Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Crown Point Bridge Demo – Lake Champlain

9420pullpan ยท 2010-03-15 22:40

I am from Upstate NY and have always used this bridge to go back and forth to VT. I guess it was in very bad condition. Here are a few pics of the demo along with some video of 385LR picking through the wreckage. YouTube - Lake Champlain Bridge, Crown Point, NY Demolition YouTube - Champlain Bridge Update Feb. 2010

Replies3
  1. #1NHGus2010-04-14 20:01

    Cool vids; I grew up in Vermont, crossed that bridge all the time headed for the Adirondacks during summers. It would have been nice to see the demolition(and clean up) in person.

  2. #2LowBoy2010-04-15 06:33

    Makes me think a little, I used to use that bridge just about 3 times/wk. Crossed it with 10,000 gals. of gasoline headed to Plattsburgh, NY and again on the way home empty. Also crossed it with the lowbeds, with various "stout" pieces of equipment on. It's a real inconvenience right now for folks that live 1/2 way up between Crown Point and Burlington, Vt. It's a LONG way around the horn to detour. But, I can remember a quote from years ago from Ed Koch, the former mayor of NYC when the media was condemning him for closing the Brooklyn Bridge due to unsafe, hazardous conditions of that bridge. His exact words were, "It is better to be inconvenienced and SAFE , than be convenienced and DEAD ...". Can't argue with that.

  3. #3stretch2010-04-16 16:37

    I first heard about the bridge closing and the impending spring demolition in December. Guess it was too much of a hazard that they had to take it down sooner, otherwise dad and I woulda made the trip up there.