Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

c3.4 misfire and blues smoke

skidsteerssuck · 2014-05-13 13:53

have a 2012 caterpillar 262c2. it has the c3.4 in it. TMW is the serial prefix. Here is the issue when engine is cold runs perfect starts fine. Once it is at operating temp it will run at high idle anything over 1600 rpms for about a minute and began to slow down and begin sputtering and blowing blue smoke. already replaced the turbo. cracked injector lines and low and high idle. replaced transfer pump. I already know that the tank and fuel lines are good. does anyone have any other ideas on this. there are no service codes. all cat trouble shooting leads to nothing.

Replies27
  1. #1Nige2014-05-13 14:22

    What process are you using to pull the Diagnostic Codes..? A couple of thoughts. 1. Valve clearances..? 2. Intake system..? I assume you've checked it but it's not included in your OP.

  2. #2Mobiltech2014-05-13 14:27

    Possible suction side air leak on fuel system. Maybe the clear plastic bowl under the fuel filter. There are orings that seal it to the filter. You have changed the filter I guess? Valve clearance would be good to check too. There is also an electric timing advance on the fuel pump. Not sure if that would affect it when hot if it isn't working.

  3. #3skidsteerssuck2014-05-13 15:05

    Just set over head about 20 hours ago. had intake system apart when replaced the turbo and checked the manifold for cracks all good there

  4. #4skidsteerssuck2014-05-13 15:08

    when you get transfer pump from cat they sell it as an assembly with pump/base/ and new filter. and I checked for air in the fuel with a clear hose and it is good. not sure if that would or not but I will do some research on it

  5. #5Nige2014-05-13 15:40

    My question regarding how you are accessing the Diagnostic Codes .......?

  6. #6Nige2014-05-13 15:45

    What Mobiltech was referring to (I think) is the O-ring seal under the clear plastic bowl marked #1 in this illustration. Also the O-Ring under ring #2 that seals the filter element to the head.

  7. #7skidsteerssuck2014-05-14 07:53

    sorry I used cat ET

  8. #8skidsteerssuck2014-05-14 08:01

    these seals and O-rings are good verified there is no air in fuel system. did some research and there is in fact a cold start advance on the injection pump. talking to a local cat dealer we might be thinking there is a problem in the injection pump or the pump housing may have rotated just enough the create the issue. think more likely an internal issue than a rotated pump housing due to the fact that no mounting bolts were loose.

  9. #9skidsteerssuck2014-05-14 08:06

    do you have any idea on the cold start assist how it works on this. I cant find a functionality description on how it works. why do you suppose they went this route rather than the either assist like on large equipment

  10. #10Mobiltech2014-05-14 08:25

    I did have one of these that would start and run cold but needed ether to start when warm . I did a lot of testing and it came down to a weak fuel injection pump. I was surprised to find the Cat dealer stocked a pump because they had changed a few too for this reason. There was also a TIB on the fuel pump. Maybe Nige or your dealer can get it for you. Here's what it says. There have been a number of isolated instances with issues with the fuel injection pump (2) and 352-3694 Solenoid (Cold Start Advance) (1), 300-3573 Solenoid , 335-5735 Solenoid (3) on C3.4 engines. These issues with the fuel injection pump can cause seized solenoids, excessive smoke, the engine to run rough, the engine to stall and engine performance issue

  11. #11Nige2014-05-14 10:25

    This is what the Systems Operation Manual says about the cold start feature. If you want the complete electrical schematic for the machine PM me with the complete Serial Number and your e-mail address. If you need more info on the fuel injection pump operation regarding the timing advance mentioned below then let me know in the same PM. Cold Start Advance When the key switch is turned ON, the ECM will activate the cold start advance relay if the engine coolant temperature is below 35 °C (95 °F). The cold start advance feature controls a relay that activates and deactivates a solenoid on the fuel pump at a certain jacket water temperature. The solenoid on the fuel pump, when energized, extends a shaft that changes the roller ring setting in the fuel pump in order to advance the timing during a cold start.

  12. #1292U 34062018-08-13 22:00

    I know I'm dragging up an old thread but I've got a similar issue with a C3.4 engine in a 236B3. Original complaint was crank but no start. Electric primer pump on the fuel filter was shot (motor spun but would not pump fuel). Replaced the assembly and it now sends fuel to the injection pump. While cranking it smokes white smoke like a chimney but will not catch. Once it did catch and it idled like crap, would not idle up. Absolutely zero smoke out the exhaust while it was running. Tried running it off a seperate primer pump from a bucket of clean fuel. No change so I'm suspecting an injection pump issue. Removed the shutoff solenoid and inspected it. Its working but when bench testing its letting fuel dribble from the inlet line down into the pump body and return line when actuated (free flowing between all ports when de-energized). Based on my findings I'm tempted to suspect the shutoff valve is sticking partially open and causing fuel to bypass the pump and flow out the return. When I pull the return line off and put it into a bucket I get about 1/3 of the electric primer pump's volume going out the return line (appears to be flowing out through the shutoff solenoid). Am I on the right track here by suspecting the shutoff solenoid is at fault?

  13. #13Brad Cruse2019-10-23 18:29

    Did you ever figure out your problem with your engine? Mine is doing the exact same thing.

  14. #14Taz052019-10-23 18:47

    I have a simular issue as well with a CAT267

  15. #15Cva6542023-03-01 21:24

    Did you end up figuring out what issue was on your machine? I am having similar problem.

  16. #16thepumpguysc2023-03-02 01:44

    First and foremost, make sure u have fuel being pumped TO THE INJ PUMP INLET.. It’s been my experience that the pump is full of rust from poor filter maintenance.. and that’s the root cause of no throttle response.

  17. #17Cva6542023-03-09 20:19

    I have fuel being pumped to injection pump. It will runs great for about 10 minutes and then start running rough like its not getting fuel. Then once I idle it down and let it recover for about a minute or so it will run fine for about 5 minutes again

  18. #18Nige2023-03-09 20:24

    What model of machine do you have.? This is always the problem when someone tags on to an existing thread without giving some basic info.

  19. #19Cva6542023-03-09 20:25

    It is a cat 297c

  20. #20Nige2023-03-09 20:42

    LMB or GCP S/N prefix.? TBH the full S/N would help.

  21. #21thepumpguysc2023-03-10 10:43

    Next time it dies, quickly remove the fuel filter.. chances r hi that it’ll be empty..

  22. #22Skid-steer Repair2024-03-19 07:28

    Can we continue this discussion? I have a 262c2, TMW00517. It has a random misfire with excessive smoke but sometimes runs just fine. Lift pump, filter housing, and several lines are new by Cat dealer with same exact symptoms. Owner then brought it to me saying Cat told him it had a blown head gasket. It did. I confirmed that and replaced HG, cleaned mag’d head, surface head .002”, new head bolts, and brands new Cat Injectors. Runs exactly the same as before. Random misfires with smoke but sometimes runs like new for a few minutes. Anymore info on the Cold Start Advance? Any TIB available? Thanks in advance.

  23. #23Nige2024-03-19 11:08

    when the engine is cold, hot, or random.? Regarding operation, no more than was posted on Page 1. Is it generating any Diagnostic Codes.?

  24. #24Skid-steer Repair2024-03-19 11:46

    -The misfires are random, hot or cold. It seems I can invoke the misfires when it is running smoothly simply by rapidly increasing the hand throttle. I can also settle the misfires by reducing the hand throttle and bringing it up slowly. Then of course it will just start to miss whenever it wants. Seems worse at higher throttle inputs. -There are NO active or logged Diagnostic Codes or Events via the RightHand Display when entered into Diagnostic Mode 1,2,3,4. Those four modes display 0-0 or E0-0 My 30 years experience tells me to remove the fuel pump and have it tested at a fuel injection lab. What do you think? Thanks!

  25. #25Nige2024-03-19 11:55

    It's not my coin but I wouldn't waste money on a fuel injection shop. Based on the previous page where the dealer kept the pump in stock due to high failure rates I'd simply put a new pump on it. There was apparently a Service Letter on that pump but I can't see any specifics.

  26. #26Skid-steer Repair2024-03-19 18:02

    I found the TIB on the pump. Fuel sample is clean but the inside of the pump is full of rust. New pump on the way. Thanks!

  27. #27Nige2024-03-19 18:06

    An extremely expensive fix for the customer as a penalty for not performing basic PM tasks like draining water from the fuel filter housing and the fuel tank periodically. Make sure to tell him that….