Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can’t Find Full Diagnostics Mode On Deere 318D

PepeSilvia12 ยท 2021-05-03 20:08

I'm getting a code 523694.12 (Aux Hyd Channel 2 Input). I've read other threads and the way to confirm it's the switch is to go into diagnostic mode and look at the voltages. The instructions I saw said to go into service mode (hold down menu 5 seconds) -> Diagnostics -> Right Hand Joystick. I do not have that option. Under Diagnostics I have Switches (1/8), Sensors (2/8), Speeds (3/8), EMU Outputs (4/8), ECU Outputs (5/8), EMU Power (6/8), ECU Power (7/8), Controller Info (8/8). I went through all those and couldn't find the Aux Voltage. Is there a different path I need to take?

Replies4
  1. #1mg23612021-05-04 05:40

    If you have a manual machine and not an "EH" machine then you do not have an auxiliary roller input reading available in the monitor diagnostics. The only reading you can see for auxiliary on a manual machine is in the EMU output labeled Aux Extend/Retract amperage. Unfortunately that reading doesn't help with Aux roller diagnostics. Procedure in the manual states, " Clear code, cycle key switch, operate auxiliaries, if code returns replace switch".

  2. #2PepeSilvia122021-05-04 09:41

    Thank you, that explains it. I had the same code ~6 months ago, but it was a wiring issue (rats got in and chewed the wire that went to the solenoid). That makes the manual recommendation seem a little bit 'brute force'. I'll break open the handle and check the voltages the old fashioned way.

  3. #3PepeSilvia122021-05-04 11:57

    Adding this for anyone who happens to search by code in the future. I disassembled the handle (removed the three torx screws/nuts, then was able to open enough to pop out the switch plate with the aux control), but there is still no place to measure the voltages - the wires are insulated all the way into the switch. I noticed there was some condensation on the switch. I got some electrical contact cleaner and sprayed it into the holes in the switch. It is now working. I can't say 100% that this was the final fix or that it was coincidental, but it did fix it for now.

  4. #4PepeSilvia122021-05-11 09:28

    The fix did not remain. I ended up replacing the entire handle (at a cost of ~$420).