Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C Backhoe Replacement Teeth

PAwrestling#1 ยท 2013-05-27 08:29

Anybody have any advice on replacement teeth for my 24" bucket? The only thing I know is I wanna go with the twin tiger tooth but is there a brand name that's more rugged than others? I have hundreds of stumps that need to come out and I was told these teeth work really good for stumps and rocks. The teeth on mine are shot and actually just lost one so haven't been digging with it til I replace. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies30
  1. #1PAwrestling#12013-05-27 16:00

    anybdy have any experince with the twin tooth vs. the standard? Would they be better for stump removal and rock? Is there a big difference in durability? My teeth were wore bad when I boght the machine so I have no experience with even new standard teeth.

  2. #2Ropinghorns2013-05-27 19:25

    Yes, I highly recommend the twin tiger teeth for ripping the roots out of trees.

  3. #3PAwrestling#12013-05-27 21:06

    Any style or model? And will all these fit my shanks

  4. #4bowen2013-05-28 06:05

    If you wash the bucket you might find the model # imprinted on the backside. http://www.colemanequip.com/TeethAndEdges.asp They have some good info here and they do sell some twin tiger teeth, but you will need to be sure they are your style. I think these use the flex pins that go in from the side.

  5. #5PAwrestling#12013-06-03 05:19

    Is there a certain way to replace these teeth. Im using the split pin style with the rubber between. I installed one tooth yesterday and it sure has alot of play in the tooth..

  6. #6Tinkerer2013-06-03 06:48

    The tooth should not have any play between the shank and tooth when the tooth is set on the shank. Are the holes (pin and or shank) too big for the pin ? That style pin you are using should be really tight after it is driven in.

  7. #7bowen2013-06-03 07:05

    Was you old shanks worn out, or do you think you got the wrong parts? On You tube you can find videos where they weld onto the shanks to build up the fit. Ex... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8EEU6eJHl8 Weld then grind so that the fit is tight... You could also replace the shanks if it's bad enough.

  8. #8PAwrestling#12013-06-03 07:22

    no pins are super tight. Shanks looked good just seems new teeth are a little big plus the oblong holes in new teeth seem to make it a little loose

  9. #9Tinkerer2013-06-03 07:35

    How tight did the old teeth fit the shanks ? There can only be one of two reasons a new tooth isn't tight on a shank. It would either be the wrong tooth for that particular shank or, even though the shank looks good, it has wear on it. That wear is usually caused by digging with a tooth missing.

  10. #10PAwrestling#12013-06-03 07:59

    the old teeth were very tight.. Had to pound off with sledge..

  11. #11PAwrestling#12013-06-03 09:01

    Are there measurments you can do to check wear or things to look for? These shanks look nice a and sharp

  12. #12Tinkerer2013-06-03 09:08

    Ok, the pins are tight and the new teeth are loose. You have the wrong teeth for your shanks. If you really want to use tiger teeth , go to a dealer with an old tooth. Ask him to get a new shank out that fits your old tooth. Then maybe he may be he will able to find a tiger tooth that fits your shank. I have dug up hundreds of tree stumps with backhoes and never felt I needed tiger teeth. They are designed for excavating rock. My experience has been / the smaller the backhoe the farther away from the stump you need to start cutting the roots. There were very few times I ever stuck a tooth into a root to sever it. The crimp-on style teeth make that impossible to do. You just pull the teeth off the shank.

  13. #13PAwrestling#12013-06-03 09:28

    pins are tight in shanks.

  14. #14Tinkerer2013-06-03 11:50

    If the inside of the old teeth are clean and fit the shank tight, the tiger teeth you have should not be used. They will pound the the shanks and you will never get another new tooth to fit correctly. Unless you do a lot of welding and grinding to build up the shanks to their original profile.

  15. #15PAwrestling#12013-06-03 12:03

    So Tinkerer standard teeth have different dimensions than the Twin Tigers? I'm o.k. with just getting the standard teeth but now the company I got these off of says they are probably different make of shanks I have, which might be the case. I dont know.. I just need teeth thatll fit thats why I was wondering if I could measure the shanks a certain way to make sure the re-order will be correct

  16. #16Tinkerer2013-06-03 12:54

    Well PA, I have seen Twin Tigers on a 310 John Deere. I have never installed any myself. I would think they are available for a Case OEM shank. There is a problem with any machine that a person doesn't buy new. Buckets get swapped around for different ones. Meaning you could even have an aftermarket bucket. Worn out shanks may have been replaced by who knows what company made them. A lot of things happen that make it hard to find the correct tooth for the shank you have on your bucket. Maybe you could take one of you old teeth to a Case dealer and he would find a shank that fits your tooth. By doing that, he will know what Case has for teeth that fit. You may have pretty good chance that your bucket has 23 Series teeth on it. 5 of those teeth with the flex pins will cost about $60.00. As a last resort you could take an old tooth clean it real good, then fill it with Bondo . That will give you an exact impression of your shank, or at least an extremely close one. Use Saran wrap or a similar thin plastic film to prevent the Bondo from adhering to the tooth. That will give you something to send or take to someone selling teeth.

  17. #17PAwrestling#12013-06-03 14:06

    Thanks Tinkerer

  18. #18Tinkerer2013-06-04 07:37

    You are welcome PA. Post back and let us know how you do. Your problem finding teeth that fit happens quite often to us. I have a friend that sold a backhoe and he had some extra bucket teeth for it. He gave them to me. Although they looked very similar to the ones that fit my bucket they had a small amount of looseness when mounted on my shanks. There is no way I will ever use them.

  19. #19PAwrestling#12013-06-04 08:36

    That sounds exactly how these are. If i wiggle them side to side i get probably 1/4" of movement in both directions. 1/8" to 1/4" anyways..

  20. #20PAwrestling#12013-06-06 06:03

    Well took off new twin tigers and held them up to the old teeth that came off and there's definately a difference in the openings of the two. About 3/16" to 1/4" in both directions

  21. #21PAwrestling#12013-06-07 06:18

    Well I took my tooth to a Kubota dealer that used to have Case and he says my old tooth is definately a series 23 tooth?? But he pulled out a new series 23 tooth and side by side the series 23 is quite bigger on the opening where it slides on shank. He also pulled out a new shank which seems beefier and corners are more rounded and mine seem skinnier and sharp edges the whole way down shank not just where the tooth stops. So is my shanks wore or do I have smaller shanks that someone replaced in the past? He wouldnt even try another tooth as he was sure its my shanks??? If I take a pic could anyone here tell me if they are wore or different? God never thought putting new teeth on would be this hard but Im a newbie at all this.

  22. #22Tinkerer2013-06-07 07:41

    Maybe this will help identify your shanks. You can view it in better detail here ----- http://www.sequoiaequipment.com/pdf/bucket_teeth.pdf

  23. #23PAwrestling#12013-06-07 12:28

    I take it the C dimension is most important for fit?

  24. #24Tinkerer2013-06-07 15:01

    The "C" dimension is important along with the width of the shank. If the dealer says you definatly have a 23 series tooth and it didn't match a new 23 series tooth , something is not quite right. I would think he is wrong about it being a 23 series tooth.You most likely do not have 23 series teeth on your bucket. In the post I made on 6-04-2013 I said I had teeth that very much appeared to be the same as the 23 series teeth I use but they were about 1/4 inch bigger and would not fit tight. That being said unless you know for sure what you have, well it is just a guess at best. If you want to end the frustration , get a new set of teeth , pins and shanks and have them put on your bucket. I recently took my own bucket to a welding shop and had them remove and replace the shanks on it. There were five of them. The $245.00 I paid them for the work was well worth the expenditure.

  25. #25PAwrestling#12013-06-08 06:47

    Tinkerer do you happen to remember what series you ended up having?

  26. #26Tinkerer2013-06-08 09:01

    Yes PA, I have the Series 23. I believe Case (CNH) is not the only company to use them. Here are the Case part numbers and what I paid last summer. The shank is D48212 @ $12.00 . Tooth is D39093 @ $5.75 / a new part number for it is D58590. The pin has the rubber bonded to the steel, and it is D39094 @ $2.50. The best prices I could find were from Dale Weiss. here is a link to his website http://e-backhoeparts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=118 . Here is link to an image of the 23 series teeth I purchased. http://www.colemanequip.com/ModelParts.asp?ModelID=146&pc=0WJI&#partSearch If / when you get to Coleman's web site type in the tooth part number and you will be able to see their prices and images of the 23 series parts.

  27. #27PAwrestling#12013-06-08 09:29

    Im sorry i didnt explain, what did you have beack when a series 23 was 1/4" too big? Did you ever find out or just automatically changed shanks and teeth to series 23?

  28. #28Tinkerer2013-06-08 18:22

    Nothing to be sorry about PA . I never used those teeth that were 1/4" too big. The correct teeth were loose enough without trying those over-sized ones. I broke a shank off right where it meets the cutting edge. The shanks were in sorry condition when I bought the machine. Some idiot put a lot of hours digging without teeth on the shanks. I had been welding replacement teeth on. It was the only way to keep them from coming off. I wanted to wait till winter to replace the shanks but when I broke the one I couldn't wait any longer. Did you happen to notice that on those web sites I posted links to, Case has 23 series Tiger Teeth ??

  29. #29PAwrestling#12013-06-09 16:02

    someone told me also that new teeth shouldnt or wont be fit like a glove that they will be loose till you dig some with it? Any truth to that

  30. #30Tinkerer2013-06-09 19:38

    I have never seen the correct tooth and shank combination fit loosely. Unless the shanks have some wear on them. That would only happen from digging without a tooth on it. You should need to lightly pound them on with a hammer until they bottom out. That includes my experience with track loader teeth.