Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cable life

Old Doug ยท 2021-01-10 14:40

The winch i think i will use is from a late 40s early 50s m5 tractor. I bet the cable is original and never unrolled. It has some were around 300' of 5/8. I wanted to remove the cable to make it easyer to take the winch apart any way i could but after unrolling some it looks ok would it be worth cutting the first or second wrap and using the rest?

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2021-01-10 18:07

    I would use it. If it looks kinked or frayed, cut it back. You don't want to roll that much cable out most of the time anyway.

  2. #2crane operator2021-01-10 23:10

    I've probably got a spool of 5/8" that's too short for a crane cable probably 200-300' laying around. It would likely be newer than what you have. Mine would probably be rotation resistant cable, I'll see what I have and send you a picture.

  3. #3muzy2021-01-10 23:19

    Not sure what your up to? but it would be about 250lbs lighter if you unspooled it. What are you going to use the winch for?

  4. #4Old Doug2021-01-12 01:40

    I want to use it on my Chevy c70 But first i need to make sure its in good shape. Its a little bigger than i wanted but i own it.

  5. #5fast_st2021-01-12 05:25

    Probably be fine if none of the strands are rusted through. I'll unspool my dozer cable, drag a rag over it to check for snags, put a little tension on the full length, rubber glove over a leather one and then put a quart or two of bar oil on it and let it soak in before respooling it, seems to keep it in good shape!