The curator at the local museum was wondering what make and approximate year this truck is, it was taken in the Naselle area in Southwest Washington. It was owned by RC Bell who was in Deep River from 1904 to 1918. She believes the first log truck was used in Washington in 1913, not sure how she knows that. This one looks pretty new, the driver Pete Larson sure is proud of it!
With the radiator rising above the hood like that one I would bet it's a REO. Federal made some that looked like that also. Truck Shop
And the year would be early to mid 20's Truck Shop
I agree, it must be fairly new; the tin is still straight! What is amazing to me, is that chain drives worked in the bush. One would think that sticks or stones would get jammed between the chain and sprockets causing all sorts of problems
Really looks like a err ' 28 ish Mack but no hood ornament.
The Mack AB model from those years also had a high radiator but Mack was not known to use Budd wheels at that time period {not saying they couldn't have produced some with Budd style wheels. Here are two examples of a 1925 REO and a 1925 Mack AB. Also Mack was not the only company to produce a truck with chain drive. But the front frame horns look Mackish. And REO made C-cab's also Truck Shop
Now you really have me wondering. I sent a PM to a man that's a Mack authority to find out.
Well the other thing with the later macks is they liked a lot of lugnuts! and the big engine louvres instead of small ones. JP Noonan, have seen that truck in person.
Thanks for the replies, I have been trying to match it up with pictures, kind of thinking an AB Mack but the budd wheels also kind of threw me, I came up with mid 20's also which wouldn't jive with her story. I also wondered how the chain drive worked out, must have been interesting!
1928 AB Mack. Those chain drive trucks were tough, 4 cylinder engines and a lot of gear! The chain drive had a drip oiler and while being a little messy seemed to work pretty good!
It sure looks like the Mack oval on the top tank of the radiator on the original picture in spite of the lack of ornament.
The way the frame turns down to the bumper sure looks like those macks
Are you saying she thought THIS was the first truck in WA in 1913? Or is she trying to date the picture? Even if it was a 1908 or whatever, it wouldn't prove it was before 1913.
Talked to a friend of mine who's sharp on old trucks. He's got quite a collection. AC Mack, LTL Mack, several B models. He's had lots of others over the years. Anyway, his educated guess is a White, mid/late 20's to early 30's based on the C cab. He said something else I can't repeat.... lol. So there's another option to ponder! Junkyard
She was looking for a year and model of truck to help date it. Obviously it isn't but if it was older than 1913 I guess it could arguably have been among the first. It sounds like everyone agrees at least it is a mid to late twenties truck, no consensus yet on make. Like you say no way to know when it was taken but her information was that it was owned by a company that was out of business by 1918 but something is off there. I appreciate the interest, I will send her a link to this thread.
It is a Mack AB model, year 1923 to 1926. fast_st had the correct answer. Truck Shop
Thanks Truck Shop, I learned a lot about c cab trucks in a short amount of time!