I read the other week that there is a big shortage of operators (jobs being vacant for 15 months) even though it pays a decent wage (six figures). So it piqued my interest and was wondering if a) that there is a shortage is true, b) How's the job, & c) where does one go to school for something like this? Considering a career change and like I said my interest was piqued. Thanks.
There is a shortage of operators industry wide, at least when the economy is good and moving in the right direction. I cant vouch for cranes as the requirements and qualifications are much stricter. There are Tech schools available for heavy equipment operators but Im not sure how in depth those get. The best operators I have known started in construction as greenhorns and perfected their trade with years of experience. I'm sure its a treat to do, but carry's alot of stress and big $$$$$ for a 100 kinds of insurances required.
issue got solved!!
This is an interesting comment about learning this stuff. A buddy and I were on break at work talking about heavy equipment operating and how we didn't know it was a thing when we were in school. I'm sure if you grow up with it you know about it but it'd been cool to have gone that route when I was young and able to toss around a shovel while waiting to hopefully get an opportunity to run some piece of equipment, or going to the vocational school to learn stuff like that. I can only imagine the stresses of running some big cranes but it also seems very exciting and likely very rewarding. We have this joint http://www.local18training.com/ right down the road that does some training, but I feel like I'm too old and comfy to start that crap over... I like the idea of new places and new challenges to work with.
You're never too old to change careers. I know quite a few people who had serious career changes after 50 and are happy and successful after doing so. "The man who thinks he can, and the man who thinks he can't, are both right. Which one are you" -Henry Ford
Seems to be a strange comment to make after starting this thread. New job ??
I thought the same thing.
I know what you mean @colson04 . I don't really think I'm too old as much as too unwilling, I guess (so from Henry Ford's POV I'm the latter!). I am to old and/or out of shape to start shoveling by hand or being the hired muscle. The smart money, for me, would have been to start saving and investing much earlier in my life. I'm only 43 years old and I'm coming up on my 25th year with the company I work for. Smarter money management, earlier in life, could have made a 30 and out situation much easier. Sounds pretty good to me to be retired at 48.
Crane certs are not easily obtained here, have to be diligent and attentive as well Book Read Smart of Rules and Charts. IUOE Locals around here have a Training Center north of Bowling Green MO.
When I went to get my certs I had quite a few years of boom truck experience. I got all the certs in one winter. Fixed cab, swing cab hydraulic, lattice boom truck lattice boom crawler, knuckle boom, overhead hoist, tower crane. The written tests are by far the most demanding for the average guy.
I believe the crane cert in the Chicago land area also go through our IUOE 150 training site.I know in our area good backhoe hands are always in demand.