I just bought a 580 Super E late 1987 model serial # 17044773 (has wet Brakes). Problem is I cannot shift gears with engine running. I have tried placing shuttle lever in the neutral position and shifting from neural to 3rd and it grinds, appears to grind when trying to place it in any gear. I just bought this tractor I ran it, loaded on trailer. But all the time it was in 2nd gear and just used the forward/reverse shuttle lever when getting off tractor with it running. I have tried to shift with the forward/reverse shuttle lever on the steering column in the neutral position in order to change gears, but the gears grind when I try that. Only way I can shift is to shut off the engine and then shift and then Start the tractor. At first I was thinking the cut out switches on the floor and the loader lever were both bad or the clutch solenoid was bad. I am now wondering if I have more of a problem than Just the Cut out Solenoid not working? Perhaps I have a bigger problem? Thanks
Start by checking if the switch's are working , the one on the loader lever would be a good place to start.
I believe a shuttle rebuild is in your future. My guess is one or both clutch packs have warped steels in them causing the output shaft to spin all the time. This would make gear shifts near impossible while the engine was running. Been there, done that.
That was my first thought but on thinking about it shouldn't I be able to shift it with shuttle in neural position ? Guess I will have to start my 580C to see it I can shift it that way also. Everything becomes so automatic from years of repetition.
Thanks for that information sounds like it may be the problem I will just keep it in 2nd gear around my place.
Check the shuttle shift linkage and verify that it is applying full stroke between the FNR positions in the shuttle.