Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

C232 using oil

UpNorth Mini Excavating · 2023-07-22 07:50

I have a 2011 c232 with 1880 hours. Machine starts up great and is strong. The issue is it’s using oil. I have checked the turbo and there is no oil and everything is tight. It does have a slight odor while running but can’t quite put my finger on it if it’s an oil smell or fuel. I have put a thicker oil and Lucas to see if the oil usage would change but it hasn’t. There are no leaks that I can tell. I looked at the oil pan for leaks and it all seems fine. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Replies2
  1. #1ozarkag2023-07-22 22:30

    How much oil is it using? Try removing the oul fill cap while running and check for blowby, this is obviously subjective, but there should be minimal air/blowby out of the cap. Also there is a distinctive "tired engine" smell. If you have lots of blowby, especially with a strong smell or vapors, might be an indication of needing a rebuild.

  2. #2Coaldust2023-07-23 00:40

    You narrowed it down. Obviously, it’s blow by. You might be able to measure the base pressure/flow to quantify, but I’m not familiar to the peculiarities of that engine. Have you checked bulletins? Maybe it’s a feature of the creature for that beast. What’s the serial # . Maybe one of our fellas can check. Sorry about the new engine you need to purchase. ):