Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can I go up this hill?

toomacho ยท 2009-04-07 14:57

This is a hill that I need to go down then back up on my property. There is an area that I would like to dig out for a small pond there. I am not too worried about going down the hill, but am wondering if this is safe to go back up! My machine is an 863. Just for the record, I have had no trouble going up with a Kubota L2900 or even a Ford 8-N tractor in the past. Guess I could back up the hill if needed. I am still getting used to this machine and it feels like it could go over anytime I get it on a hill! What do you think?

Replies24
  1. #1mudmaker2009-04-07 15:14

    Dont know about a bobcat, but my Case would have no problems there. if you are unsure put some dirt in the bucket the first time.

  2. #2takdude2009-04-07 16:00

    no problem

  3. #3qball2009-04-07 17:39

    nose down, back up. she'll be fine.

  4. #4CM19952009-04-07 20:41

    The thing about skid steers, they are stable up and down on a slope with the heavy end pointed up the slope. Sometimes this means backing up with and empty bucket or driving forward up the slope with a loaded bucket. Skid steers are not as stable on a slope side ways. Most of your rollover occurances are due to the skid rolling on its side due to a steep slope or drop off. In 20 years of running skids, I have stood them on their ends and on their nose, knock on wood - I have never rolled one over. Get a nice load of dirt in the bucket and try going up the slope slowly. I wouldn't try it when it is wet. The 863 is a good machine, I had one for a while, although the Duetz engine left a little to be desired IMOP.

  5. #5td25c2009-04-07 21:18

    Do as the other members have said by climbing the hill with some dirt in the bucket.In time you will get a good feel of the skidloader.When in steep or rough terrain keep the loader down until you are back on good terrain.And keep movement slow and steady.

  6. #6joedirt2009-04-08 00:46

    Steep Hil One thing a guy may look into would be a 4 in 1 or clamshell bucket. It's been my experience that this extra weight of the bucket will help the stability of the machine when climbing steep hills. This has been proven several times when we load our machine onto our equipment hauling trailer. The machine will tend to wheelie when loading with a standard bucket and will load with ease with our 4 in 1 bucket. :my2c

  7. #7toomacho2009-04-08 09:33

    Going for it.. Thanks for the excellent advice. I think I am going to go for it. I live in the North GA foothills, so I might as well get used to working around these hills!:yup I also must say that this is one of the best forums that I have ever used. I am a member of several other clubs and many times I see people flamed because of noobee type questions like mine! I appreciate the courtesy.

  8. #8CM19952009-04-08 09:46

    Any operator out there was a noobie at some time.

  9. #9bill onthehill2009-04-08 14:30

    Yes we were. I learn a lot from the forum. Now if I could just remember more of it! The best advice I can offer is watch those wet leaves and always wear your seat belt. My hill is a lot steeper than that and I have slid my RTV in 4wd low range on leaves.

  10. #10Cretebaby2009-04-08 14:49

    This is true But to me there is a differemce between a noobie question and a question from someone that obviously lacks commmon sense and should not be let within 10' of any peice of machinery PS This is in no way directed towards Toomacho

  11. #11xrlentau62009-04-14 19:52

    Doesnt seem like much of a hill, but saying that I once did a job where it was as step as anything you would want to take a 753 up, at the end of the day I took a few pics got home and looked at the pics and was thinking it didnt look to steep. Things always seem steeper when your the one in the machine. But yes much better to be asking if you should be going up a hill like that rather than asking how do you get a skid back on its wheels.

  12. #12TractorAU2009-04-15 04:27

    Those pics cant be in South Australia, it never rains here: D

  13. #13Big Dazzler2009-04-15 06:25

    Havent heard how toomacho went, maybe he didnt make it and is sitting upside down at the bottom :beatsme

  14. #14toomacho2009-04-15 06:36

    Still upright Nope, Im still alive! ointlaugh It has been raining pretty steady the past few weeks so I put that project on hold. The hill is MUCH steeper than the picture shows for some reason. When I posted it, I thought that it did not look like much either. It is fairly steep, takes a left turn as you go up and has lots of rocks and roots to keep things interesting! If you see another thread on how to get an 863 back upright, welll then you will know that it didn't go so well.

  15. #15xrlentau62009-04-15 19:47

    Remeber that one time in 1978? Nah it was last year, second day into the job and down it came, lucky by then I had a pretty good track and didnt have to go on the wet grass. One of those jobs where it had to be done. Who ever dug the footings, dug them out loaded in to a truck and dumped on the next block, and then the people next door ring up and say they are ready to start building so move it now. I didnt mind as thats the kind of work i like doing, just not so much in that area with the hills. Is up near Hewett takes twices as long to load the truck as normal.

  16. #16RocksnRoses2009-04-15 23:22

    Welcome to the forum, TractorAU. Squizzy will be pleased that another croweater has joined up. If it never rains in Adelaide, what do you think it is like out here where we are on YP. Adelaide gets more rain than we do. I don't think I have ever seen it as dry as what it is now. Rn'R.

  17. #17Squizzy246B2009-04-16 00:35

    More Croweaters...:Banghead:Banghead Rain....rain only comes when I pour concrete...its April, and I'veonly done two pours this year and guess what...two days of rain:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead I saw a pigeon yesterday..he was flyin backwards to keep the dust outa his eyes

  18. #18TractorAU2009-04-16 01:49

    Thanks for the welcome Rocksn'Roses, one by one us Croweaters will take over the forum and i'm sure Squizzy will be a Croweater too before long.

  19. #19Hendrik2009-04-16 06:20

    Now now now be nice, I have been to WA (have stamp in passport to prove it and customs made me sign a declaration) and I could tell you all sorts of tales about the nice folks over in the west. Anywho I poured a slab the other day and it didn't rain but it sort of half showered for about 3 minutes today but I have a retaining wall to finish, that might do it:thumbsup

  20. #20Country2009-04-16 15:16

    What didn't you like with the Duetz??

  21. #21CM19952009-04-18 11:05

    Parts were more expensive than normal, even for Bobcat. We had problems after 1000 hours with the fuel pump solenoid - went out every 200-300 hours. Also had to replace the fuel pump twice. When I traded the 863 in it had right at 2000 hours. It's not that I hated the Deutz, I just think there are better engines out there.

  22. #22Country2009-04-20 12:45

    Ok, I'm having some trouble with mine is why I asked. None of the problems that you had though... Thanks for the reply.

  23. #23Heavy Fuel2009-04-30 12:49

    Weight Distribution/Hills Be careful to know your skid steer's weight distribution first. Check out www.skidsteersmackdown.com -- eye-opening!

  24. #24jeboyd1292009-05-09 11:54

    shouldnt have any problem