Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can controller/ computer be tested? Hitachi excavator

Learning ยท 2016-06-22 12:06

Still struggling w/ the ex55ur alarm/lockup thing. Have followed up on suggestions. WONDERING - Troubleshooting chart for collision alarm issues says that a blinking LED (under the seat) indicates a controller problem. While the symptoms listed for that don't match ours - OUR LED IS BLINKING - I'm thinking maybe the computer is kaput?? We have the system light on with the continuous alarm(squeally buzz) and the blinking red LED. Can the controller be tested at a shop? Is there any "reprogramming" to these things? Is there a 'home' test procedure? Again, thanks to everybody for your thoughts.

Replies7
  1. #1Delmer2016-06-22 15:22

    Probably nothing helpful, but if you haven't tried it yet, disconnect the battery for 5 minutes, or overnight, and see if anything changes when you hook it back up.

  2. #2John C.2016-06-22 20:28

    Sounds like the typical gray market machine that came here with those systems and no support. On the Komatsu machines that made it in the systems were manufactured by another company and installed on the excavators as a safety system. The articulated booms can move in such a way as to allow the bucket to hit the cab. I got a partial troubleshooting chart for the Komatsu machines through some back channels but what I got doesn't work on any other manufacture's system. All I can say is good luck and let us know what you can find out.

  3. #3Learning2016-06-23 16:56

    I have the manuals for this machine. (Got them via Russia There is a troubleshooting diagnostic that followed, but then we don't "follow" the possibilities. For example we have a blinking LED light under the seat with the lockup of controls and the system light. Blew out the underseat area and console area - pretty full of stuff. No bare wires, no blown fuses, no loose connections. Four guys are here right now including former owner. Excavator began to function in "jerky" fashion not all functions. Then eventually after a pause and starting again, hydraulics all worked, blade could be put up and down, and it would move. Alarm went silent. Now alarm is on and it's not functioning again. Will keep you posted.

  4. #4Learning2016-06-23 23:08

    Didn't mean to post that w/o proofreading. I meant that there is a troubleshooting section for the collision control system that we followed. Our symptoms don't follow the possibilities on the list. We have the blinking light (LED) that is mentioned elsewhere in the steps of the list. The blinking light says it's the controller. -- but as I said, the steps leading to that diagnosis are not our symptoms. The end result of the 4 friends examining the excavator is that it still is not working. Our interlude when it did function, was just that-- an interlude. The alarm was on part of the time when the arm was semifunctioning. Yes, it did go off for awhile when it was working. It's back on and we still have no real idea. One of the men said that it's electrical, but he doesn't think it's the brain/contoller. Another believes that he in - line universal fuel pump that I put on is causing a problem with the electrical system. That's it so far. Oh, we found a crack in a plug of the wires that run from the angle sensor along the arm of the excavator. Keep suggestion, I'll keep reporting in.

  5. #5Learning2018-05-30 14:32

    Don't believe I ever posted the rest of this story. I was contacted through this forum by an outfit that tests/repairs heavy equipment electronics, etc. Sent them the controller - they tested it and said it was bad and not repairable. We found what might have been the last new controller in the western hemisphere for this machine. $2000 later, we put it in and guess what? It did the same thing. Two tech visits later from a local company, a bad spot in a wire was found. Machine operates nicely now. Tried old computer/controller - machine worked fine. Of course, the folks who pronounced the original controller bad would not refund what we paid them, and we now have a lifetime supply of controllers, but the machine is working fine now. Again, thanks to everyone who took the time to help us figure this out.

  6. #6Tones2018-05-30 16:38

    Thanks for posting the end of your dramas. Unfortunately and sadly a lot of posters don't .

  7. #7Birken Vogt2018-05-30 18:11

    Occasionally I will end up with some expensive part I have no use for, and ebay buy it now seems to work to get rid of it. Mind you the shipping+fees are quite high (10-20% last thing I sold) but sure beats sitting on expensive inventory for a long time. Sometimes it can take a long time to sell (like years) but I usually can get rid of everything eventually. I figure either it will go by ebay or I will use it for a customer eventually.