Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

california wild fires

Wolf ยท 2008-06-28 11:57

anybody out working on the california wild fires hats off to you guys what kind of equipment are you using? good luck to all.

Replies7
  1. #1Firecat112008-07-21 20:10

    We spent 7 days on the Noble Fire. It was part of the Lime Complex in Shasta & Trinity counties. The resources were stretched so thin that 5 dozers caught the 5200 acre fire. Here are some pics...

  2. #2equippartsdir2008-07-21 22:59

    According to Al Gore, global warming is the root cause of these fires. Speaking of Al, he's given me a great idea to offset the slugglish business activity that we have been experiencing. We're contemplating going into the Sale of Carbon Credits to compliment our Pet Rock Line of products. In all serious now, any of you guys and gals out there fighting nature; be safe, God Bless and keep on keeping on! :notworthy:notworthy

  3. #3Dozer5752008-07-21 23:12

    Yeah on another note, some years ago good ole Al and his buddies just want to let the fires burn and of course not worrrying about the carbon/CO2 etc from them. You know to burn up all the rare things that the loggers will hurt. Hello Al logging thins the forest and produces less carbon than a forest fire to accomplish the same thing. I wish they could find another planet for Al and his buddies to live at. One with no machines of any kind. How long before they are begging to come back? Yeah tired of them eco demos making a liar out of God.

  4. #4JDOFMEMI2008-07-22 00:28

    Congratulations Firecat, on having the first CARB registration numbers I have seen. Nice fire pictures, Thanks

  5. #5CascadeScaper2008-07-22 01:53

    Good looking pics, Firecat. I can only imagine the rush of running a cat on a fire, something I'd like to do in the future. I've contemplated saving a wad of cash and buying a 6R with a manual angle blade, winch, cab+risers and sweeps, the whole nine yards and do that after I retire out of the union. I have a few friends in the USFS who are on the ground fighting fire tell me the dozer operators they've seen on the fires are absolutely nuts, sounds like I'd fight right in with that crowd. Get paid to score an adrenaline rush, doesn't get any better than that.

  6. #6Fishin'Rod2008-07-28 01:26

    A question for the dozer-ridin' firefighters. Do you have to "clear" your way in to the fires, or can you maneuver through the trees to your objective? How wide is the area you clear to constitute a fire break? Thanks

  7. #7Farmer2008-08-28 06:43

    Fish, The width of a break depends on the conditions, like wind, dew point, terrain, type of scrub/bush and time you have got. Im not sure about the US but here in australia we have a thing called "Section 44". Basically if a fire is big enough to bting in dozers or air support it get classed asa section 44 fire. This means all the EPA and clearing rules go out the window, so anything goes. If a straight line is needed, you drive a straight line.