The winch i am going to use on my truck if i put it on the way it was to be used the sprocket will be on the wrong side from the pto and i will need to build a jack shaft. I have taken winches apart and turned the worm around but it cant be done on this one, If i put it on backwards the input shaft will face the rear of the truck but this is no big deal.
Any mechanical worm tulsa type winch will pull the same amount forwards or backwards. The only thing I would look at is if it has a mechanical disconnect for free spool, some of those are tapered to fall in when winching up. You may look at that. Also- i don't remember what thead its in, but I said I'd get pictures of my old winch mount and boom pole, well here they are: The winch sat right between the angle irons- below where the hydraulic wet kit tank is now. There are rails coming back from that mount, that have some ears sticking up for the legs of the boom. The boom had pins in the bottom, and it stored up against the headache rack with a chain. To use it, we would just let it down to the angle we wanted, and it had two lower cables from each side of the headache rack to the mid eye on the boom, putting it at 30-40 degrees or so. The boom pole is like three sections that you can pull out and pin off, with a swiveling head. There was a cable and pedal assembly right by the battery box, to control the clutch in and out, and a lever mounted for the reverser on the mechanical pto right beside it. So you just stood by the battery box and pushed the clutch in with your foot, and ran the lever for fwd/reverse, saves a bunch of in and out of the cab.
You have to build a pretty good headache rack if you support the boom from the rack. Otherwise- you could build a leg that flipped down to a crossmember or the bed of your truck, rather than pulling on the rack. I think that's how it all went together, it hasn't been on the truck in 10 years since we put on the wet kit.
Thanks that gives me some ideals on what to do.I looked at it agin before work and saw i could take it apart and turn it over and around so when i got off work half day i tore into it. now i just have to mount it. I steal dont know if i will mount it low or high.
I set it up on the truck its not going to be easy running the drive chain. l may offset it to one side or run a jackshaft on top of the cab mount cross member or slide the airtank backward and move alot of air lines.
You've got a lot of air lines and tanks in the way. Are you going to make a cab guard/ headache rack? You could just add it onto the rectangular tubing that you have.
I will build a guard later i dont know if i will use tubing . This is my other truck a 73 IH with a 350 chevy.
Looks like Braden winch.
No there both Garwoods.The one i am trying to get mounted is off of a M5 highspeed tractor. I had planed on pulling the blue one off and junking the IH when i got another truck but its a monster the picture dosent do it justice and its i dont want to do some of the stuff i do with the better truck.
Never knew about Garwood! I learned something today! Thanks!
How about driving it hydraulically? A bit of bracket fab ,hoses, motor and pump and some off the shelf shaft couplings . It might be easier than running jackshafts and chains
My smart *** mind finally got the better of me on this thread. As I have not much experience with winches I kept scrolling past till today. Well I just had to say that I really don't see how a winch can be used backwards, I mean how can you push on a cable? Kind of like the one about "Why did the guy drag the chain down the road? Did you ever try pushing one?"
Backwards means you still pulling, but not the direction it was originally designed to. On winches it got to do with clutch releases ( if one is there), mechanical breaks, some worm winches use sprague type of mechanical breaks, also in worm winch it is necessary to know how the worm shaft thrust is designed - for example double taper roller bearings is most of the time bi directional thrust control, but if separate thrust bearing is used with cylindrical bearings, then you probably will bust the cap out when loading worm shaft wrong direction. There’s also the question of the cable securement design and devices ( weather you can flip the drum to the other side) and cable going “on top” or underneath” the drum, and weather cable will rub the frame when winded on wrong side of the drum. I do some work on fishing boats, and I see these issues often, when unsuspecting fishermen order identical winches for port and starboard sides, just to find out that they have problems with routing the cables and cables rubbing on stuff.
I need it short a Hyd motor would add about a foot to the winch also it would add $ ????.00 it the cost.I think a hyd winch would be great if it was free and never leaked or had a breakdown. I am almost done moving hose i need a 1/4 npt 45 degree street elbo that i will get Monday.
Just a thought , sounds like you have a plan . I know what its like when your scrounging around the shop and the boneyard to get a project done. If i had a buck for every hour of scrounging around for fittings and goodies trying to finish a project at night i could retire and just do more projects.
I got the hoses and driver side mount built but i havent got the passenger side figured out. The winch is off set i cant build a frame unless i jack the winsh up higher. I dont know if i build a shelf if it will be so far away that it will cause a problem. I can put one upright inside the frame i may do that.
I came up with a plan on the front i have room for a flat plate standing up running between the to sides. I think it will work anyway i like it. Its ready to be removed to weld out then i will have to remove one air tank and drill 3 holes.I will be gald to start on the pto drive.
I told my self i couldnt stop till it was welded. I got it welded and set on the truck going to eat supper and get all the bolts in that i have or have holes for.
The trucks engine made it turn tonight. I dont have a control cable hooked up and i think it is to fast but the truck was on fast ideal so i will see and if it is i can put a smaller sprocket on the jack shaft. I all so dont have a chain tightener yet.
You beat me to it. I thought I would wait to reply until some useful ideas had been given.
This Grove winch is a good example. It has a overrunning clutch in the small case to the top and right of the motors. It "mechanically" locks the big sun gear from allowing any cable to come off the drum. If it was remounted turned around, the cable spools opposite on the drum. (You turn the drum the opposite direction to reel in cable) The overrunning clutch would only be working keeping more cable from coming in, and not going out. The hydraulic motors work the same in going either direction, its the brake that operates differently. If you bought this winch unmounted, you may think the roller is the direction its supposed to pull from, but that would actually be backwards. That roller is to hold the second winch cable off of this winch, this was the front winch from a two winch crane. Its designed to pull in from the right side of the picture. If you had it spooled so it was pulling in from left side of the picture, over the top of the roller, the overrunning clutch would be in the wrong direction.
I used it today its to fast for me.. I winched the AC 7000 up on my trailer at a ideal i didnt want any problems so i used a pulley to slow it down.The top sprocket is as big as it can be to fit but its also lets the chain slap the drum its above the drum. The bottom sprocket is close to the same size but smaller i may move it to the top and find another alot smaller for the bottom. I had to buy a yoke,a key,one u joint, bolts and 3 cable clamps i have less that $150.00 in it so far.