Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Camera to help see into ditch

oceanobob ยท 2011-04-01 23:58

Anyone try to use a "back up camera" to look down into a trench? Especially when digging straight below the machine.

Replies5
  1. #1JS580SL2011-04-02 14:35

    Thats what a good laborer is for...

  2. #2oceanobob2011-04-03 18:36

    Here's a good idea from another reader: Maybe a light mounted on the dipper mount on the inside of the stick up tucked in close to the boom? Outa the way but there to shine directly into the trench when its late a nite and cant see s****? Would be better than a couple guys tryin to hold a flashlight.... * I have a lot of lights on my K (8 total) and we use the machine as a general area light tower to get set up in the wee hours for concrete jobs and later in the day to make sure the trucks are loaded and secured for the ride home. A spot light under the boom would shine down onto the bucket. I was asking about the camera to help when the angle is below the line of sight - we are thinking of trying the backup camera set up to see what we can see....

  3. #3oceanobob2011-04-04 23:58

    an added comment to my post - thank you for fixing the spelling on the word 'camera' in the title!

  4. #4Deeretime2011-04-05 00:34

    I had one on my 270d caust 1000$ and doesnt work bad, but you have no depth perception and dont have a very detailed picture! Mabe there is a better one out there but all mine was good for was putting rock on the pipe

  5. #54045chad2011-04-19 08:19

    I haven't had very good results from any version of back up camera when they are exposed to moisture/dirt or vibrations, all of which I think anything mounted to the boom would be exposed to.