Howdy, can I use a old mech pump on a 3306c Thanks
??? IDK..
Howdy, I'm not too hip on what is idk? it is Direct injected. I did try to change the air fuel regulator, I bought a complete one, and the treaded rod in it was very loose and I could not figure out how to get the whole unit out, so I just changed the rubber...Thanks for any info
Kinda need the whole story here. Why do you think you need to change the pump out? Cat or a Cat certified truck dealer can probably fix it on the engine for far less money and time.
Howdy I can get this used pump for 500?? The truck smokes like heck, too much fuel, I think the fuel regulator is bad but I could not figure out how to take it off. I bought a new fuel regulator and had to take the rubber diaphragm out and change only that. ??
Well to have even the slightest chance of giving any good answer the bare minimum information needed would be the S/N's off both engines. And even that is a little iffy as we and you may not be sure the pumps on those engines are the same ones that they left the factory with when new. Not trying to be nasty but it is about like asking if the carb off one chevy with a 350 engine will fit and work right on this other one over here. I see this is posted in the "truck" section so just maybe you are working with two truck engines but that 3306 Cat engine has been used in just about every application that needs something turned from fishing boats to drill rigs. About the only thing I don't think they have tried one in is an airplane but would not put it past someone! I would say answering RZucker's question would be a good place to start! Knowing the S/N and what it is doing that you don't want it to do just might get you an answer telling you how to fix it. No guarantees lets give it a try???
Okay you relied while I was typing. That is a good start but now at least one or two questions besides the full S/N of the engine assuming it is the original set up. Next is when did this smoking start and anything else you noticed that also happened or was done to it at that time? Just for an example "Smokes too much" could mean you need to change air filter or even the turbo has failed or exhaust is plugged and so on.....
Howdy, I did put a new air cleaner, I did check all intakes, air to air 1999 dump truck. I just bought it and did notice the truck was running very cold about 125f , It does need a new clutch fan as it is locked on. I took of all the belts and got it to run at 190 and it did not smoke until I wacked it all the way down.(too much fuel)( half way down no smoke) When cold it smoked all the time. Somebody boggered the pump before I got it... no blow by and seams to run good. ps Do not serial # of the old pump
See if there is a S/N on the engine maybe on valve cover or stamped in block. Or maybe on some paperwork that came with truck? Look in glove box who knows what you might find! Worst case maybe some pictures of the engine might be able to guess at something from those. To be honest I'm more of an off road equipment guy but there are many over the road guys here who might be able to help.
Thanks, I will look tomorrow and I will also try a picture.
Ok... Stop right here. Fix the fan and change the thermostat. And pressure check the Air to air and make dang sure you don't have a leaking boot or something stupid like that. Pump is the last resort when you have a mess of worms like this. And now you have messed with the pump. I'm not being an a**hole, but this is how long non productive threads start.
Did those engines not smoke flat out under load anyway? Smoke a little bit cold also? There are two of those still here. The last one I had the pump off of, for some other reason. I pinned the crank and pump? Maybe they would not pin together. Thank I pinned the pump. Know I wrapped the end of mechanics wire around a bolt head and tightened it down. Bent the other end close to the balancer and marked the balancer. Put it back together by the book with the flywheel and pump pinned. It smoked like crazy burn your eyes out fill up the shop with smoke. Retarded injection timing. Loosened the pump gear and timed it to the marks I made. It runs OK and the driver has never said a thing. I thank that must be a problem with the timing advance. If you are blaming the air fuel regulator for the smoke I have only seen them cause low power and no smoke when defective. That is about all I remember. Pumpguy RZ and ksh may have some better info if you follow the instructions and answer their questions.
This does smoke like crazy!! Someone f the pump up before I got it...As I said I did check all the intake hoses and I think I am not a idiot as I did figure out one problem as IT RUNS TOO COLD but someone played with the pump BEFORE I just don't know too much about Cats..... My first though was the timing also Tenwheeler! Thanks for your in put! Where do you pin the pump at? I also took off the gear cover in the front of motor and did not see anyway to adjust that gear. Maybe it is off a tooth. One time I bought a Mack many years ago and it ran ruff because the flywheel was off 180degrees. THANKS
ps here's a picture of my 3306c pump
Not having a S/N makes it a bit of a guessing game but looking at your pump looks like it MIGHT be this one. Well here is the timing procedure from Cat. Note the instructions show more than one method depending on the tooling you have available. Read it through a few times to get to where you really understand what they are saying. And understand that worn or broken advancer can throw things off. All that said I agree with RZucker, trying to solve the problem with out fixing the basics is going to send you down a rabbit hole you might never crawl out of! Sorry but that is the way things often work!
Also if what you are calling "the air fuel regulator" is what Cat calls the "Fuel Ratio Control" attached are the remove disassemble and reassemble and install instructions.
Howdy THANKS for the info. I will try to remove it. One more question, could this control been put in wrong and not hooked into the governor??? I did notice that the valve extension was showing a lot of tread and it seamed to me at that time it was not normal but I did not know what I was doing....Maybe that's why I could not take out the assembly at that time, so I just changed the rubber diaphram.
It's warm today, anyway the control was behind the governor lever and not hooked in. Somebody put a stud to hold it in, so I needed to take the stud out to get the control off. The tip was worn from rubbing on gov. I changed the part with one that was little different inside(had 2 springs on valve extension). Still smoking but now the engine runs up to 180f . Will the adjusting screw stop some of the smoke? Thanks