Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can anyone diagnose this?

viking1 · 2018-08-29 22:39

Hi Folks. I have a Case 855D that is smoking a lot of blue out past the radiator when it warms up (more as it gets hotter). I thought it might have been an injector, so I threw in a new set. Still no change, so I just put on a new turbo. Still no change. Its running OK, although I think I detect a slight miss at idle (barely perceptible). I haven't really given it much of a test since I did the turbo today, will do tomorrow. The coolant is clean and at full level, and it doesn't overheat. Is it possible I blew a head gasket in a spot that just lets oil in a cylinder? Cracked head? I'm really pretty stumped, but I guess a compression check is the next step (even though its running well)? Appreciate any & all suggestions....

Replies12
  1. #1thepumpguysc2018-08-30 05:03

    You want us to diagnose a BLUE smoking problem w/ a "description" of the parts you've changed & a "picture" of a stationary machine?? Atleast post a video.. You do know BLUE SMOKE is OIL, right? How about checking the oil LEVEL.. The inj. pump or lift pump can leak "fuel" into the crank case & flood the system.. allowing oil to go UP past the rings. Pull the oil fill cap AND dipstick on a RUNNING engine & look for smoke.. IF its "puffing" on a certain stroke, try to narrow it down to "a" cylinder.. by loosening the inj. lines 1 at a time & watching the "puffs"..

  2. #2DMiller2018-08-30 06:59

    TPG hit it pretty close, you do not have a fuel problem as far as we can tell, you need to give more info with a video and the answer will likely be the same, a cylinder gone to hell pumping oil. Oil vapors thru the radiator is most likely coming from crankcase ventilation NOT the exhaust.

  3. #3Nige2018-08-30 08:24

    A diagnosis based on the symptoms as described by the OP and the fact that there is no video, without the benefit of a crystal ball - NO.

  4. #4viking12018-08-30 10:15

    yeah sorry guys; I took a video but for some reason I couldn't get it to focus. I'll get a new phone Up & running & post. If the smoke IS coming from the crank vent (which I suspect), what does that generally indicate?

  5. #5Junkyard2018-08-30 11:45

    Blowby-aka crankcase pressure. Worn rings, liners, pistons. Scored liner or piston skirt, busted ring/s. Just flat wore out

  6. #6hosspuller2018-08-30 12:16

    Don't make everybody guess. Cut to the facts... Just confirm the smoke is coming from the crankcase vent … Or pull the engine oil dip stick and see if any smoke comes out.

  7. #7Wes J2018-08-30 13:03

    Could be a blow exhaust manifold gasket. If it's coming from the breather, it's blowby in the piston rings. Usually a head gasket blown that bad would not make enough compression to allow combustion in that cylinder, so no actual smoke.

  8. #8viking12018-08-30 13:09

    OK, ran it for 15 minutes until smoke was pouring out of the breather. Was letting it idle to avoid caramelization before I shut it down, and the engine gave a big "puff" (almost sounded like an air hose being disconnected) of smoke right above the ip. Oil is being forced out of the crankcase too. I think there's a breather that gets clogged, but I doubt my problem could be that simple. This was a rebuilt 6T590 just a few years ago......

  9. #9DMiller2018-08-30 13:17

    Time to open it up, Again.

  10. #10viking12018-08-30 13:19

    Oy...... :-( I think I'll shop for a long block. I just went thru the entire undercarriage a couple years ago too.

  11. #11Wes J2018-08-30 13:28

    Sounds like you have a hole in a piston or something catastrophic.

  12. #12Petemcc2018-08-30 14:36

    Do a compression test...