Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can anyone give me an idea of what year this is?

tompands ยท 2022-06-19 11:15

I just bought this CAT 955 at an auction for $2500. It runs, moves, and operates. If it pushes a little bit of dirt , then so be it. If it don't, then I'll scrap it for more then I give for it.

Replies24
  1. #1skyking12022-06-19 11:24

    there's a serial number on there somewhere. That is where I would start. Congrats on your new Cat iron!!

  2. #2tompands2022-06-19 14:30

    yeah, the auction said they couldn't find a serial #, but your right, it has to be there somewhere. I'm trying to find a trucker tp pick it up in Lebanon Tenn, and bring it to NC. Anybody know someone that would do that reasonably. It's a 300 mile trip, one guy said $3400, he's nuts.

  3. #3Tones2022-06-19 15:42

    Early to mid 60s

  4. #4skyking12022-06-19 17:37

    300 miles one way is an ~11 hour day if he is near you. 3400 is a little steep, I would think more like 2400.

  5. #5tompands2022-06-19 17:45

    How in the world is 300 miles a 11 hour day??? I could load this machine by myself, chain it down, and drive the 300 miles, unload it , in 6 hours at most. I know fuel is crazy and I'm figuring $1 a mile just for fuel=$300...just for fuel. How much for the truck? Over $2000, I'm sorry , but that's ridiculous.

  6. #6skyking12022-06-19 18:14

    300 miles 1 way is 600 miles round trip. perhaps we are saying different things but I can't drive commercial and load unload in less than 11 hours.

  7. #7Willie B2022-06-19 18:38

    I'd surrender my right arm if it can be done in 11 hours. You'll need the Bandit to run block to average more than60 MPH!

  8. #8skyking12022-06-19 19:00

    hehe^^

  9. #9tompands2022-06-19 19:14

    I guess you don't haul equipment. this machine is just over 20,000 lbs. Light load. I haul equipment all over florida, heavy equipment. 40,000, 45,000 lb machines. If they are secured properly you can do the speed limit, over if it's safe to do so. There is absolutely NO reason why it should take more then 5 hours to run 300 miles , all of it on Interstate highway, averaging 60 mph. YOU my friend, just lost your right arm!

  10. #10skyking12022-06-19 19:53

    is that a 300 mile round trip?

  11. #11tompands2022-06-19 20:22

    one way

  12. #12skyking12022-06-19 20:27

    so unless scotty is going to transport his truck and trailer over there for him, then it's a 600 mile trip.

  13. #13Tyler d4c2022-06-19 20:53

    Why exactly are we arguing about hualing a machine to the point its seems to be getting heated.

  14. #14skyking12022-06-19 20:56

    LOL heated?

  15. #15Tyler d4c2022-06-19 21:01

    He seems mad

  16. #16skyking12022-06-19 21:14

    I don't think anybody deadheads for free. Getting the backhaul would be really sweet but not something to plan on.

  17. #17DDoug2022-06-20 09:26

    Either way, the purchase price has NO bearing what-so-ever with the cost to haul it.

  18. #18Willie B2022-06-20 09:34

    I look at my readout on my van, it gives average speed. I live 50 miles from the closest interstate. I drive secondary roads & the biggest highways I'm likely to drive are 55 MPH speed limit. Still, the stop & go of each intersection, I'm averaging 38 MPH. Perhaps you are correct, on interstate you might average 60 MPH, gotta stop to pee. Unlikely, each end of 300 miles are interstate, & you gotta load & unload. My largest truck with trailer & load is around 37000, Hills slow me down a lot. Up is slow, down is slow also. I run on a lot of 10% grade hills.

  19. #19LCA0782022-06-23 21:47

    i just paid $1,400 to haul my 941B (24,500lbs) from Ft Worth, TX to Austin, TX. 208 miles from point to point. Took the trucker 13 hours round trip. 3 1/2 hours to get through the gates and load at Richie Bros, 5 hours to Austin (moderate traffic during the day), 30 mins to drop, 4 hours back (light traffic at night). Even if you forget the Richie Bros loadout times, it's still about over 9 hour day for only 416 miles round trip. I had bids on Uship and Veritread from $1275 to $3500. The lowest guy was a broker and couldn't guarantee a date. The next guy at $1400 was an owner/operator and gave me firm date/times. Well worth it for me to have a piece of mind. I think you'll be in the $2000-2500 range when the right transporter comes round.

  20. #20LCA0782022-06-23 22:00

    Just curious then why can't you go haul your own equipment?

  21. #21361brock2022-06-23 22:25

    In 1964 the 955H became a pedel steer so that is older. My lever steer 955H was serial # 60A6994 and it was purchased new in 1963. Funny thing was my dad asked if any new modifications would be on the 64. They said none that they knew of.

  22. #22skyking12022-06-23 22:52

    dad worked with a pair of 955's at Laymans lumber company. They were new then but pony motor machines, and they were primarily used to take the blade and arms off a D9 for transport. Take the blade and arms off, load them on a lowboy, and haul it all out there to unload, then send a lowboy back for the D9. They build a lot of roads for the timber back in the early 60's.

  23. #23tompands2022-07-01 15:56

    Well, I work for the county here, they probably wouldn't take too kindly if I took their truck to Tenn, to pick my loader up , haul it to NC and then return to FLA.

  24. #24skyking12022-07-01 20:54

    do you have it on the way home?