Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can anyone confirm the part number? 1980 D3B Injection Pump

lizrad999 ยท 2026-02-19 11:47

I'm looking for the caps for the injection pump that the injector lines screw into. The attached diagram from Cat lists them as "Bonnets", but the image Cat provides on their parts page looks like the other image. 7S-6683. The four on my injection pump are all chipped, probably due to over tightening.... Are there any Injection Pump gurus that have seen this before?

Replies12
  1. #1Nige2026-02-19 12:09

    To help track down information confirming the Serial Number of the machine and the engine might be a help. Is it the same 23Y0807 and engine 45V28529 as your previous posts.?

  2. #2pittsburgh cat man2026-02-19 12:13

    You do know you need a special splined tool to remove the nut holding it and you have to remove the four injection pump to to change the bonnet

  3. #3lizrad9992026-02-19 12:25

    yes sir it is the same bag o' snakes.

  4. #4lizrad9992026-02-19 12:26

    So the pump needs to come off machine to change the bonnets? Any idea the part number of that splined tool? Looks like it might be the 8T-5287. Is that correct?

  5. #5pittsburgh cat man2026-02-19 13:02

    not the whole pump just the 4 pumps for each cylinder. there is a clip that goes around the bonnet and pump I might have the number of tool I'll have to go root around in my tool box Are the injection lines leaking??

  6. #6pittsburgh cat man2026-02-19 13:15

    Don't have it I must have given it away when I retired

  7. #7lizrad9992026-02-19 15:08

    Thank goodness......I was starting to sweat it! I found what must be the tool. Each of my nozzles has internal splines around the threaded part, so 8T-5287 appears to be the one. I've ordered from Cat and will pickup tomorrow. Thanks for the headsup!

  8. #8Old Magnet2026-02-19 15:19

    Takes this splined socket

  9. #9Old Magnet2026-02-19 15:26

    What's with the new numbers? You posted 27Y02993 and 45V43781 Now 23Y0807 and 45V28529?????

  10. #10BushMike2026-02-19 15:32

    Old Magnate, Lizrad999 is a different post than mine. Different D3B

  11. #11Old Magnet2026-02-19 15:37

    OK, this is getting too confusing and there are to many posts.

  12. #12Old Magnet2026-02-19 16:15

    For lizard999....1980 D3B s/n example 27Y0656 to 27Y1131 and engine 45V21896 to 32939 uses a 7N4675 Governor and Pump Group with 7N5630 pump housing.