Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Calling all Mechanics

WestoverJ ยท 2015-12-13 14:33

I own a Case 1845c. The drain plugs are located on the bottom. They are 1/2 inch female square holes. Due to tilting, the edges have been thoroughly rolled over and I can not get a 1/2 inch driver into the hole. Any advice? A case mechanic said to just drive a 1/2 inch socket extension into the hole but it is impossible. A 3/8 socket extension is too small. Has anyone ever encountered this problem? What could I possibly do to get something in there to turn them loose. Thanks!

Replies20
  1. #1Jonas3022015-12-13 14:43

    If its just the edges rolled over get in there with a carbide cutter and cut the burrs off If the hole is stripped you can weld a nut to the old plug and turn on that sometimes carefully walking a stripped plug out with an air hammer works

  2. #2Delmer2015-12-13 15:13

    A "flex extension" might work, it's got a head like a square ball if that makes sense. They let the extension drive a socket at an angle, but the tip being a little smaller will let you drive it in. Or grind the shoulders off a regular extension. Or use a tiny chisel on the plug hole. If all else fails you can weld a nut to it. Just let it cool completely and it will come right out.

  3. #3lantraxco2015-12-13 15:37

    Sharp chisel will catch the edge and start it loose maybe, then replace with new.

  4. #4DDoug2015-12-13 15:49

    There are some "easy outs" ( yes I did write that) that are tapered square. Might try driving one of those in there to square things back up.

  5. #5hetkind2015-12-13 16:17

    Grind an extension or I would just drill and easy out. I like the left handed dills and a air powered drill motor

  6. #6WestoverJ2015-12-14 08:23

    When you suggest -- "or use a tiny chisel on the plug hole" -- are you saying to chisel the "rounded edges" to get it back to 1/2 inch? Or use the chisel with a hammer to knock the plug loose enough to turn it by hand?

  7. #7WestoverJ2015-12-14 08:26

    Thanks Men......... I appreciate all the advice. I should have stated that my resources are limited. I think the advice I could use today would be to grind an extension to fit the hole. Didn't think of that. Although I will have to borrow my neighbors bench grinder. I have hardly any tools. City man recently moved to the country. Thanks again guys!

  8. #8WestoverJ2015-12-14 08:30

    What is an "Easy Out"?

  9. #9kshansen2015-12-14 08:55

    https://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-742d3304508d1d1f3ea0ea20bb947f46?convert_to_webp=true Or if you want the square style: http://www.madelectrical.com/workshop/images/broken10.jpg

  10. #10hetkind2015-12-14 09:16

    Here is one brand of screw extractors and matching drill bits... but the correct sized left handed drill extractor, ground down lengthwise, without overheating, just might be the best way to go. Get a spare drain plug first! Howard https://jet.com/product/detail/d101...0KPo7eJee2ZBdcGtKSvW4Fw6QibR1INqHsaAvzx8P8HAQ

  11. #11Delmer2015-12-14 10:16

    http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piec...impact-wobble-socket-extension-set-67066.html Here is what I meant by the 1/2" extension, the drive is rounded for a different purpose, but it will hammer into your plug better than a straight one. If you grind a regular extension, only grind off the square front edges so you can drive it in, you still want the full 1/2" to engage. I meant a chisel take off the burr that's keeping the extension from fitting, but you can dig into the outer part of the plug and possibly get it loose that way also, just not my first choice.

  12. #12WestoverJ2015-12-14 13:51

    The third from the left is exactly what I need. Thanks for your help.

  13. #13WestoverJ2015-12-14 13:53

    Thanks again guys. I just bought a bench grinder and I think I can get it from here.

  14. #14sims2015-12-16 08:53

    WestoverJ Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another Georgia 1845C user! The plugs on my 1845C were 5/8 hex. But my method may help you if you find that the plugs are really tight and rusted in place. Mine were. Put your extension, socket or driver on a 1/2" breaker bar Use a floor jack and "jack" up the driver and breaker bar into the offending plug. Put some pressure on the driver to really force it into the plug. The rotating head of the floor jack will allow you to turn the plug. Use a cheater on the breaker bar to add some torque. I used a 4 ft piece of pipe. Made a huge pop at first. Mine are pipe threads and once loosened they spun right out. Replace with new plugs. I used these http://www.mcmaster.com/#44605k667/=109i0dk

  15. #15sims2015-12-16 08:55

    WestoverJ Forgot to mention that I used antiseize on the replacement plugs for easy removal in the future. SimS

  16. #16melben2015-12-16 13:34

    Done a lot of them in various condition, if a torch is available heat them suckers red hot n let them cool, you will be able to turn them out with no effort.

  17. #17Shimmy12015-12-16 15:05

    Be aware, even after ruining an extension by grinding it down, you might get it in there and twist it around. The rounded over edges covering the hole might not have enough meat to turn the plug loose. In this case, I would prefer to use a die grinder (or file, if you're the ambitious type) and clean the plug out until it fits a proper extension.

  18. #18WestoverJ2015-12-17 11:47

    Got them out!!! Thanks again for everyone who contributed. Pretty cool. I owe you all a beer!

  19. #19WestoverJ2015-12-17 11:56

    Thanks sims. I actually did what you describe, before reading your post. But I used my arm as leverage.........which was stupid now seeing your advice. I basically lowered the skidsteer to a level which allowed me to jam my forearm while holding a wood block against the wrench. I used a cheater bar and was able to push hard enough with my left arm -- pushing away from me while holding pressure against the wrench with my elbow wedged into a rubber mat. I can't believe I was able to turn it. I did have to chisel a circle groove over the edges of the plug because as you said, the edges had rusted and welded together. The plug is unusable......so I'm grateful for your link. I think Case charges like 5 bucks for a new plug. Love this site! Thanks again guys.

  20. #20ironjunkie2015-12-27 21:15

    It's a mythical tool that in some dreamland makes it easy to take out or remove broken bolts out of Unicorn carts.