Having some issues with my cat 299d3. Only has 85 hours on it. I don't use it often but the other day I was using it and it all came to a stop. And the can data link loss came on screen no functions worked I shut machine down turned battery connector off for 30 min and back on was fine. Today I started it few minutes later it shut down and same fault. This time after disconnecting battery won't turn on or do anything just that fault. has 12.8v I checked battery connections and grounds I checked the ohms on diagnostic port and it's 58.9 ohms what should I look for next before I bring it to dealer and pay thousands
Couple of thoughts. 1. Try resetting the display. Key off Disconnect battery for a few minutes Reconnect battery Key on Press and hold the two outermost buttons on the display for 15 seconds. 2. If option 1 does not work, try disconnecting the battery overnight. Post a Serial Number. You are probably going to need an electrical schematic. Meantime I will look up the troubleshooting procedure(s) for a lost CAN Datalink.
Between which two pins where you measuring resistance.? To test either of the two datalinks really requires a Pico scope.
I tried option one no luck
Ah, you have ET. That makes it easier. I see from that screenshot it says Active Codes present. Got a list.? EDIT: Note for future reference. You posted in the wrong section, this one is for full-size steel track machines. I have requested that your thread be moved to the CTL/MTL section.
Those are all FMI13 "requires calibration" Codes, not failures per se. How exactly did you get into the situation where you are now.? Has the software in any of the machine ECMs been updated recently.?
Not recently I had the machine deleted and ecm updated for def dpf egr delete but that was when I bought it new I did it at around 5 hours been good till now 86 hours on it. I was just moving some metal with the forks. And it stopped dead in its tracks. But was still running with the data link lost on screen. I shut it down killed battery switch for 20-30 min and it was fine. Drove it back to the driveway shut it off started it yesterday and right away it shut down on me and thru same fault on screen and now I can't get it to start back up or get rid of fault
It's a good job you are in Canada or the conversation would have ended right there. It's not forum policy to assist with deleted machines in markets where the aftetreatment system is a legally-mandated requirement. I don't know what Canada is like but in other markets no dealer would agree to work on a deleted machine for fear of incurring the wrath of the relevant authority. There are two 60-ohm terminating resistors on the CAN Datalink, so you should have measured 30 ohms not 60. Maybe that's the first place to go looking. Confirm you were measuring across Pins F & G on the service tool connector.? I'll send you an electrical schematic. Keep an eye on your messages.
Do you have a contact for the company that did the delete? I also see by looking at your et screen that the engine ecm is not available. It should be showing up when you connect et.
I know it's not from the delete as I've put 80 hours on it since delete and I only had 5 hours on it when I deleted it. Yes in Canada and don't have the regulations like some US states do I'll check again when home the resistance
I wouldn't say that is necessarily true. Just because it worked OK for X hours after whatever was done to it does not mean you can rule out the possibility of an issue with what was done previously and worked fine - if you get my drift. Don't rule it out. As @Mobiltech says, the fact that the engine ECM is not appearing on the ET screen is a potential indication of either a comms issue (CAT or CAN Datalink, or maybe both) or an internal problem within the engine ECM. Make sure you are checking the correct pins for the CAN Datalink. See above.
Could the lack of engine ecm comm be a result of a bad ground strap on the engine like the 259/279d have from time to time. Was it deleted via programming or a sensor fooling device
The reason I asked about the delete provider is that if you end up replacing or reflashing the engine ecm for any reason you will have to get the software installed by them in order for it to work. The dealer will only install the cat factory software which will no longer work in your case.
Yes deleted via programming sent the ecm out 80hours ago
Why why why would someone delete a 5 hrs machine? Before you take that all wrong I not a fan of emissions, but, we are now all thinking might be a delete issue. I have replaced 2 ecms due to hardware failure weeks or years after a delete. One the tuner apparently has to disassemble the ecm and an internal screw rattled loose and shorted the injector driver. Another the vent plug was nor put back in and rain water funneled into the ecm. Then the whole ball game of needing to have the ecm programmed and then refreshed with the delete. It's just not as cool as it's cracked up to be.
They didn't open the ecm just plugged into it on the bench so no vent plugs or screws were touched
Deletes are done on the machine through Et with teamviewer. At least that’s what I’ve heard.
As a new member you may not be aware that it is forum policy not to supply advice regarding any system designed to defeat legally-mandated emissions devices. So you’re probably advertising in the wrong place.
Lots of misinformation in here surrounding delete process from people that are quite obviously not familiar with it. @emostock this is 100% tuner issue and you need to get them back on the phone and connected to the machine. They flashed the wrong ECM, most likely copied/pasted from wrong folder or your machine is the first time they've worked with that model. You are well on your way to a $100k brick, and if you take this to a dealer you will a check for $20k to get the emissions equipment reinstalled. Your other option is finding a non-CAT mobile tech that will actually work with you vs the dealer employees. $180/hr, have fun. I have to laugh at anybody that says stuff like "why would you delete a machine with 5 hours on it!"
@emostock send me an email address via DM where I can contact you outside of this forum, there are things you need to check that might have been overlooked
Well in that case you're laughing at me as well....... When the complete aftertreatment system is warranted by the manufacturer for 5 years irrespective of hours and even allows for changes of ownership in that time I have difficulty understanding why anyone would want to mess with the system on a brand-new machine, even in Canada (where the OP is located) where it is not a legal requirement as it is South of the 49th parallel.
I think the guys that only work on heavy equipment lose perspective on the average owner/operator that isn't using the equipment 10 hours per day for revenue generating activities. A lot of people purchasing equipment in the size/price range of CTLs are planning on long term ownership. 5 years doesn't mean **** to someone looking for a long term solution. 5 years of allowing exhaust regurgitation and carbon buildup means nothing as soon as that 5 years ends and CAT now has you by the nuts. $12k in DPF removal/cleaning/swaps at 5 years and 6 months might not mean a lot to a full time excavation or paving company, but that is significant coin for private use. The whole setup is a scam that only benefits tax collectors and OEMs.
Your covered for 5 years worry about it then. You also voided the warranty on the rest of the machine.
To be clear, I'm not advocating for this, but I do understand the mentality. The equipment I use for making money is not treated the same way as long term private use. You also discount experiences people may have had with dealerships. There absolutely are dealerships out there that will do everything possible to get out of warranty work.
They replaced my main engine harness today under warranty still same issue I'll have cat come back out and take a look again
Magnusson-Moss does not allow voiding of warranties for something that has nothing to do with the modification. Probably something similar in Canada.
I hear you but they will argue that you up the power and caused a over load
We are having this same issue, "Can Data Link Lost". Where would we check the resistors mentioned above? I guess where are the resistors located?
You could start with a machine Serial Number. That gets you an appropriate electrical schematic for that S/N. The schematic contains the location information. Please post a photo of the message that comes up on your display screen.
Our machine is actually a 272D Serial#: BL201241, 2021 mfg date I don't have an image of the message on the monitor but looks exactly like the images posted by emostock when this forum/chat was started (exactly the same screen/ faults)
Not to worry, that's why the S/N is key to everything. Check your message inbox for an electrical schematic. When you come to checking the CAN resistors if you measure at one point in the harness you should get a result of 30 ohms. I know there are two resistors and each one is rated at 60 ohms but they are in parallel so the effective resistance as a pair is not 60 ohms, or even 120 ohms as some people seem to think.
I do need to clarify, CAN architecture is based on a pair of 120 ohm resistors in parallel between CAN high and CAN low wires. If you check anywhere on the circuit between high and low you should get 60 ohms. R total= ( R 1× R 2) / ( R 1 + R 2) 60= (120X120) / (120+120) 60= (14400) / (240) CAN low is 2.5 volts idle pulled low to 1.5 CAN high is 2.5 volts idle pulled high to 3.5 in a mirror image This is handy to know because if you get 120 ohms anywhere on the circuit, you likely have an open in the harness that has taken 1 resistor out. If you get lower than 60 you probably have a shorted harness or component. I also fully agree that any major CAN diagnosis really requires a scope as Nige pointed out in the 3rd post on this thread. As far as this latest machine, these kubota powered CTLs and SSLs have had a tremendous amount of engine harness problems. You will very likely end up there.
My bad. From memory I thought they were 60 ohm each which would mean that anywhere on the network would measure 30 ohms if both resistors were functioning correctly. That's not the case.
Totally agree with greasynails in issues with harness. Nige has schooled me on tracing individual sensor problems back to PCM on my 2018 299 D2. I am not electrically inclined but have been able to repair a couple of nagging issues with a meter and some patience.