I found a D7F with the serial # of 94N1519 and he is telling me that it has the better transmission. I'd always heard that the better tranny wasn't available until around the mid 4000 serial number? I appreciate any advice/knowledge you would care to share regarding this particular dozer as I am new to the dozer world and trying to avoid buying someone else's headache. I posted another thread regarding a D6C 10K and received several good responses and am driving up to look at that gal today, only to discover this D7F is along my route. I was originally looking for a 7 since I plan on doing some timber work with it. Any thoughts/advice between these two dozer's? I know the 7 is heavier and will push more, but it sounds like the 6C is a sweet machine while the 7 sounds like it's been ran hard. Again, I'd appreciate your thought's/input. Thanks, Dan
Dan - No, unless it has had major transmission alterations - 94N1519 is an early D7F, built in 1970 and has the early transmission. The later 2P series transmission did not appear until tractor S/N 94N5192 in January 1973. The 2P transmission is a smaller transmission than the original earlier transmission that was fitted to the D7E and early D7F. The 2P transmission is actually the D6C transmission. This transmission was fitted with different gearing on the reduction gearcase on the rear of the transmission, so it runs at a much faster speed than the early transmission. The bevel gear gearing for the 2P is also different to the earlier transmission. The 2P transmission is a high-speed, low-torque transmission - as compared to the early D7E/D7F transmission, which is a low-speed, high-torque transmission. The 2P tranmission is trouble free, the early transmission is a costly transmission to maintain. The D7F is a much heavier tractor than the D6C, but it requires a heavier lowboy and possibly more axles to transport, too. The D6C will do a lot of work, but the D7F does it better and easier. If you have a choice, a D6C 10K is a better tractor than an early model D7F. The late model D7F is a good tractor, as is the D7G. There were a lot of engineering improvements in the later D7F's.
I would take a D7G over any D7F any day of the week. Also a D7E over a D7F also.