Hey Dozer Ops, I am collecting data on the effects on the body from operating dozers. My experience on Dozers in the mining industry has caused problems to my body in particular my back. Rock pits especially are very challenging to operate in. I would like to speak to others who may have experienced the discomfort of jolting and jarring, jerk from gear transitions, heavy vibration, and other challenges that are posed whilst operating Dozers. Let's get the discussion going and get to the bottom of this. Regard, OOWA
Well I had back surgery 22 years ago. I made a point to ask my surgeon if it may be work related. He in fact told me he does as many surgeries on people who sit at a desk as those who run equipment. So in my mind it doesn't matter. A bigger factor in my mind is stress. I know several people who have been under prolonged stress who have to go under the knife... my opinion only.
I had back issues that were eventually traced to a fall I had as an adolescent, but it cost me a job at the time because the company medical insurance took one look at my lumbar spinal X-Ray and said no way. Go figure. Best thing you can have in a mining dozer IMHO is an air suspension seat - all ours have, right from new. A lot of jarring to the operator (again IMHO) is directly caused by the seat/control interface. Sounds a bit like the comments that flew around when scrapers went from solid to cushion hitches ........... plus ca change
Exercise! I stretch every morning Try to keep your work area smooth helps, but there is nothing like a nice newer seat. Sometimes on hard ground I use an extra cushion.
Sitting in the seat is the easy part, slipping off one on the way up or down is the hard part.
I had an older guy tell years ago that the best way to avoid back pain running a dozer (besides what has been mentioned - air seat - smooth surface - etc.) is to sit up straight and not rest too much of your weight on the seat back. I don't know how true this is, but I adopted the idea 30+ years ago and have not had any ill effects aside from occasional stiffness or minor aches and pains. Mostly I think that I have just been fortunate.
Yair . . . I reckon I have been pretty lucky. Most of my mechanical problems are due to the body/ground interface when coming of rough horses rather than the seat/control interface on the dozer as mentioned by Nige in the #3 post Having said that, my hearing is shot, I have reduced lung function from inhaling mulga dust and, although unproven, my urologist reckons my prostate problems may have been exacerbated by bouncing around on scrapers and dozers. I can't complain though, I wouldn't change a thing . . . although one of them there air-conditioned cab thingy's would have been good back in 1959. The job is the job and I believe huge improvements have been made to operator comfort and well being. There is only so much manufacturers can do without compromising the functionality of machines. As has been mentioned, good posture and keeping fit and limber would be a good start and for sure, you are going to have more problems in later life if you start stacking on the weight. Cheers.
I've never been one to sit in the cab with the newspaper. If there's a gap I'd rather be out of the cab checking the job, greasing, anything. Like Scrub says, keep active and your body stays strong.
An old dozer operator I know, & have great respect for, told me that he would rather bounce around a rocky job, rather than spend a day driving on sand. He said he would always feel worse at the end of a day operating on sand & that alot of things would always rattle loose as well. I always wondered why? But, coming from him, I consider it to be gospel.
The biggest problem I have at the mine I run dozer and grader at is convincing the brass that a machine needs a new seat. There's always a hero that will run a machine whether the seat is shot or not. Properly adjusted seats that work correctly are a must.
sit straight up, cinch down your seat belt. stretch before you start in, just like any other sport.
At the risk of being rude, and I am shure most here will agree , If you are worried about getting beat and banged around , go to college , with that said some peoples bodies are just not as resilient as others, I am 37 and consider myself to be in pretty good shape , I have worked climbed pulled pushed tugged and turned wrenches since I was a turd-headed boy. but my old dad is 67 and still strong as a bull and can still work most men in the dirt, the old b*****d is just plain tough. he can still load trucks 10 hrs a day with a manual control dragline [B-E 22B] but I do agree things are a lot better now than even when I was coming up, when is the last time any one wiped their arse with a corn-cobb , I bet there is still some old hard azz somewhere makin fun of sissyfolks using rolled crapin' paper. Hard work wears us all out eventualy , hell bulldozers are made of steel and they wear out. Work makes you hurt, keep sayin' ''Good Mornin' '' if you don't believe me.
My old grandad had a saying - "Hard work kills horses, and wears engines out" ......... pretty apt really. That said I agree with you that some people's physiology reacts worse to bumps and bangs than others. They are the ones who usually suffer.
I've always enjoyed when the peach crop comes in..... they are cased in that real fine paper that's easy on one's final's..
I think heavy equipment operators and 18 wheelers are about the same. Many years of bouncing in a chair for many hours per week takes a toll. Some will never see a problem but most do, in time. Arthritis is rarely due to one trauma, it is mostly micro-trauma over decades that adds up. The lower the weight and the better their heart health is, the better one makes it through the lifestyle. This comes from a retired 30 year (licensed) Chiropractor. Now I'm a 63 year old retired chiro buying his first dozer. Go figure.
Been a wrench more than a operator, don't have a dozer but a track loader even as I have run old Cats on the farms. I have building osteoarthritis, mostly from laying in the cold, wet and less than smooth to work on these old monsters, I now still try as I used to but fingers fail to respond at times, joints don't flex the same as they used to and my old aching back and shoulders tell me often it should be close to retirement or they are going on strike!
Surgery, L4-L5 L5-S1 bulging, herniated degenerative disc disease etc you name it I got it, had surgery about 5 yrs ago at the age of 27 and it was the worst mistake of my life, all but took me out of the machines and put me in the office or at the end of a wrench most of the day now. On top of the surgery I Been through all the epidurals morally allowed by dr's (9 injections) phys therapy, pain management clinics etc. Don't really know exactly when it happened it just started coming on and got worse and worse, still have a problem falling down due to a pinched nerve occasionally lol, people swear I'm drunk but I just can't walk sometimes. I was never in a mine bouncing on hard rocks all day or some of the stuff you other boys do everyday but I do know it's not hereditary I'm 32 now and have never been overweight (150lbs) dunno if it helps ur research or not Pj
Will be sixty five next month. Spent lots of time in dozers semi's combines tractors and other machinery. Learned real quick to ride anthing loose. Stiffing up and bracing for jolts always hurt more than just enjoying the ride. Good seats help but I still enjoy running a 17A cable with a scraper behind. Not the best is suspencion seats on those old girls.
I'm 41, been driving trucks and operating equipment since before I was a teenager. My back has hurt constantly (sometimes much worse than others) since my early 20's. Most of our trucks back then were Mack's with camelback suspension, and the one I usually drove was the roughest riding one of the bunch. 1980 Mack R686 that was the only one that dad ever bought new. Back then, I thought it was better with the seat aired up quite a bit. I attribute that truck to most of my back problems. I still have that truck (probably won't ever get rid of it), but my haul truck I use now is a 1991 Peterbilt 379 extended hood, 289" wheelbase on Pete Air Leaf suspension. I've also found that if i dump all the air out of the seat, and unlock it where it will glide far and aft a little, at the end of the day my back is no worse for wear. I've been having a problem with my right shoulder for a while now also. As far as equipment, I prefer to run a hoe. usually run a 200 Komatsu, and that's about as small of hoe as I like, as the smaller ones bounce you around a lot more. Lately, I've been running a 480D Volvo or a 550 Hitachi. Base model backhoes with rigid seats beat my back up pretty bad, but my 580Super M with the suspension seat and ride control treats my back pretty well. As far as dozers go, I grew up running a TD15C, and still have it. Over the years, I've gotten to where I'd rather take an *** whipping than sit on a dozer. Because by the end of the day I FELT like i'd taken an *** whipping... We had a JD 650H with a cab for a while, and it had a pretty good suspension seat, and doing finish work it was fine, but on rough stuff it still beat the hell out of you (one reason I really dislike small dozers) Lately (last couple of months) I've mainly been running a D9N, and I've REALLY gotten to like it. Between the weight, the bogey suspension, and the seat turned a little bit off of square, I can comfortably run it 10 to 12 hours a day. It's the first time I've enjoyed running a dozer in a LONG time.
I have Nerve damage in my back from running 27's for 6 years. I say if you spend more than 10 years in any scraper your going to have back problems. Dozer's really dont bother me unless I am on a slope all day. What really gets me is if im running a a blade all day exspecially one of the newer M's, im just always bent over watching the blade.
I do the same thing vapor. If find I have to keep telling my self to sit back in the seat or my back will be screaming come quitting time
I have been operating equipment for the last 40 yrs, from dozers in rock to scrapers, excavators, graders, loaders and bobcats /pozzi tracks etc, haven't had any back problems as yet. I think a lot of the rough riding comes from the way the machines are operated, they are as rough as u want to make them, which comes back to how the foot is on the pedal. A lot of people say scrapers are rough but I would take a scraper over an ADT any day, at least with the scraper u can do your own haul road grading if it comes to that where as an ADT u just have to put up with a rough ride if there is nothing to do the haul roads for you. As for working on rock its always best to leave a thin layer of loose rock on the floor as it gives u more traction and a smoother ride and use the decelerator pedal. A month ago I was working along side a D8T in a borrow pit where it was ripping and pushing up to me to be loaded out, one operator did everything in 2nd gear till finally after 3hrs the large fire extinguisher broke from its mounting brackets on the back of the machine, the next operator who came the next day didnt know what a decelerator pedal was, did everything at full revs all day long, machine had to be fuelled twice a day or it would run out, and as for spinning the tracks I was just glad I wasnt paying for the track repairs coz in 3wks he wore about 10mm of the grousers, it was painful to watch a nice machine get treated in such a way. If those two have back problems down the track its not hard to see why, as for the machine you sure wouldnt want to buy it if it spent all its life being operated like that. Cheers
I'm not an operator, but if I get on a machine that comes to the shop and the seat suspension is sloppy, or the cushions are broke down or tearing, I replace it. Keeping the seats in good shape will reduce the wear and tear on the operator. We put a new seat in a machine and the operator thinks he died and went to heaven. The best part is they tend to take better care of the equipment if we try to take care of them. As to what causes the pains, it doesn't matter what you are doing, if you don't take care of yourself, the pains will happen. I have worked on heavy equipment for 40+ years and got a bulged disc from leaning to one side looking at a bearing alignment one day. I wish I could have been doing something to cause it, but oh well. lol
Excellent topic! I am a heavy equipment (loader, excavator,crane) operator at a steel mill. I mainly run a Leibherr 944 grapple crane and spend 12 hours a day on unlevel outriggers and it tends to beat up the body like an angry bobble head doll and it tears up my body. I am a 27 year old girl and I grew up breaking and riding horses so that may be part of it. Ive been a operator for almost 5 years. But i would swear my crane was ergonomically designed for a 6'4 German guy, and I am 5'6 140lbs so I spend my time hunched over to see better. Back pain and sciatica started 2 years ago. Had 3 cortisone injections. They wore off and it snowballed out of control. Had emergency surgery Christmas eve at the Cleveland Clinic (12/24/13) herniated L5-s1, bulging L4-L5, and my sciatic nerve was severely pinched and caused excruciating pain beyond belief down my left leg. (My boss told me to "tough it out"!) I almost punched him LOL Any way, I'm still off work, PT 3 days a week and as of now can't go back to work until May. Left leg is very weak and pain worsens if stand or sit for extended periods so I am inherently nervous/cautious about going back to work. I NEVER want to go through this again. Anyone who had back surgery, how long were you off work? What were your work restrictions? And how did you transition back? I would love input or advice! Thanks! -Amanda
Hello all, in my experience I've found my lower back misbehaves when I'm 2 unfit or carrying 2 much weight or been drinking to much grog. It seems 2 b directly in link with how fit n healthy I am. Also a good seat and proper position helps as well as operating style and teachneack. Also hours in the seat seems 2 b a contributing factor ie 6 weeks strait of being twisted around in a scraper doin 14 hour days things start getting a bit tender. Or similar time doing lots of ripping in a dozer things get a bit tender. Now that's not to say I never get sore or experience pain but I think you will find if u keep in reasonable shape and do reasonable hours it will be better 4 u. Oh I'm 29 and 85 kg and have done a few hard miles on cattel stations drilling rigs ,scrapers ,dozers and pushing spanners around. That's my 2 cents wort anyway.
CraneLady, This from a retired 30yr Chiropractor: > I mainly run a Leibherr 944 grapple crane and spend 12 hours a day on unlevel outriggers and it tends to beat up the body like an angry bobble head doll and it tears up my body. Hard physical labor, especially in a rig takes a toll. > I am a 27 year old girl and I grew up breaking and riding horses so that may be part of it. Physical trauma. Hard on your spine. > Ive been a operator for almost 5 years. But i would swear my crane was ergonomically designed for a 6'4 German guy, and I am 5'6 140lbs so I spend my time hunched over to see better. Now you’re getting to an important issue. Ergonomics. The rigs were not designed for you. Males still haven’t figured out that the ladies are and will be in the game. > Back pain and sciatica started 2 years ago. Had 3 cortisone injections. They wore off and it snowballed out of control. Did you ever try a good Chiropractor? If not, sorry. > Had emergency surgery Christmas eve at the Cleveland Clinic (12/24/13) herniated L5-s1, bulging L4-L5, and my sciatic nerve was severely pinched and caused excruciating pain beyond belief down my left leg. Unfortunately, you already had surgery. That means the possible easy fix isn’t available to you anymore. Again, sorry. I don’t meant to be insulting but you’re young and you possibly listened to the wrong advice. Now you have to deal with your options. > (My boss told me to "tough it out"!) I almost punched him LOL Bet his feelings are/were that girls just can’t hack it. Otherwise, he’d have protected his employee and made a few alterations that would have kept a good operator healthy and productive. Absent that, now it’s going to cost. > Any way, I'm still off work, PT 3 days a week and as of now can't go back to work until May. To again be brutally honest, one year. You won’t be back to as close to 100% for one year. > Left leg is very weak and pain worsens if stand or sit for extended periods so I am inherently nervous/cautious about going back to work. There is still pressure on the nerves. Period. No other explanation. They either didn’t fix the real problem or now you have scar tissue putting pressure on the nerves. Left that way long enough, the nerve could die. Think numbness. > I NEVER want to go through this again. Too late. You lost that option when you had surgery. Not saying that wasn’t necessary, just saying you should have drained the water first instead of throwing out the baby as your first option. Remember, I don’t know you or your particular details, just giving you 30 years or knowledge. In my career, I did work well with Orthos. > Anyone who had back surgery, how long were you off work? What were your work restrictions? And how did you transition back? I would love input or advice! For your future? You need to either get into a less damaging career that will allow you to work till retirement without the need of a wheelchair. Low back problems + Sitting + constant pounding + a small lady in a big boy’s seat = more future damage. Not saying you can’t do the job. But without an employer willing to accommodate your size, he’s going to loose an otherwise excellent employee. Good luck. But that one year thing? That is how long it’ll take before you now what normal will be for you. Also as Cam said, keeping in good physical shape (regular exercise over and above your job) is key to your future.
I have found that it has been harder on my knees than any other part of my body. Never been fond of seatbelts (I like the option to separate my self from said object) Loaders are tough on knees too. Up hill, piece of cake steep down hill grades...hard on the knees. I can only go back 40 years on pushing with Cats, theirs some old timers on here that I would listen to. Scrappers...a young man tool. Stay fit!!!!!!!!
There's a medicine we use for machinery related illnesses fixes most proplem side afect Are negotiable but in most cases justified we call it BEER wonderful stuff.
I've met more than a few operators that said their hearing was damaged seems they weren't fond of hearing protection. Anyone ever used a Velcro back belt when operating? At the beginning or end of the day
Hearing protection???? Hell no, not in the old days. Yes, we all paid for it back in the day, all open cabs...what about a TS-24 with a screaming Jimmy??? Enclosed cabs are a ear life saver well, unless they keep the stereo to loud. Hell dude, I/we rarely wore hearing protection out shooting at the range!!!!
From a 74 year old: I took semi retirement at 62 and got my SS after working in the auto and truck repair for over years and owning my own business for 30. I was starting to have a lot of back problems. I am not the type to sit still. I never got to have Tonka toys when growing up or a sand box so I bought a mini dozer, backhoe, dump truck and had more business than I could do. A couple of years ago I took on a job that was larger than I should have and there was a time frame that the job had to be done. The owner would take no for a answer as I had done work for him before and he couldn't get any one else with a larger dozer. I was on the dozer three or four days, long hours, not even getting off to stretch or pee. I come home one night and I told my wife that I thought I had cracked a rib as I had a lot of pain. Ignored it and went back on the dozer the next day. When I came home that night, took a shower, ate and sat down to rest. I told her she had better take me to the emergency room as something was wrong. I had, had a blood clot in my leg from sitting too long on the dozer and it had moved to my lungs according to the doctor. Was in hospital for almost a week because they were afraid it would move to my heart. Last year I was on my dozer for three or four days again on a job. About a month later my fingers and hands begin to feel like some one had run over them. They got so sore I could hardly touch them. Took a while before the light bulb come on and traced it back to the long hours on the dozer jerking and pulling the levers. My wife says I think I am a "Timex" watch, that just keeps on ticking but if I don't slow down I am going to take my last "tick". (by the way after getting out of the garage) I had a lot less back problems)