Ive got a really good customer that needs his cabin on the river taken down and he wants me to give him a price for it. This will be my first house demo and Im not sure how to figure out how much material there will be to haul off. The house is 25 x 30 and there is an 8x30 porch on the front. The Dump is 11 miles away and tip fee for C&D is $50.00 Per Ton. There is a dump where I can dump all of the concrete and brick from the foundation and chimney for free thats twenty miles away. Im going to be using my Komatuse PC-120 and a Single axle Dump truck to haul it off. The interior is all old hardwoods from floor to ceiling so I'm going to salvage what i can before I take it down. All thats going to be left is the roof and exterior walls. Thanks, Justin
Cant get the pics to work tonight. Ill try to fix them in the morning.
OK here is a link to the pictures of the place. http://s1037.photobucket.com/albums/a457/alm9161/?action=view¤t=000_0047.jpg Any help you guys could give me will be very much appreciated. Thanks, Justin
How big is your dump truck? How small are you going to make the debris? Is there a basement/cellar? Can you just bury the foundation? Is there any asbestos? just a few questions before you bid the job...
Dump Truck is 10 CY and I plan on walking over the debris and crunching it up really small. There is no basement, just brick piers for the foundation. They plan on building another house in basically this same location so I dont want to bury anything and it end up where they want the new house. I do nt beleive the siding is asbestos but I will find out. If it is do I have to have a specialist remove it, or can I just do it myself?
Yeah your going to want to crunch that stuff up pretty small, to pack as much on your truck as you can, cause fuel prices arn't getting any lower. I would think 3 trips for the foundation, maybe 10-12 for the house depending how much you can pack in the dump truck... good luck, and don't water the house down for dust control, cause that just adds weight to the dump fees.
Ditto what Tonka said on the asbestos. If the shingles are composite not real wood, then I would check a little further. The age of the house and style of shingle looks suspect. If they are asbestos then you will need a specialist to remove it. I would say 150-180CY (5-6 30CY cans) for the house and 50 or so CY for the chimney, piers and footings. Footings can be a surprise, I have pulled some very large footings out from underneath brick piers. Does the house have any contents on the inside that will be hauled as well? Contents are another bid buster. Looks like a nice little demo job, good luck with it.
Wow Im glad I asked you guys about the total CY of the demo. I had it in mind as closer to 8 or 9 loads total. The siding isnt asbestos because it was just put on about ten years or so ago. Its a concrete product that is made to look like the old asbestos siding. There is nothing in the building except a couple little piles of trash. Since Im going to be tearing the walls out I think I am also going to cut out all the copper wiring. The sewage pipes are also cast iron so including the HVAC the water heater and all the sewar pipes and wiring there should be a few dollars in scrap metal to haul off at the end of the day. Im thinking a day an a half total? The first morning knock it down and load it out over the rest of the day. The sceond morning finish hauling and site clean up. Im going to bury the foundation back in the woods a little ways so that will save a lot of time. Seems like its going to be fun.
Good deal on the shingles, no asbestos. When I do a demo I do the same as far as separating as much of the scrap metal as possible. Usually there is a lag during load out waiting for cans to be swapped so you might as well densify the waste and separate the metal. Cast iron, sheet metal ducts, water heaters ect are decent scrap. I don't bother separating the copper wire since it is very labor intensive, however copper water piping is worth the effort. How far is the closest scrap yard and what is their current price per ton for tin scrap? You probably won't get enough ductile iron out of the piping to make it worth while to take it separate, so a mixed load is usually paid tin price. I would give 2-3 days for the job since you are hauling 10CY's at a time. The dump is a 22 mile round trip plus loading time. It looks like you will have 15 +/- loads plus burying the foundations, clean up and hauling a load of scrap.
looking at the pictures, that place is a real dump. did you wreck it already? how did it go? nice to get that thing on the ground. it is hideous.
yeah kinda looks like that dump in forest gump....
you're right. forest gump's dump.
Havent gotten it on the ground yet. Still waiting on power to be cut, and I'm going on the final walk down on the 27. The owner agreed to pay dump fees and fuel plus two grand, he's always been really great to work with, and it takes a lot of the pressure off trying to guess exactly how much dump fees are going to be. And your right the place is a dump. The interior looks like something out of a horror movie. Ill post some pictures any maybe a video once I get to tear into it.
Sounds like a good little job, a guaranteed $2k and expenses paid. When doing this demo, keep track of the loads, dump fees, time and fuel used. With this info, you will have some historical costs for future demos.
Thats what I was thinking. I would like to be able to get a formula worked out that takes into conisderation the square footage, ceiling heights, number of stories, siding material, foundation type, and distance from the local dump. Maybe even put it all in a computer program so I can just enter the data and quote each job very consistantly.
I use basic Excel to do my estimates and I would like to say that I have an elaborate formula to extrapolate the exact tonnage, time, etc but I don't. It's a little bit of spreadsheet and a little bit of the gut. With time and jobs completed both get fined tuned. In the spreadsheet I put in items such as: Mobilization Permitting Hazardous abatement if any Equipment - estimate the time it will take and multiply by an hourly rate Estimated CY of material - price per ton, CY or flat rate per can Estimated turn time of the cans or trucks Misc items - seeding, silt fence, etc Overhead % And last but not least - PROFIT The last line item profit is the most important. Your profit margin should reflect the amount of risk the job entails. Take for instance your demo, there are no structures nearby that could be damaged and has ample room to maneuver equipment and trucks. One demo I completed last year was one of those the profit margin goes up due to the risks involved. This demo was located in an expensive ($500K and up) neighborhood, very close quarters. The higher the risk equals higher the profit.
sounds like you will be fine with that deail. you can lose a lot of money fast a $50 per ton if your of on tonage for the landfill tip fees. let us know how many tons it is. I figuerd 2250 to tare it down and hall it out, 2200 in tipping fees, plus any dirt or sand for backfill. If you have a thumb for your hoe that would be vary helpful in loading times.