Hello, I have a question concerning the average crane's 'dexterity', for want of a better word. I want to lift and place a caravan into a garden by going over the top of a bungalow. However, there are some power leads in the way, coming down to the back of my bungalow from a pole at the back of the garden (so they'd snag the bottom of the caravan as it came down). Can a crane operator overcome this problem? Is it a common practice to, for example, attach a chain to the bottom of the caravan and pull it to allow the caravan to tilt and navigate the power leads? Or maybe there's a way of rotating the caravan whilst on the crane so that it goes in pointing downwards and then gets rotated just before it hits the deck? I'm sure I'm not the first person who's had this problem, but I thought I'd ask someone in the profession if it's at all possible. Thanks for your time. Miles Forman
Just have the power lines moved temporarily then reconnected. Caravans are not meant to be lifted, so you will need some framing, stretcher bars, special rigging just to lift it, let alone have it do gymnastics while suspended from a hook.
What he said is on the money. Get your house drop temporarily disconnected by the utility if that is all that is in the way. I know a guy whose neighbour wouldn't let him use the neighbours driveway to get a shed delivered to his back yard. So a phone call, some cash and the shed was flown over the house into the backyard, despite neighbours opposition. On the other hand I saw a video on youtube of a guy having a hot tub placed into his backyard with a large crane. The crane swung over the guys house and tipped over, crane boom damaging the roof of the house.
No problem-o.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlzQq3nOj5c And...how it was done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5X9qO3MAZU