Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cab tilt on Case 95XT

Kobe130 ยท 2011-06-22 00:17

Just received my new (to me) 95XT. I have been unsuccessful in raising the cab on this unit to inspect the engine room. There are 2 main levers to pull frontwards then the seat and then it is supposed to lift and tilt forwards. It seems rock solid where it is. I thought I better ask the experienced hands here what to do before get the 580 to pull upwards on it and break or bend something. Do these things just get cantankerous after a few years? I wonder if the 2 gas strut rods just give up pushing to help open it after awhile. Many thanks for your ideas.

Replies5
  1. #1KSSS2011-06-22 00:27

    There is nothing more to it than that. It might help to pull the seat forward first but the cab is heavy especially if the machine has AC.

  2. #2KCxpat2011-06-22 06:03

    Sometimes they can be a little "sticky" getting loose. The longer they go without tilting the tougher they can be. Normally it is an easy one man job. Tilting the seat up helps quite a bit. Also, make sure the release levers are fully pulled forward. I can't remember the distance the top of the lever should travel, but some of the guys here (KSSS?) with a similar machine can make a quick measurement to help you verify that. If that doesn't work, take a pry bar near the back bottom of the cab and pry between the cab and the chassis (but not on the sheet metal parts - find some place solid). If it is a little stuck, that should free it up. Having a buddy help pull while you pry also helps. It is not a light cab so if the gas springs are weak it can take quite a bit of effort. As a note, never-ever attempt to remove those gas struts when they are compressed...unless you are tired of this life and eager to leave it.

  3. #3franklinute2011-06-22 08:11

    I own a 90xt and have replaced the gas struts a couple of times on the cab. I tie a strap to the top of the cab and pull the cab up to raise it. It is probably a good idea to use a pry bar to be sure that nothing is hanging. Be careful when the struts are shot let the cab down slowly so it won't slam down. When the cab is up it is a good time to lubricate the two locking pins.

  4. #4franklinute2011-06-22 08:13

    I meant to say that I pull the cab forward to raise it.

  5. #5Kobe1302011-06-22 13:03

    Excellent comments thanks for your help guys. Mine being a 2001 is sticky I guess and the struts must be shot as they don't seem to want to help. Much obliged for the warning on them - I'll be careful. I did pry upwards at the back to confirm it was loose there but it must be heavy. To save my back I think I'll use the 580 loader with a rope to "gently" pull it forward and up. I guess replace the gas struts too. At least it will tilt. To replace the starter on my Thomas 233 looks like the whole cab has to be unbolted and lifted up. Sheesh. Thanks again.