900egts and better mpgs, has very slight puff at dark smoke between shifts. No clouds.
Been meaning to ask, what is the difference between original and field replacement?