have a tandem axle single tire pintle hitch trailer . rated for 16,000lbs and have to pull. a case 580sl 4x4 backhoe. i dont have to comply soth DOT rules since im in a rural town out in mexico. and only need to move it about 30 miles max.
pulling with a kenworth dumptruck.
If the tires are good 10 ply and the roads aren't total horse$hit you'd probably be ok. Assuming the floor and trailer is in good shape. You'll know pretty quick once you load if it's up to the challenge. Keep speed down to a reasonable pace and you should be ok. Others my see it different but that's what makes the world go around! Junkyard
What size tires, their load rating and condition?
Your base machine with 4wd will weigh in at 14,000 lbs., cab add 500lbs, 4x1 bucket add 600 lbs., extendahoe add 470 lbs., front weight add 500 lbs.. Weight wise your close depending on options. Your trailer type, tire and wheels would be my only concern. I would prefer a 9 ton trailer myself, a short move with good tires you should be ok.
its cheaper to buy brand new tires then finding another decent trailer downhere. or how hard is it to convert to dual, or tri axle?
Without exceeding pintle rating, could he put more on the tongue since he has enough of a truck to handle it? Or, run up trailer and into dump box with hoe? DB
If your ramps don't hold up the trailer while loading, I would block the back to take some of the stress off when loading it.
Single tire to a dual usually does not work out. The frame width is different on the ones I considered doing that to. To add an extra axle is usually pretty simple but harder on tires when turning. May have to drive with bucket in air to distribute weight. What size tires did you say those were and number of lugs on wheel?
its an 8lug 16.5 tires i believe
Good thought Shimmy . That's what we do . Block the tailboard on the trailer so it don't lift the tractor wheels off the ground while loading / off loading . HeavyEquipmentForums
Load range on the tires is also a issue, 16.5 D series will only take around 6k per axle, E or F series is better at 7200 but will heat up at speed and you may lose one or two if aged at all from flexing. Go to duals and add half again to the rates.
Labparamour= If he did go into the box with the hoe, won't that pretty much ruin the area of the box that the how is in, because it will dig sown everytime he turns? I personally don't have this problem because I have good equipment. I.E. 30' Custom Built* gooseneck equipment trailer with dovetail ramps, GVWR of 15,500 pounds, tandem axle, dual wheeled.
also a 2017 model.
So the tricky part is the math, and the axle ratings, are they tandem 8k axles for 16k or are they doing funny math and saying two 6k axles and 6k on the hitch?
OP described using KW as tow vehicle. I was picturing a dump truck w 10+ yard box. I've seen backhoes transported entirely in the dump box. That was what I was suggesting: driving up trailer then driven up into dump box for the trip. (Sorry, I abbreviated backhoe to "hoe"...wasn't meaning to have the hoe bucket only riding in box) Darryl
We had an old feller, would hook the front bucket over the dump tailgate and flat tow his backhoe a dozen miles. Beat the hell out of the truck gate and loader arms.