Hello All, I haven't been around much lately but you know when I have a problem I know where to go for help. Silly me, melted the cable that shuts off the fuel on my 3400A backhoe. It merely closes a valve or something that stops the engine. I should have disconnected the battery before sticking my wrench in there but for one second of contact, the cable turned red and was no longer connected. :Banghead It was like slo motion and I know better..... Oh well. I contacted the IH people and they said the cable was no longer available. Are there any companies that manufacture cables for specific installations ?? I'd appreciate some help on this. I just stick my hand in there now and pull the lever for I've put too much work into this thing to have to operate it in that fashion. I don't have the part number at the moment because the info is in my shop. I'm gonna do something but I'd like to be able to purchase what I need or have it made for the application. Thanks for any help,
Go to Napa or your local good auto parts store. All you really need is a good choke cable (from the days of carburetors), make sure to insulate it where it may come in contact with electrical components. There are many variations of cables used all the way from controlling hydraulic valves to opening and closing vents and windows. You may have to speak to an "old" guy that remembers these things.
I have a 3400a fixer upper and posted here looking for a muffler and a "snozzle" the black plastic piece of air intake that lays on the radiator. I know this is off subject but not sure how to contact you otherwise.. Thanks in advance. Don
Pie my machine does not have that black piece of air intake over the radiator. I did some checking for a pre filter but did not find anything. I can tell you that I found a muffler after I spent hours welding and patching the one I had. they are around $50.00 or so. Some parts are indeed difficult to locate which makes me a little bit reluctant to fix some other items that are working but I'd like to tidy up a bit. I should have some resources posted on the threads for this machine that I started. There are a few. LOL Good Luck. If I can help just let me know.
BillG is right on..its just a simple pull cable..and cut to length..
Yair . . . Sky King Push/pull cables are very common and readily available in various standard configurations or made to order. http://www.bergencable.com/products/push-pull/push_pull_specify.html One of hundreds of suppliers on line. Cheers.
Scrub, I just saw your post. I am contacting those people. Currently, I just reach in and pull the lever on the pump with my finger and kill the engine. This would be a nice fix.
You can use a piece of stiff wire run into the cab with a cute little loop in the cab and the double bend to go into the arm on the pump, works better than your finger.
Sky, Do you have a Mack truck Dealer in the area? Tell them you want a shut down cable, should have some right on the shelf. Cut to length and you are good to go! If you get a parts guy who can not find something with out a model and serial number tell him it's for a 1980 RD685SX-08211, truck is dark green if he is a real d!ck head!
One thing that helps with "choke cable" life is to run a jacket of nylaflex air brake tubing over it when you install it.