Does anyone have any simple formula for calculating the weight of a granite rock, a friend needs one hauled and I have no real idea as to what it would weigh, by comparing to a load of rock, it should be no problem, but gravel has air space, is there a weight per cubic foot calculation somewhere?
I did a quick Google search and found this , hope it helps.
Brian That is good for sandstone. Granite is heavier. If I recall right, about 165# per cubic foot.
It gives the weights for both, says Granite is average 175.
ointhead I guess I should have read the words instead of looking at the pictures and relying on my not to swell memory. Some days I feel like this:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead
Anyone who says they don't have days/moments like that is lying, I know I sure do.
Days like what?
Thanks guys, thats exactly what I was looking for. While on the subject, what does anyone want a landscape boulder for? I guess I've picked too many up over the years, the last thing I want in my yard is another rock to look at and mow around, but apparently I must be the only one, a friend wants one for a signature rock to mark his driveway with. I told him if he wanted to be remembered, to put a larger than life size replica of a nude centerfold sculpture instead, he'd be the talk of the area for decades, apparently his wife wasn't in agreement with that, but agreed on a rock instead.
My experience- Better watch out unloading a big rock. It can easily knock the side(back corner) off a a dump truck when it comes out. I've seen it with my own eyes in my own back yard. I had a 6.5 ton limestone in the yard where I lived previously. Neighborhood kids thought it was a meteorite. Around adults we just called it a sex rock- big f'ing rock.
Smart man.
I use 185lbs per cubic foot to be on the safe side for granite and 165 for limestone.
As you are new to paving business, one important thing that should be kept in mind is to choose right paving equipments and materials like stones, slabs, bricks. Choosing a right paving material is very important in gaining a success in paving business. _________________________________ paving slabs ireland
Is the rock wet or dry? sea level or closer to the suns gravitational pull. if warmer then the surrounding area does it tend to rise like warm air or no effect? Later in the day like most other work it would tend to be /look heaver. Remember a few bears would make it much lighter. or with the right piece of equipment who cares how heavy it is. unless you are trying to carve a boat out of it.
Well we were trying to figure a rough estimate as what that piece of equipment would be to lift the rock in the first place, we got it moved, barely, set it in place but had to give up on the first two rocks, they were way too heavy for any equipment I had available to load them with or move them for that matter. The guy getting rid of the rock was delighted, as was the one receiving the rock, this rock relocation thing has some merit, I got paid from both individuals for the same rock and they are both happy.
Paid twice for moving the same rock ........ be careful - it might just catch on ..........!!!