I have a John Deere 310 SG, PIN- *TO310SG937321*, that is popping out of gear and into neutral. This happens after the machine is warmed up a little and when I am using the front bucket to pick up a load of dirt or lower a load of dirt and this happens in any gear speed and in forward or reverse. Also, to get it to pop back into gear I can do a couple things, 1.) Pop the clutch disconnect switch a 1-5 times, 2.)Activate the Parking Brake dash switch and then deactivate this method usually works first try however it sometimes has taken 2 times to pop back into gear, 3.) move the FNR switch Into neutral then back into either Forward or Reverse this usually takes 2-4 times to work and pop back into gear. Did check a couple things, 1.) Made sure all Fluids were checked and at the correct level. 2.) Checked the clutch disconnect switch, tested good, so I disconnected the connector and jumped it, still pops out of gear. 3.)I tried testing the Forward solenoid to see if it has power, and from what I can tell in the manual, it is the middle blue wire on connector to the solenoids. When I back probe it, the solenoid has power when it popped out of gear. Also, if I push the clutch disconnect in it cuts power to the Forward solenoid. 4.) While testing the FNR lever, the manual states to hook up a 12V power source to the FNR switch to test. I did not so I don’t know how it would affect the continuity test, but these are the results according to the manual.- The 4 Pin connector tested good, but the 7-pin connector never had continuity with the (C) pin no matter what gear speed I put the lever in. So according to John Deere’s test the lever failed, since in gear speed 1,2,3 the C pin should have continuity with the E Pin. I’m confused on this because if this is constant how would the problem not be constant? Also, could not hooking up a 12V power source cause this. Tried to get as much info. as I could into one post, thanks to anyone who responds!
You sure the wiring is good. It is not usually the switch that is the issue, it is usually the wiring.
I tested it by disconnecting the connector then jumping it, then made sure it had power when it was popping out of gear and it did. Then I went down to the Forward solenoid, back-probed the wire going to the Forward solenoid and it had power while the Machine was popping out of gear, I then undid my jumper wire at the Clutch disconnect connector and power was cut to the forward solenoid. That’s how I tested it, switch is good and wiring is good to the solenoid.
It should be a 6 pin connector, and the continuity check should be from pin "E" (the tan wire) and pins A,B,C or D (blue wires) depending on which speed is selected. I personally do not use continuity testing. I backprobe (carefully) to test supply voltage at "E", then output voltages at A,B,C and D. Try to capture your voltages when the issue is occurring. If you have no voltage to "E" when the issue is occurring, then the timer relay is most likely the issue (see below to isolate the timer relay). If voltage is lost to A,B,C and D, then the FNR is the issue. The FNR as well as the timer relay were common issues with those backhoes. Under your instrument panel, there is a timer relay (K7). Temporarily jump the two tan wires (J27 and J28) together to see if your issue goes away.
It might be a 6 Pin I looked at it a week ago so I’m just going off memory, As for the timer relays are there two separate relays? One for Speed and one for FNR? Also, which one is the one attached to the Rear right wheel well? I pretty sure it is the speed one, but I’m not sure. I’ll keep the thread updated, probably get to work on it within a week.
Only one. For the speed, and yes, it is mounted on the inside of the right wheel well.
Okay, got some time to look do a quick test, I am pretty sure the timer relay has already been replaced before just by looking at it, I did confirm when I am jumping out of gear, I lose my (E) pin connection power(+) from the timer relay, which is the Tan wire. I want to do some testing at the Timer relay but there is no connector for me to test at since the wires are heatshrinked. Should I just poke some holes carefully and test my inputs and outputs to confirm wiring is fine? I’ll include pictures of the current timer relay, Also, in the picture you will see there is a red wire with heat shrink but no corresponding wire, any idea why?
That is correct. You have the newest style timer relay and that is the way it is wired. Is your machine by chance kicking out of gear only after the "Return to Dig" kicks out? Check your messages.
Tested it this morning, it kicks out of gear every time the return to dig kicks out. Never really noticed this specifically as I generally don't use the return to dig function. After seeing what you sent me, it seems like the AT423323 harness is the part I need.
Is there a way for me to isolate the Electromagnet, "AT464505 timer relay kicks out when return to dig kicks out due to a voltage spike from the return to dig electromagnet causing the transmission to kick out of gear", So I can use the machine for a couple days while waiting for parts?
I would assume I could Isolate the return to dig circuit according to this diagram.
Yep. Just unplug the proximity switch up on the upper right boom pivot pin. See if you can run the machine without issues. Yep again.
Machine is running perfectly now, So my understanding is I need that harness -AT423323, then the machine will be good to go.
Sounds like it. And the 2 west coast warehouses (Denver, Co., and Lathrop, CA.) have it in stock.
Good day what is the reason for the harness AT423323 because I have the same issues
Good day
If you installed the new timer relay, then the harness is required to properly wire the new relay since the new relay is different than the old relay.
Okay thank you…where do I get the instructions to wire the new harness? Do you know how to do it, if so can you please assist me
Where exactly does this new harness go and do i still need to disconnect the return to dig switch after this is done?
Good day where does this harness go again the AT423323 thank you for your help
I wired it between the return to dig switch and the wiring harness going to the return to dig switch, If I remember right, connectors didn’t match, so I just made new ones with a Deutsch connector.
Thank you….when it arrives I’ll do the same and that should solve the issue with it jumping out of gear into neutral
Check your messages. Instructions for the relay wiring will be there, if you installed one.
Thank you soooo much….everything is super clear now….as soon as it arrives in 2 weeks time I’ll install it and let you know about the results thank you all so much
Is there a way you can send me instructions also? I'm digging into mine because it's doing the same thing....
Ahh good day I’ll respond quicker [email protected] or 16644935894 add me I’m on both iMessage and WhatsApp