Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

C6.6 acert injector leakage

rmllarue91 · 2020-04-26 20:01

Hey hef I Got a 6.6 cranking fuel is around 2500 psi on et Can see it won't fire injectors. Lil starting fluid bumps rpm up once it sees 3500 psi it fires injectors and runs good. Sis says refer to KENR6938 for procedure. I can't find it in sis. Media search shows no results

Replies26
  1. #1partsandservice2020-04-26 20:39

    Block off one injector at a time until you see the rail pressure rise. Replace that injector along with the other five because they are not far behind . I think those injectors are about 500 each from cat. Any idea where one could find one of those engines? Local cat says not available complete, 3 weeks for short block head not available.

  2. #2rmllarue912020-04-26 20:47

    Do you know what fittings needed to cap fuel rail ? I'll ask one of my customers tomorrow he buys and sells engines.

  3. #3partsandservice2020-04-26 21:58

    Might have to make one out of another line, just be clear when you spin the engine so no projectile hits you. Thanks for checking on that engine. The lower end can be built , but the head is destroyed. So I could get by with just a head, prefer complete or long block.

  4. #4rmllarue912020-04-26 22:08

    I'll check. what was cause of failure. I've heard horror stories of techs not reading up and miss adjusting valves and not having bridges / pushrods seated

  5. #5rmllarue912020-04-26 22:13

    I did a search of head for engine I'm working on and ctp / offroad list head

  6. #6Mark2502020-04-27 04:20
  7. #7Mark2502020-04-27 04:25
  8. #8rmllarue912020-04-27 07:34

    Do you have procedure for injector return flow test should be KENR6938

  9. #9partsandservice2020-04-27 07:48

    So the fuel lines typically just leak when reused. The 6.6 I am working on had one injector replaced by dealer and they replaced the line as well, to bad there was no compression on that cylinder. And valve lash , please correct me if I am wrong but I doubt Perkins reinvented the inline diesel engine the valve procedure would be the the same, it just that the position of intake and exhaust valves are different. Thanks for the heads up on the aftermarket head.

  10. #10Cmark2020-04-27 08:42

    It's not so much that the lines may or may not leak, it's that if they do leak then you're going to get a continuous stream of fuel at 10 - 20,000 psi escaping. With that sort of potential for catastrophe, it's better to be safe than sorry.

  11. #11partsandservice2020-04-27 08:56

    Yes better safe than sorry and fuel leaks can cause fires. Not on this particular engine, but I have found the rail relief to be leaking ever so slightly and it will cause a no start condition. At idle the the pressure would not be 20000 psi. I would not be afraid to temporarily reuse the lines during the diagnosis. Then replace the lines when the injectors are replaced. I avoid the rail area when the engine is running best I can. On the same note, I never check for a hydraulic leak with my hands with machine running. I do not have access to the correct tooling and diagnostic info for every brand engine I encounter. Common rail is common rail brand does not matter diagnostic wise. Cummins rail lines are robust and reuse them with no issue. JD and these perkapillars use cheap crap.

  12. #12partsandservice2020-04-27 12:07

    Hope I am not hijacking this thread, but I looked at this engine I have. It is like a normal inline with no funky valve placement. It is IE IE IE IE IE IE not EI IE ect. So can anyone clue me into the special procedure for adjusting the valves. Or tell me to start my own thread.

  13. #13Nige2020-04-27 12:54

    Here's the procedure referred to by Mark.

  14. #14rmllarue912020-04-27 14:25

    The More 6.6 info the better I guess the profile of cam is not typical. engine position is not normal. Cat dealers ate alot of these heads I was told

  15. #15Nige2020-04-27 14:37

    When the recommendation is to do the first valve set on a new or rebuilt engine @ 500 hours and the service interval for the valve set is every 1000 (would normally be every 2000 hours per my experience) hours thereafter then there must be something in the valve train that needs keeping in adjustment.... Wait until you see the section about measuring valve height.... I'm thinking that there may potentially be an issue with valves or valve seats (or both) that could result in the valve lash closing up and potentially burning a valve or valves.

  16. #16John C.2020-04-27 19:36

    Having to adjust valves that often and it being complicated by design is an indication of weak engineering and a propensity for an early death. It further aggravates me when I regularly see very abused Japanese designed diesels going thousands of hours with no adjustments to the valves and when checked needing minimal adjustments for all the run time. Seems to be another designed to fail issue to generate more revenue.

  17. #17Truck Shop2020-04-27 21:16

    How true, The Kabota diesels used/installed by Carrier on our refrigerated trailers can see as many as 18,000 to 20,000 hours and never a valve cover removed. And never a issue. And to go with what Nige brought up about valve height-DD15 and DD16 can have trouble with valves sinking in the seats.

  18. #1892U 34062020-04-27 22:55

    I used to work rentals. Not uncommon to see those little Kubotas in the light plants go 24,000 hours with just oil changes. Go out at night and there'd be just a blue haze out the exhaust pipe but they'd still fire up at -30 with just a 20 second glowplug cycle.

  19. #19Truck Shop2020-04-28 00:06

    Imagine if we built engines that good, Maytag repairman.

  20. #20Birken Vogt2020-04-28 00:08

    I work on a lot of these style engines and try to get valve adjustment in every 5,000 hours but sometimes more like 10,000 and wonder why I even bothered. Kubota and Isuzu, sometimes we have to change injectors at 10,000, sometimes we don't.

  21. #21Truck Shop2020-04-28 00:12

    We have never lost an injector and only one injector pump issue on over 300 Carrier units powered by Kabota's.

  22. #22Mark2502020-04-28 03:41
  23. #23Birken Vogt2020-04-28 10:00

    We don't lose injectors but sometimes they start to smoke more than the customer would like after a very long time. Here I am talking about old fashioned PLN systems with PFR pumps and a simple mechanical injector. It may be hillbillies using poor quality fuel, don't know.

  24. #24Truck Shop2020-04-28 15:53

    We do a full service on the Kabotas every 1000 hours.

  25. #25Birken Vogt2020-04-28 22:16

    IIRC the reefer units have a big bulbous oil pan do they not? And what kind of emissions systems are they running, what size Kubota? Any Isuzu? I seem to remember Carrier has the one brand engine and TK the other.

  26. #26rmllarue912020-04-30 19:16

    Update on my c6.6 did fuel injector leakage test. Me always being prepared smallest container marked I had was 500 MLS... 6- 30 sec crank intervals. At 150 rpm. Produced 500 mls So at least double the spec. I told customer to get a set of injectors and lines.