Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1840 no-start fuel selenoid

n0vice ยท 2016-12-20 20:11

Im troubleshooting what I thought was just a gelled up machine. Ran idle for 20 minutes but when I throttled up it choked and died. Wouldn't start again so I plugged it in, tented and warmed it up, switched fuel filter and bled the lines to filter and injectors (which spurted on crank but not a lot). ..still won't start. (No smoke) Starts if I spray ether in the air intake so I'm wondering about the fuel selenoid or electrical issues to the selenoid. How do I test that? Supposed to be 12v correct? I have a service manual but all the pictures and wiring schematics are for the older models. My pin is jaf0312383 so it's newer model and nothing matches. ..so I'm annoyed and questioning if I'm even right on which is the fuel selenoid. Harness from temperature sensor has a white to one place on the pump (no clue) and a black to another place (suspected selenoid). Any thoughts?

Replies7
  1. #1thepumpguysc2016-12-20 20:19

    If it starts w/ starting fluid, the solenoid is good. If it was bad, it wouldn't start at all.

  2. #2n0vice2016-12-20 23:12

    It stops running the second I stop spraying the starting fluid. So it has to be a fuel delivery issue...

  3. #3n0vice2016-12-20 23:42

    Am I correct with these? Thanks for the help.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2016-12-21 04:13

    The shut-off solenoid should be getting 12v at starting.. You can temporarily jump it w/ a hot wire off the battery.. listen for it to click.. the wax motor underneath is a cold start device... will the white wire reach the CSD?? or does it already have a wire on it?? The no voltage to the solenoid could be just a fuse OR a safety switch preventing the flow of voltage.. OR a bad solenoid. Loosen all the lines at the injectors, or as many as you can get to, to see if its pumping fuel after you jump the solenoid. Are you getting fuel TO THE PUMP?

  5. #5n0vice2016-12-21 10:52

    Is the CSD the ether injection system or something else? Because I don't have that. And yes there's a wire on it already. Black wire coming from temp sensor. My first post was incorrect. The white wire from the sensor(?) is going to the solenoid. I jumped the solenoid and it engaged just fine. Didn't turn it over yet; I want to try tracing back where I'm losing the voltage first. The wires come from this. ..am I correct that this is a temp sensor?

  6. #6n0vice2016-12-21 11:55

    Problem solved. The harness bringing power to the solenoid wasnt getting a good connection. It was tight but apparently corroded. Traced each connection from fuse until I found it. 2 days of troubleshooting fuel in -15F and it was a dumb corroded connection. Figures... Thanks for the responses!

  7. #7thepumpguysc2016-12-21 12:26

    Merry Christmas.. your welcome.