Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can a skid steer engine be pulled from pumps by unbolting only pump

Parts ยท 2016-12-20 09:35

On my gehl project I am about to pull the engine. Instead of pulling the engine with the pump I was thinking of just unbolting the pump from the engine adapter. I assume the pump shaft would then slide out of the engine as I pull the engine back. I would rather do it like this instead of unbolting all of the bolts on the sae engine adapter because I think only 2 bolts hold in the pump. So if anyone could confirm that unbolting the pump and pulling the engine away is ok instead of unbolting the round sae adapter. Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1mikebramel2016-12-20 17:15

    Yes that will work better

  2. #2Parts2016-12-20 18:14

    So I started to unbolt the 2 bolts holding on the pump to the adapter but the bolts do not unthread completely because they hit the pump as you get them almost out. So would you say I could put the hoist on there and pull the engine back toward the back of the machine and then get in there and loosen the bolts the last remaining couple turns or do I risk hurting the pump or its shaft?

  3. #3Parts2016-12-20 18:21

    So to be clear - I have the ones circled in red mostly loose and probably would be able to pull the engine back and then get them loose the rest of the way. Loosening the ones in red would be in lieu of loosening the ones circled in green because I do not seem to be able to get to the bottom ones at all. Could anyone confirm that pulling the two bolts circled in red would separate my engine from the pump without damaging anything? Last thing I want to do is surprisingly hurt some tough to find part!

  4. #4Tones2016-12-20 18:25

    Yes, it should come apart. On assembly I recommend replacing the 2 bolts.

  5. #5Parts2016-12-20 18:32

    Thank you. I am going to reinstall the 6-7 bellhousing bolts I was able to take out and then work on only the two circled in red. I will be sure to replace those bolts on reassembly. I can't tell what exactly is under my pump holding it up but if there isn't a bracket I may have to use my metal brake to bend up something to hold the pump. I assume right now when I pull the engine the pump will just sit there on its own - because all the hoses are connected to it.

  6. #6Bkish072016-12-30 20:28

    Take the bolts out that are circled in green. Then pull engine out. I think there is a coupler on the end of the pump that won't pull through the pump mounting plate. That's why u have to take out the ring of bolts. It's been a few years sense I've done one.