Any thoughts on hauling a cat d4d (10 tons) with a IH 4700 (Allison mt 653 at) and hudson 12 ton pintle hitch with air brakes .
I wouldn't see a problem there. Is the IH a 26k or 33k truck? Just make sure the trailer breaks work good and keep the slack adjustors tight. Hills may be slow but flat lands no problem in my opinion
I have hauled around 10 ton combined trailer and load with my 4700. DT530E 275hp, MD3060 Allison. The weight really isn't much of a problem, the hitch ratings (including the mounting) and the condition of the trailer will play a big role. I sure wish I had a deeper gear set or about 50 more hp for the hills of PA though!
My C65 Chevy (27500 LB) hauls regularly an 8 ton backhoe on a 9 ton trailer. Engine is 427 gas. Hills are slow both directions, but the rest of the chassis does OK. My young friend borrowed it to take several loads of scrap to the salvage yard. He towed his grandfather's 20 ton. After, I learned he'd peaked at a weight slip of 42,000. I was a bit upset with him. Willie
Thanks to all those who replied to my post. The IH is 28800 I think lts a little under power with a DT 360 but I live in fairly flat country. My concern is hauling about 80 miles to a track repair shop in raleigh nc 50 miles of interstate at 55 mph . another concern is the mt653 Allison transmission.